JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Recently I have heard people talking of "retiring" to Costa Rica where the cost of living is cheaper, or Bugging out to another central American country... I've even heard of people saying well we can move to Australia where the economy is booming, and unemployment is almost unheard of. Some talk about New Zealand being so remote.. as if moving to one of these places will save your ***.
Possibly your thinking of doing a "Bill Clinton" and running to Canada, Eh?!
Personally I believe that when the US tanks, being the only real stabilizing force in the world, no where will be safe. What do you think?

I would disagree for the most part. Mainly because I don't see the entire world collapsing if the U.S. heads into a multi-year depression (I'm guessing that is what you are referring to). The developing middle class (plus improving conditions in the lower classes) in China and India are going to drive growth in this century regardless of what the U.S. economy is like. That is my opinion anyway.

As for establishing a presence overseas, I personally would own a home in a second country long before I would own a second one here in the U.S.. For personal reasons my choice would be Canada, but I would have no hesitation owning a location in any country that has a history of protecting property rights. While I would not give up my U.S. citizenship, I could see myself living outside our borders for any number of reasons. I suppose that since I already did that at one point in my life the thought of doing that in the future is always there.

"the retire on a beach in costa rica for $2500" is an old line Iv heard many times...from what I can tell it mostly comes from the returning vets from Vietnam era who did not fit in here and were trying to get away to a cheap and secluded place where they could drink away the rest of there life on cheap tequilla in a little beach hut...

Bugging out is not about this, or a permananet salavtion from a colapse/emergency, only a temporary means to out wait any immidate threats with the ulitmate goal in restablishing order.

If survival is your primary consideration, leaving the country is your best option. The rich are bugging out in droves. Even Bill Gates has re-located to New Zealand. Storm clouds on the horizon - lighting in the air - if you're paying attention - you can almost smell it.

I lived in Costa Rica for a couple of years. Put it this way, everything's broken and nobody speaks English. Add to that, bugs like you wouldn't believe; humidity that will destroy all your books, photos, clothes...and it makes it feel like someone took the sheets out of the dryer WAY too soon. AND, no guns. At all. Even if you happen to have one ( I had a .22 single shot ), good luck finding bullets. If you do find them, you can't buy them--I had to find a straw buyer--and they're expensive.

However, the ocean is warm, the women are beautiful, and living is pretty low-key.

mostly comes from the returning vets from Vietnam era who did not fit in here and were trying to get away to a cheap and secluded place where they could drink away the rest of there life on cheap tequilla in a little beach hut...

Sounds like Phuket or Ko Samui, Thailand. Saw lots of those guys there (many of them owned small bars). :cool:

Costa Rica is way too expensive now (too many Americans there already).

If you want to emigrate to New Zealand you must prove you can support yourself and have enough money in the bank to benefit the country and not live off of it.
Checking in to Australia, but I bet it is the same.

I'd say that having passports for your family is a must. With that said I think that an economic collapse will effect everyone but certainly some area's will be much worse off. At the very least I'd have a way to get out of those area's. But... I'm guessing if you're reading this none of that is any kind of revelation to you, is it? =)

-d

If survival is your primary consideration, leaving the country is your best option. The rich are bugging out in droves. Even Bill Gates has re-located to New Zealand. Storm clouds on the horizon - lighting in the air - if you're paying attention - you can almost smell it.

Last I checked, Bill was still living across the lake from me. He may own a compound in NZ, as well as other places, but he still lives in Medina.

:s0112::s0112::s0112: So we run to another country to avoid the colapse of America. Guess it depends on the colapse but if the dollar tanks we are a global community all on the dollar. I am sure when the foriegn folkes get pushed into a depression because the dollar tanks they will still love Americans, medium rare :s0112::s0112:

jj

:s0112::s0112::s0112: So we run to another country to avoid the colapse of America...

This forum endlessly discusses/debates the ins and outs of bugging out to the hills to live off squirrels and gophers during some unspecified "shtf" or "teotwawki" event. Pretty silly idea in my opinion. But some here do understand that in certain cases the best thing to do might be to leave for awhile (or longer). That has been the case in many countries and at many times throughout history. As a US citizen you can never entirely "leave" though (the US is one of the few countries that taxes its citizens on income earned outside the country). I have no plans to leave, but I would relocate in an instant if I thought the situation justified it.

Believe me, the rest of the world is already quite aware of the problems with the $US. They know what is occurring and are protecting themselves as quickly and as best they can.

I'd say that having passports for your family is a must. With that said I think that an economic collapse will effect everyone but certainly some area's will be much worse off.
-d

Never assume you'll have time to leave. By the time you know that **** has hit the fan, so will another 100 million other people. Those at know initially will probably be the ones with internet/t.v./radio, and then using their cellphones to call everyone including the neighbor's dog.

I would disagree for the most part. Mainly because I don't see the entire world collapsing if the U.S. heads into a multi-year depression (I'm guessing that is what you are referring to). The developing middle class (plus improving conditions in the lower classes) in China and India are going to drive growth in this century regardless of what the U.S. economy is like. That is my opinion anyway.

China's economic boost is a farce.

Last edited by a moderator:
China's economic boost is a farce.

Ever consider the possibility that these have been built for future use by the select to run to when things get bad here? Can't prove or disprove - Just sayin'... There is a plan for the world, and it don't involve status quo in the land of happy motoring.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is the US' economy that fuels the rest of the world.It is our excursiveness and greed,always "keeping up with the Jones' " as hey used to say.
If WE don't have jobs to buy all the things made in China,how will their economy stay afloat? Heck how much money are we going to default on them?

As far as other countries south of us,as our economy falls,so does theirs.Thus causing inflation and less money and more violence. You can have all the Costa Rica you want.
Actually some Russians just tried out Argentina and came back after about 6 months.Not all they expected.Their church told them to get their moneys out of American dollars and into something else,like Argentina.
If our dollar fails,what will most other countries' dollars do?

Our greed is,was the back bone of the world economy,but we will be as safe as any other country
New Zelanders can own guns but Aussies can't own much. So NZ would get my vote.
I can see them turning away people fairly soon though.They don't have our greed.They won't just let anyone in because they MAY contribute.

BTW if S does HTF,how the he!! are you planing to get across the ocean to Polynesia anyway?
Shouldn't be any PIRATES or anything out there huh?
Like there won't be any,or more DEATH SQUADS running around Central and South America,when SHTF

I'll stay right here,thank you

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads