JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Notice a lot of states bard carrying even a knife of more than 3.5" concealed, folding or otherwise. But what is the definition of concealed? If someone can see the knife clipped to my pocket then it isn't concealed. But that's logic, we all know laws are written by emotional idiots.

Is the knife visible?
Not concealed.

Does one
act, dress provocotively
exhibit combativeness
exhibit threatening behavior
verbally abusive
attract a LEO's attention (may not be the best strategy)?

I don't carry my 32" USMC NCO Sabre while in civvies. attracts unwanted attention
(but I look outstanding in dress blues:cool:)
Nor wear my 7" USMC Ka-Bar.
Nor a Kukri.

I carry a black Gerber pocket clip folder
3" folded, 5" open and liner-locked

My favorite go-to after donating to the TSA

I haven't read the wa knife laws for a bit but they aren't like the gun laws. Any city can make up their own laws.
As far as I remember,concealed pertaining to knives has to do with fixed blade knives. They must be in full view,nothing concealed.
As far as folders? Do do stupid shtuff and you knife ain't nobody's business. I mean don't pull out some monster folder in front of a cop or threaten anyone with your knife.

I haven't read the wa knife laws for a bit but they aren't like the gun laws. Any city can make up their own laws.
As far as I remember,concealed pertaining to knives has to do with fixed blade knives. They must be in full view,nothing concealed.
As far as folders? Do do stupid shtuff and you knife ain't nobody's business. I mean don't pull out some monster folder in front of a cop or threaten anyone with your knife.

That and the laws change by county and city so what is legal at my house, is illegal if I drive 10 miles south into vancouver...

I "think" a 3.5 folder is legal everywhere but it may be 3" or 3.25 up north.

Looks like any folder that is less than 3.5 inches is generally considered "an ordinary pocketknife" in Oregon.

Unless it is a "switchblade" or a "dirk" or a "dagger", etc.

166.240 Carrying of concealed weapons.

Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, any person who carries concealed upon the person any knife having a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring or by centrifugal force, any dirk, dagger, ice pick, slungshot, metal knuckles, or any similar instrument by the use of which injury could be inflicted upon the person or property of any other person, commits a Class B misdemeanor.

Just a Bunch of useless laws to inflict upon the population of Sheeple! Yet more reason to carry what ever blade I wish, Don't ask, don't tell! Concealed IS concealed. Ever wonder how many bad guys read and follow the law, NONE! Just more infringement of our rights to Keep and Bear Arms.

Just a Bunch of useless laws to inflict upon the population of Sheeple! Yet more reason to carry what ever blade I wish, Don't ask, don't tell! Concealed IS concealed. Ever wonder how many bad guys read and follow the law, NONE! Just more infringement of our rights to Keep and Bear Arms.

True, but my 3.5" Kershaw from '04 deploys as fast as a switchblade, is legal and plenty long enough for me to use defensively if I'm unable to draw a pistol;).

Only takes 1" to peirce a juggular if you know where it is:D.

True, but my 3.5" Kershaw from '04 deploys as fast as a switchblade, is legal and plenty long enough for me to use defensively if I'm unable to draw a pistol;).

Only takes 1" to peirce a juggular if you know where it is:D.
True, I just hate it when some one thinks they have the right to define FOR ME what they think I should have and what I should not! Heck, my Big Thumb in the right place will kill if needed and ya knows where to stick it and how much force to use!

True, I just hate it when some one thinks they have the right to define FOR ME what they think I should have and what I should not! Heck, my Big Thumb in the right place will kill if needed and ya knows where to stick it and how much force to use!

I've said this in other threads that my wife laughs at the absurdity of being able to carry any gun I want around and out of the house but have to change knives "just in case we cross the town line" when we go places...

I agree with concealed means concealed but that option leaves you open to a lot of legal issues if your back is up against a wall and you use it as defense.

Absurd isn't it?!?!?! Isn't it Ironic that you don't have to change hand guns or mag capacity ( yet) but you can get into all sorts of trouble with a silly little knife! they should all go sheite in a hat and bark at the moon. Stooopid:mad::mad::mad:

It just depends. If you think gun laws are crazy, knife laws can vary widely from city to city. And there's no real central repository for them so you have to check each set of county ordinances. I'd love to carry a fix blade but trying to figure out exactly where they are and are not legal is a nightmare. And then you have to remember all of it. It's pretty crazy when you consider that a concealed weapons permit only applies to guns and not usually knives. Seems pretty silly to me. I can carry a gun but not a fixed blade...or an automatic knife. :rolleyes:

Unless it is a "switchblade" or a "dirk" or a "dagger", etc.

166.240 Carrying of concealed weapons.

Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, any person who carries concealed upon the person any knife having a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring or by centrifugal force, any dirk, dagger, ice pick, slungshot, metal knuckles, or any similar instrument by the use of which injury could be inflicted upon the person or property of any other person, commits a Class B misdemeanor.

And thus comes back to the original post... just what is concealed? a boot knife clipped into the sidepocket of carpenter jeans (whole grip would be exposed at that point, and they're usually daggers)?

it's a tough call

I do agree with all of you who think most ( if not all ) knife laws are ridiculous.
At least once a year I get hassled at school for carrying a pocket knife.
The last time , after hearing all the talk about no weapons on school grounds and being asked "Why do I insist on carrying a knife?"
I answered with :
"Do you remember our student N----?"
"Do you remember when she had a seizure and had to be cut out of the school bus seat belt?"
"Do you remember it was me who cut her out of the belt that was wrapped around her neck?"
"So now do you get why I insist on carrying a knife?!"

Sorry for thread drift ... Mostly my knife is concealed , unless I 'm using it , then the person usually says "Thanks" ... Which is often followed by "Why do you have a knife?" :confused:
Andy

Last Edited:
I can tell you this it depends on the knife and what state your in I got arrested years ago in Santa Barbara California I was 20 year's old having a party and police were called I was arrested for disturbing the peace and carrying a conciled weapon witch was a boot knife or a dagger witch is illegal in California went to court thank god I had a girlfriend that was intern at a law office and got a lawyer for me I plead to the disturbing the peace and the weapon charge was dropped because I was on my property but if I was not at my house I would not be able to own a gun today just because they sell a knife doesn't mean you can carry it around with you

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top