JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Various analysts have said that, in the best case scenario, we face a protracted stalemate in the conflict in Ukraine. In the interview that begins at 0:50, a high ranking NATO official discusses the need for NATO countries to shift to wartime economies in order to provide a supply of the military materials needed to prevent a Russian victory, since NATO stockpiles are being depleted. He forecasts a shift in industrial capacity from from civilian production to military production. What will this mean for us? Most likely the following:

Increasing shortages of consumer goods.
Higher prices.
More inflation.
Higher taxes.
Rationing?

I'd like to avoid arguments over who is right vs who is wrong in the conflict, but keep this thread focused on the posible shift to a wartime economy. Is it likely? What would be the effects? If so, how does one prepare?

Like 80 years ago? Here in USA? No. That NATO dude may have been speaking about Europe, specifically Eastern.

Continue living the self reliant lifestyle best you are able and if/when John has a long mustache, your efforts will be rewarded.

i would imagine that ammo availability would fall way off to Covid levels or worse as 9mm, 5.56 and .308 production gets diverted to the military. I wonder if food would go on ration cards or some digital equipment. Same for gas & oil.

Last Edited:
Depends on what points you put together. I'm aware of couple YouTube channels putting it together daily past year or so. They are kinda excited these days; one in particular. The Canadian Preper on YouTube. I've followed him for years originally for camping outdoors stuff. He still seems rational but excited. What can you do though? Should be preparing everyday in general. A lot can go wrong in our lives. But sometimes I wonder what the draft cut off age is.
And you kinda got to consider it's not really just Russia or Ukraine going at it.

Like 80 years ago? Here in USA? No. That NATO dude may have been speaking about Europe, specifically Eastern.

Continue living the self reliant lifestyle best you are able and if/when John has a long mustache, your efforts will be rewarded.
Wow .
Your attitude wounds my heart with a monotonous languor.

Interesting question and one that has been on my mind.

As to a war economy footing, I kind of doubt it. At least like it was during the Big One or Korea. Overall economic turmoil, messed up supply chains (particularly in some sectors), fear and uncertainty in the markets, bonkers financial news, orgies of government spending, etc., yah, looks like we're in for that delight for a while. Get better? Maybe. Worse? At least as likely. Winners and losers? There almost always is. Shortages of certain types of stuff? Yup. But rations on gasoline and sugar, little kids collecting scrap metal, Rosie the Riveter, and DotGov dusting off Hemp for Victory — doesn't seem real likely.

That's assuming we're talking a protracted, conventional war, with Russia (and whomever they can rope in for aid) and Ukraine backed with significant, sustained foreign military, diplomatic, and economic support. It is hard to imagine a European conflict in which NATO is involved not, eventually, going nuclear. If so, limited/regional or otherwise, who can say when fallout is blowing in the wind.

How does one prepare? Be of sound mind and body. Spend less, save more. Diversify assets and skillsets. Store the things you need, not junk. Enjoy every moment as you can, because none of us knows how much longer we have, war clouds on the horizon, or not.

Some general apparently said US troops might be in a shooting war with China by 2025.

Probably just generic fear mongering
Gen. Mike Minihan.

since NATO stockpiles are being depleted.
Dam. Just when it was starting to become available again.

H4895.jpg

☹️

Last Edited:
Well, they recently war-gamed a Chinese invasion of Taiwan and though we win, it comes at great cost 10K + casualties with hundreds of planes lost and many ships sunk.

And why haven't they shot that goddam Chinese balloon down???:mad::mad::mad:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads