JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I figure that in a month or so I'd like to look into a SOG NW Ranger knife. This 5.2", AUS-8 steel, clip-point blade knife with a profile nearly identical to the USN Mark 1 Deck Knife. The only drawback to this knife is the marginal leather sheath. I have seen the NW Ranger is a real winner at the hunting camp, on the trail and in the kitchen. The AUS-8 steel blade is one of the best of its kind (SOG of Lynnwood, WA really "did it's homework" with this steel). Even if it comes from Taiwan, SOG made quality control a high priority.

If you are in need of an excellent hunting/camping knife, it doesn't get much better than this!

I have a friend that showed me his personal SOG Northwest Ranger. This is a fine knife if I ever saw one! It is perfect for the woods and camping. The blade holds a great edge because it is AUS-8 and has been hardened to between 57 and 58 Rockwell hardness and will clean at least 3 whitetails before needing to be taken to the Spyderco Triangle "Sharpmaker". Since the blade is the same style as that of the original USN Mark 1 Deck Knife it should work exceedingly well. (The original Mark 1 Deck Knife was based on the hunting knives from the late 1920's). If is design works, why would you need to change it? Evidently, SOG Liked the design so well that they adopted it for their Northwest Ranger. I was really impressed by both the Mark 1 and SOG's Northwest Ranger.
As an "old salt" I have emotional ties to the design. Heck, they were still issuing the Mark 1 Deck Knife to deck hands into the 1970's. They were issued to the "Deck Apes" (the Boatswain's Mates and deck crews for unpacking/uncrating supplies on supply ships, minesweepers, and destroyers). They were nearly as ubiquitous as the TL-29 because the knives just worked.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top