JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have heard it said that Art is only art if that is it's only purpose. There were protests of the motorcycle show at the Guggenheim, as the bikes were still useful.

More photos & story at the link:
Guns as Art: Cerakoting My 1911

Cerakoted-1911-1-300x151.jpg

When a gun is never going to be used, because it is pretty, then does it become art?
Different than never going to be used due to risk of damaging it, then it becomes an artifact, I think.

ps
I guess I need to warns y'all:
Fake professor, feminist, and activist Melissa "Mish" Zimdars has deemed the Washington Free Beacon "fake news" on a list that is now being distributed as a media guide by Harvard University.

Last Edited:
Useful, or art, does not need to be exclusive terms.

I have seen motorcycles and cars with the most beautiful paint jobs and customization. And they are driven or rode. They are still art!

An engraved revolver. Such artistic talent to produce such an item. Worn to a wedding or shot at the range, it is still art!

The 1911 above, although very useful, should never be considered art.

WAYNO.

If folks are, actually, protesting this type of thing that shows just what they're narrow little opinions are worth.

And exactly how much, too much time is on their hands! :rolleyes: Jeeze people!

Art can mean many things to many different people.
I find my antique muzzle loaders to be works of art.
There is a lot of art , craftsmanship and skill put into each gun.
For instance in the case of a "Kentucky Rifle" ... The maker needs wood working skill , metal working skill and perhaps fine engraving and carving skill as well.
I still shoot many of my "pretty" or "artful" guns.
They can still bring home game or a prize.

The lines must flow or the gun won't look good.
If the line of the gun isn't good ... Then it won't shoot good... So the distinction between art and function can get blurry.

Many modern guns are works of art ... the level of skill to put together a 1903 Springfield or 1898 Mauser comes to mind.
Both of these rifles were made to be used on the battlefield , but again the skill and craftsmanship that went into these rifles can make them a work of art.
( Mid to late WWII Mauser 98k's might be an exception )

The mechanical art that goes into a Colt Single Action Army ( or clone ) , a Smith and Wesson model 10 , 27 etc ...
Also comes to mind.
Andy

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR