JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know this may seem like a political posting but it actually is not. After having seen the gun discussions among the Democratic presidential candidates at the debates and hearing their stances, I wondered if a rainy day for us gun owners are coming. Whether you think one of these candidates will win next year or not, American politics have always gone back and forth between the two parties in our country's history. In other words, the Democrats will regain their power sometime in the future whether they will win next year or not.

When that happens, I can see another post Sandy Hook-like dark days of incredible ammo drought. I got into guns about 3 months before Sandy Hook. I was shocked how after Sandy Hook, even 9mm ammo was scarce as well as Glock 19 magazines that held 15 rounds. Never mind 22LR ammo. My beginner enthusiasm crashed into the realities of no ammo and price gauging. I was caught completely unprepared. I swore I would never be in that position again.
1. As a result, I've started a slow stockpiling of 9mm ammo about a month ago. Is anyone else thinking like me and slowly stockpiling?

2. And so what do you all think is an adequate practical amount of ammo to store up? 1,000 rounds? 5,000 rounds? Is there a realistic limit for any of you?

3. And what other items should we obtain in preparation? Magazines?

I was curious as to what all of you ammo and reloading enthusiasts thought about this. Thanks to everyone for answering in advance.

Last Edited:
Confining this discussion strictly to rifles, here's the "Panic Proof Prepping" framework I'm working up in an article for Redstate. The building blocks are in terms of "Basic Combat Loads" (BCL)--seven loaded mags, 21 stripper-clips or 210 loose rounds. On this chart, it's more important to "build out than down"--three shooters with three rifles and two BCL's each beats one guy with one rifle and a ton of ammo.

1. A rifle with one set of load-bearing gear and one BCL of full magazines for each able-bodied adult in the house, with one additional BCL of loaded mags each in a drag-bag that goes with the rifle anytime it leaves the house. All rifles should be a common caliber and action type.
2. For each rifle, two BCL's of loaded mags in an ammo can.
3. For each rifle, four BCL's of stripper clips in an ammo can, and one can with two BCL's of empty magazines.
4. For each rifle, four BCL's of bulk ammo in an ammo can.
5. For each rifle, one sealed factory case of bulk ammo.

Still working on it, haven't even touched handguns and training yet.

I won't say that you're late to the party. But......ammo seems to be relatively cheap now.

Buy it and stack it deep.

Not even mentioning the interest that a bank will pay you to store your money there.

Aloha, Mark

Today 9/18/2019....the Fed cut interest rate 0.25. So, your bank will probably lower its rate. Meaning? Your bank account ain't earning all that much. So, why not......buy something that will probably appreciate in value. Ammo. Then again, you could always shoot it.

Last Edited:
just make sure you get ammo that your gun likes. 2,000 is good for about a year, and maybe you'll have leftovers, but you should try to have enough for at least several range sessions on hand at any given time.

Yeah
I did that for years
New law being bandied about? Off to the store. Per bullet tax? Burn up the websites buying more ammo. I have reloaded but not so much these days. So my advice is don't go nuts. Have a few hundred rounds of calibers you shoot and replace as needed. Otherwise you'll end up with ammo piled everywhere and not a lot of money in the bank. If that's ok with you and you have the money, then go for it.

Yeah
I did that for years
New law being bandied about? Off to the store. Per bullet tax? Burn up the websites buying more ammo. I have reloaded but not so much these days. So my advice is don't go nuts. Have a few hundred rounds of calibers you shoot and replace as needed. Otherwise you'll end up with ammo piled everywhere and not a lot of money in the bank. If that's ok with you and you have the money, then go for it.
Ammo piled everywhere, what a nuisance!

The problem with too deep a stash is, it also introduces an urge to stand and fight when circumstances might more warrant bugging out. The idea with my framework is to have your supply quickly and easily packable for transport in your Bug Out Vehicle.

1568784971011.png

Seriously though. Ammo will never be cheaper than it is right now.

God forbid they pull some bubblegum like California.

The problem with too deep a stash is, it also introduces an urge to stand and fight when circumstances might more warrant bugging out. The idea with my framework is to have your supply quickly and easily packable for transport in your Bug Out Vehicle.
...So about a crate or two and a couple cans? ;)

I just went through over 1,000 rounds of 5.56 this weekend in a 3-day class.

Only you can decide what's right for you.

I would say however you're wise to look into this while Ammo is still relatively cheap. About as cheap as I've ever seen it.

Now that ammo is readily available. I've started stocking up. First with rimfire(because I can't reload it), then centerfire starting in calibers I shoot the most first. I've got about 6k rounds of 22lr(mostly cci mini mags), 2k of 9mm fmj, 500 of 308(mostly match ammo), and 500 of 12ga(mostly birdshot). That's a good base for me, and I only buy more when I find a "deal". This doesn't include any defensive loads that I keep on hand. This is just range ammo.

I'll say this again. I don't see mail order/online order of ammunition lasting indefinitely. It was outlawed in 1968; by some miracle we got it back in 1986 and I'm surprised we still have it now. Online, interstate ordering of powder in basically unlimited quantities? With no special permit or paperwork? Whew, if certain politicians ever figure that out.

Certain retailers are already backing away from ammo sales. If this keeps up, it will have a choking effect. Coupled with a ban on mail order, prices will climb as manufacturers lose scale in production. Oh, and we might see a ban on imported of ammo. I wish I could see some good news in this subject.

With the above in mind, the course of action is clear. One joker in the deck re. new laws that might be contemplated. Banning private sale of ammunition. Which recently went into effect in California along with the background checks. There, if you own ammo privately, it may no longer be sold legally without a license. This restriction might dissuade some people from stocking up too high on finished ammo insofar as it makes ammo less liquid. Legally, anyway. So far, components haven't been regulated. I wonder if there's been a big surge of people taking up reloading in California? Politicians at the federal level may like some of the California ideas.

I'm a old civilian, so I don't need a Basic Combat Load. I'm creaky so any gunfight I might get into would likely be fairly short. But I like the idea of having enough ammo for my own recreational use into the future.

Merkt sez: I'm a old civilian, so I don't need a Basic Combat Load. I'm creaky so any gunfight I might get into would likely be fairly short. But I like the idea of having enough ammo for my own recreational use into the future.
I sez: I get the "old civilian" part, but one never knows what fate, time, and chance will bring.. A small stash might be useful trading stock sometime (done carefully so as not to tell the world what one has). Recreational shooting and hunting (not necessarily the same thing) is another good reason to keep a small supply around. Especially .22 LR...
And, it will be good to leave a little something special to my heirs, as some things were left to me. Somethings, maybe, to help fuel The Resistance in future times if needed...
Maybe Ive watched too many TEOTWAWKI movies on late-night TV.

Last Edited:
1. As a result, I've started a slow stockpiling of 9mm ammo about a month ago. Is anyone else thinking like me and slowly stockpiling?

2. And so what do you all think is an adequate practical amount of ammo to store up? 1,000 rounds? 5,000 rounds? Is there a realistic limit for any of you?

3. And what other items should we obtain in preparation? Magazines?

I suspect eventually we will be hit with BGCs for ammo, possibly purchase limits, maybe a lead ammo ban, so stockpiling is a good idea.
Similar infringements coming on guns also so stock up on those too. Probably good to have 2 guns in any caliber you may use for self defense - if one fails, pick up the other one.

The only limits for Ammo will be set by DemoRats (if they regain power). A bill has already been introduced (by the DemoRats). Store what you can afford, keep it dry, & protected....
And most importantly.....Do not keep all your eggs in one basket.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top