JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I thought this thread was about school.

Ya I don't belong in this thread.

I'm old enough to remember grace and class.
It wasn't about putting on airs, it was about having dignity and manners regardless of the money in your pocket.
It was also about integrity.
The breakup of the nuclear family ultimately begat self absorption and irresponsibility.

I'm also old enough to think of Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers, Lauren Bacall, Bogart and others of that era when I think of class.

I dressed according to the job. If there was a chance of getting radioactive contamination on my clothes, I dressed casual. If I was interfacing with other groups in the company, I dressed more formally (but never a tie).

It wasn't about putting on airs, it was about having dignity and manners regardless of the money in your pocket.
The breakup of the nuclear family ultimately begat self absorption and irresponsibility.

I'm also old enough to think of Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers, Lauren Bacall, Bogart and others of that era when I think of class.
YUP!

I remember when women would NEVER wear anything but a dress and heels, and men would never wear anything but Slacks and a button shirt and nice hat!

Its like those stupid "battleworn" paint jobs people get on their guns.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that totally does not get why that is a thing. So don't get it. :confused:

If a person thinks only on themself first, others naturally come after. Now factor in an entitlement mantality, self worth based on participation trophies and a digital existence and you have today.

^ There is a lot of wisdom in these posts, in my humble opinion. I too strongly suspect the notion that one is the "center of the universe" does contribute to the insanity in society.

And, indeed, good manners isn't about being prudish or snobby. Far from it; I remember one of the modern publications from Emily Post Institute called it simply "the lubricating oil in society". Or as my Irish mum would have put it, "Don't be a Johnny Jackass."

As to attire, I normally keep it business casual, unless I'm working in the forest or land. Ditto my beloved. (Parenthetically a minor annoyance I've found in films and television is that programmers wear lab coats. Eh, the overwhelming majority of us don't. Though I did once as an inside joke. :p)

A house at 21!? How the bubblegum? I dont even have enough credit to put payments on an iphone none the less a privlaged bubblegum house!

As far as the topic is concerned, screw suits. When im "going out" i wear jeans boots white t and throw on my A2 jacket. Consequently thats also me "dressing up". Normaly youll find me in a carhart sweatshirt jeans and leather vans or leather chuck taylors. All stars remain the best looking shoes ever designed IMO.
Keep the clothes simple, plain colors and let the shoes shine
To keep it short, his dad died early on and he collected a fair bit of life insurance he "earned" and likes to tell us he did it all on his own

I wear jeans, a polo untucked for work or a Grunt Style T on weekends. Always carrying. For those here that have met me, yes I was armed. :)

Always a hat. I'm bald as hell.

I don't own a suit, a tie or even a pair of dress shoes. If it's a formal thing, I'm usually sick. :s0140:

I wore suits for six years. Good suits and good shoes and accessories. I sucked up the dry cleaning bills all that time as well.
I then transitioned into a different field and wore jeans, a sportshirt and boots until I was permanently/temporarily laid off forever.

Now I live at my bol and rarely venture into town and when I do I dress neatly in whatever suits my fancy and is practical.
Although I'd probably stroke out before I walked from town to home, whoever found my body would see practical footwear on my stiff feet.
Always a prepper. ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads