JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have 15 silencers so Yeah, I think its worth it. I dont buy them any more. I build my own but if you dont have the ability to do that sure, buy one. You wont stop.

For SHTF, yes, they can be worth the expense and wait - IMO.

I don't own one - yet - but I believe that in a SHTF situation where you want to stay out of sight and off the radar of people looking for... whatever they are looking for (food, shelter, etc.) and are willing to take it instead of earning it, then being able to hunt with less noise is an advantage. One that might mean the difference between staying incognito and being discovered.

Or not - there are no guarantees and a suppressor by itself won't keep you from being discovered, but it might help.

As for the technicalities of which suppressor to get/etc., I am not qualified to speak to that, but I recently posted a thread in the NFA forum about a multi-caliber suppressor that caught my eye. You might want to read about it.

I sure hope it's worth it, I'm waiting on two of them. First one is at six months, the other is at three. I'm thinking of doing a form 1 after talking to wired and doing some research while I wait.

I sure hope it's worth it, I'm waiting on two of them. First one is at six months, the other is at three. I'm thinking of doing a form 1 after talking to wired and doing some research while I wait.
1st ones a PITA. Enough to drive a grown man insane.

It's worth it if you limit yourself to subsonic ammo. You won't find supersonic shooting with a can rewarding... the sonic crack will leave you asking yourself why you paid so much money and waited so long for a stamp.

Before you know it, you own 10!
True
My first 2 took nearly a year but I caught a break on the pair I ordered last summer that arrived within 4 months
Got 4 more in the pipeline now.
They are a lot of fun.
OP will have an ear to ear grin firing his first can!:s0155:

If you go with suppressors, I suggest the single shot trust. That would be a trust for each individual NFA item. Much easier for adding or removing individuals for the trust. I bought one from Silencer Shop, then decided on the next one just to buy the unlimited trusts. 12 additional suppressors later, I'd call it a good buy, for sure.

Yes suppressors are cool. If you are shooting indoors with .556 with other people around you they are needed.

Here's the downside. You must use subsonic ammo which means close engagement distances. So not a very powerful around being used at close range. I am a country boy. In a SHTF situation distance and accurately is my friend. If your in an urban environment buy a suppressor. If your in the countryside don't bother. Just get good at hitting what you aim at.

You don't need to use subsonic ammo with a silencer. The point isn't to make everything movie quiet. It's to knock 75-90% of the bang to the shooter down.

Ive got 8" barrel 5.56 AR-15's that with a silencer attached sound like 10/22's and while an OSHA rep would probably tell me they arent hearing safe by federal guidelines I don't take an OSHA rep out with me when I am shooting.

If anything shooting indoors with a suppressor is kind of pointless. Everyone is wearing hearing protection and you really can't tell much of a difference between suppressed and non suppressed.

Last Edited:
Yes suppressors are cool. If you are shooting indoors with .556 with other people around you they are needed.

Here's the downside. You must use subsonic ammo which means close engagement distances. So not a very powerful around being used at close range. I am a country boy. In a SHTF situation distance and accurately is my friend. If your in an urban environment buy a suppressor. If your in the countryside don't bother. Just get good at hitting what you aim at.

As @wired mentions, supersonic ammunition is fine in them, just louder than subsonic.

Use during a "SHTF" type situation would have multiple merits in a rural environment, even if using supersonic. Taking game, the shot would not be heard near on as far, and depending upon where (steep valley/hollow etc) even less distance. Would have less concern over others trying to find out who you are, what you took & perhaps 'bothering" you over it.

From a defensive standpoint, would be a touch harder to determine where EXACTLY rounds are coming from.

Mind, my suppressor use has been extremely limited (rare use of acquaintances up North). However am getting interested in stepping into the NFA "pond".

1st ones a PITA. Enough to drive a grown man insane.
Oh.. but that moment when your FFL calls is better than Christmas morning.
I got the news with about 3 hours left to go in a particularly slow gun show, and stood up on chair and yelled... "My Cans are free!" Luckily there were few customers, and most of the vendors knew exactly what I meant. I waited 7 months, but those last 3 hours were the longest.

Sooo worth it, although I hear the ATF is not processing right now due to Covid, so wait times might suck... and they seem to keep costing more money all the time.

I just spent another $150 getting adapters for SIGs stipid 13.5mm left hand thread yesterday.
A6C6E99E-90A4-42C2-99C6-22C5A6E0E3A8.jpeg

I havent seen issues with processing times. Ive done a bunch in the last few months. Form 1's are running through in 3-4 weeks . Form 4's? I dont do those any more but I do have a friend who's on 1 months so far.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top