JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've noticed (and been amused by) a few posts in the ammo classifieds on this site are starting to get "beat up" in their threads and having to lower their prices as examples and URL links of available supplies from brick/mortar and online sources with better prices (INCLUDING SHIPPING) are being posted...

When bought in 1000 round quantities:

7.62x39 can be had for as low as .28 cents a round shipped

.223/5.56 NATO can be had for as low as .32 cents a round shipped.

.308/7.62 NATO can be found for as low as .60 cents a round shipped.

One trick is to get on as many online merchants' "email blasts" lists as possible going directly to your smart phone, then ACT FAST! I've seen things sell out within minutes of receiving some notices.

Another is work the Bi-Marts, Freddy's, etc on a regular circuit in your "daily routine". Before you know it, you'll have several thousand rounds accrued for a decent price.

This also works for other things like "scarce" magazines, barrels, particular firearms, etc. Sometimes I have more money than time, oftentimes (like everyone else) I have more time than money, so taking the time and being patient to find a good/fair deal is just like paying yourself good money.

Things are starting to settle down on price/availability, and as I learned from the prior go-around in the '08 election cycle and "bought, bought, bought" when THAT cycle settled down, everyone caught short in the '12 election cycle hopefully learns so they don't get caught short again (and it WILL happen again).

I haven't EVEN felt this latest "crunch" because four years prior to this I acted upon the "lessons learned". The only "stress" I've had the last 4-8 years is the possibility that I'd have to use my acquired resources for their "reserved purpose", but that balloon hasn't (and hopefully never in my lifetime) been launched yet, thank God.

Another is work the Bi-Marts, Freddy's, etc on a regular circuit in your "daily routine". Before you know it, you'll have several thousand rounds accrued for a decent price.
This is exactly what I have been doing - and now have more components than I normally have on hand. Also I have more .22 than I have ever had on hand (three bricks) and I don't really shoot .22 that much but my daughter and her boyfriend have been wanting to go out shooting with me so I thought I had better stock up for them. My point being I never felt the need to not go shooting because I was low (or out of something) and I never bought anything out of 'paranoia' so I just kept at it and slowly bought as things became available. I will admit however as a reloader I have always been able to find some components even when the ammo shelves were empty. It has no doubt been harder for the non-reloading shooters.

I have a fair amount of 22 and have thought about posting some for sale at what I paid prices but I always think it will sell to a gouger. I considered advertising it for $40-$50 a brick and when someone pm's me then tell them the actual cost.

I just bought a brick of Remington Thunderbolt at Sportsman's Warehouse in Salem for $23.99. They are limiting it to one brick purchase at a time, but they seemed to have a bunch of it.

I can tell you that in Yakima County it's still either hard to come by or ridiculously expensive. Thank God for reloading, for which we had many thousands of rounds of supply before Sandy Hook. But it's played Hobb with my students and my classes.

Found .45 practice ammo today at Big 5 on Hwy 99 in Vancouver today. Cost was $59.99 for 100.

Glad I bought 500 rds of Golden Sabre +P for $17 a box of 25 last year. And even less for 1,000 rds of practice ammo!!

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

One good thing about the ammo shortage is if you have it, then it is as good as cash. Went to the gun store to buy a new rifle the other day that was around $800 with tax. Offered up in trade one slightly used Walther P22, some boxes of .22 long rifle, Lake City .223 XM855 on stripper clips, and UMC .45ACP ball and paid less than half the price in cash for the rifle. I was grinning all the way home. But alas and alack, the new rifle was a .22 hornet and reloading components were a bit hard to find and slightly pricey, but I did find them with a bit of searching on the web.

One good thing about the ammo shortage is if you have it, then it is as good as cash. Went to the gun store to buy a new rifle the other day that was around $800 with tax. Offered up in trade one slightly used Walther P22, some boxes of .22 long rifle, Lake City .223 XM855 on stripper clips, and UMC .45ACP ball and paid less than half the price in cash for the rifle. I was grinning all the way home. But alas and alack, the new rifle was a .22 hornet and reloading components were a bit hard to find and slightly pricey, but I did find them with a bit of searching on the web.

Nice deal! Enjoy your Hornet, I love mine! Fortunately I've had mine for over twenty years so I have a ton of fire formed brass (.22 K Hornet) and components. Even a couple of years ago Hornets were getting a little expensive to shoot, by my cheap azzed standards!

Nice deal! Enjoy your Hornet, I love mine! Fortunately I've had mine for over twenty years so I have a ton of fire formed brass (.22 K Hornet) and components. Even a couple of years ago Hornets were getting a little expensive to shoot, by my cheap azzed standards!

Found PRVI new unprimed .22 hornet brass at Grafs.com for $28 per 100. Not too bad a price and they seemed to have lots of it. But I got hosed on bullets and especially powder (Hazardous Materials Shipping, grrrr). First reloading trial was a bust though. Loaded 36 grain varmint grenades behind 11 grains of IMR 4227 and every one of them keyholed....that is if they even stayed on paper. My take was this lead free bullet is quite a bit longer than your standard hornet lead core bullets and would not stabilize with 1:16 rifling. Fortunately I started with only 20 rounds. So.....on to 40 grainer lead core varminators and 45 grain hornets. I suspect the rifle (CZ 527 American) will be deadly accurate when I find a decent load, at least that is what I have read in reviews.

I was able to purchase two boxes of PMC .40 S&W 165 gr. at $19.95 per box today at the Bi-Mart Store on Lancaster Ave. in Salem. They have a ton (literally) of 5.56 mm at $883.00 for 2000 rounds. This is still a bit more than the pre-panic prices, but it is available.

If I see a bunch of ammo in a store, I'm personally the type to share it with others on this site. I don't usually find 'steals' on ammo though, so my posts don't warrant the eyes of ammo resellers (that I know of). Regardless of whatever crap we go through in this life, I know we all do better when we work as a community. If I can play a small part in that and help someone find ammo, I'll do it. Just my two cents.

The gougers are gougers because people are paying the prices. I don't like the price so I don't buy. I don't NEED to go shooting. I haven't seen lots of ammo in the stores. Especially at reasonable prices.

I keep my eyes open online. I just ran into brass case 9mm 124 gr GECO brand, $14.99 for a box of 50. I got free shipping too. During these times, I think it's a good price for ammo in stock with free shipping.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top