JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have been in the hunt for one of these for a couple of years now… if'n my man @LuckySG can't track one down, NOBODY can!

View attachment 1226185
FYI as a one hander u may want to try that first. I've shot guns very similar one handed and it's damn tough. About 6.5 lbs of weight way out in front of you. The amt of weight is a factor but where that weight is is a huge IMO. If a lot of the weight is back near ur shoulder u are essentially aiming or pivoting the gun vs if u have all that unsupported weight out there it's very tough.

As a somewhat inaccurate analogy think if you had a 6.5 lb sledgehammer 26" long or whatever and held it with the head against your shoulder. It would be easy to point. Now if u held the handle end against ur shoulder and all the weight is out front it woudl be much harder. Now take it off your shoulder and hold it by the end of the handle with your arm extended. How hard would it be to point? If u were Schwarzenegger it would be no problem though. :p
96F484AE-1D6C-4C37-9BBC-97089D980C46.jpeg
Also the distance away from ur body u have to hold a birdshead grip shotgun is usually farther than one with a stock (even farther if u are shooting one handed so it doesn't pop u in the mouth/face). This video is pretty long but explains it well near the end where they compare distance from ur body.
Skip to 26:00 mark

Btw, saw latest terminator movie last night. Fostech origin 12, ummm very nice....

EE27A5E7-0917-4EE8-9510-BCAFD1035EEF.jpeg

Last Edited:
IMO, if you are limited in dexterity and the ability to use both hands, something like this that is lightweight, has minimal recoil, designed to be used with one hand, and can be shot 50x before needing a reload seems ideal.
Screenshot_20220621-142947_Chrome.jpg

Bullpup certainly. The balance is such that it is much better than a SBS or "firearm" like the Shockwave/etc.

And yes, I have owned and shot both. No way would I try shooting my 12 ga Shockwave one handed, especially not with buckshot, and even more so with 3" 'magnum' shells.

Been keeping my eyes open for a semi bullpup 12 ga with reliability, but the Shockwave is still a somewhat better choice for a "truck gun" - maybe (last night I had trouble with it feeding and locking the pump action).

IMO, if you are limited in dexterity and the ability to use both hands, something like this that is lightweight, has minimal recoil, designed to be used with one hand, and can be shot 50x before needing a reload seems ideal.
View attachment 1226276
Or a Five Seven with a 30 round mag (FN mag with CMMG extension)

And/Or a PS90 - bullpups naturally balance a lot better shooting one handed.

Possible? Yes. Results? Varied. Of those two:

smoothies-jpg.jpg

The Lupara (top) is light, handy, and not overly brutal in the shooting department, though I normally run Aquilla mini-shells in said. The Serbu (bottom) is downright harsh to shoot and I rarely do. As a gonzo range toy, maybe; as a serious defense tool, dubious.

Possible? Yes. Results? Varied. Of those two:

View attachment 1228056

The Lupara (top) is light, handy, and not overly brutal in the shooting department, though I normally run Aquilla mini-shells in said. The Serbu (bottom) is downright harsh to shoot and I rarely do. As a gonzo range toy, maybe; as a serious defense tool, dubious.
That's a good idea about mini shells through a coach gun or short barreled shotgun. Would reduce recoil a lot. I have shot 22lr out of my coach gun with adapters. Feels about like a cap gun. Adapters are also available for 32 acp (I think?), 380, 9mm, 38 special, .410, 20 ga, 45LC, and probably a bunch more that I can't remember. I recommend the rifled adapters for accuracy.

Some inexpensive ones are available on eBay. This co has more expensive ones but huge diversity in type and caliber:

Edit: just noticed they now even have both muzzleloader and reloadable black powder adapters. Pretty wild, a guy could make ur own non lethal rounds.

37BAAA6E-9216-4746-877A-D8F62FBDC628.png
2CAA642A-A66F-41D5-8BE1-D143F46502A7.png

Too bad can't get the Ithaca car and burglar anymore. Can get howda in 410/45LC? though but they r spendy. Ithaca:

39934BE6-DFAD-4CBE-99B1-8A50B72592E1.jpeg

Last Edited:
+1 for the bullpup recommendation. An AUG, Tavor, PS90, or similar puts the majority of the weight nearest the shooter. I can shoot my MSAR one-handed very accurately and comfortably. For the AUG you can install an oversized charging handle, and use that against a hard surface (bench, countertop, etc) to chamber a round or lock open the action. You can also disassemble it one-handed, though it's a bit tricky to do at first. The CZ Scorpion bullpup kit or Tavor pistol caliber kit would be another option if 9mm is more their speed, though I have no experience with those personally.

Beyond that, my next recommendation would be a revolver. Being able to fully manipulate a semi-auto one-handed (draw, reload, malfunction clearing, loading mags, etc) is very difficult, and recoil-operated actions tend to malfunction when not gripped properly - the rifles are a different story because the shoulder is taking the recoil. A revolver equipped with a laser grip would be an excellent alternative - not something that can be reloaded quickly, but really nothing can be when you're running it one-handed.

The High-Standard 10B an Franchi SPAS 12 were both designed to be used with a single hand. Not the easiest things to shoot that way, but you can find some videos where people do it with mixed results. As others have said, a semi-auto bullpup is probably the best solution.

These pistol grip shotguns and new "AOW" type shotguns are a gimmick. The cons greatly outweigh the pros.

A standard 18.5" barreled defense shotgun is easier to handle, aim, cycle, reload and more comfortable to shoot. This comes only at the cost of some maneuverability. A long gun will always be more intuitive than a weapon designed to be fired from an unsupported position.

That's why I'd recommend an 18.5" pump gun, maybe even stepping down to 20 gauge with recoil control and reacquisition being a concern.

EDIT: hadn't noticed the weak left hand part before. A semi auto can be had in the same kind of length and setup, but this further reinforces my stance about shouldering the gun. A pump gun may not be ideal, but there are a ton out there that are incredibly smooth, and even some models coming with blowback assist on the pump action, the Winchester SXP comes to mind.

Bullpup is good idea but still heavy… trying to strong arm a shotgun one handed is plausible but not very effective in a vehicle. One could go down multiple rabbit holes. But the goal is for him to have something for self defense, use it in multiple areas, have enough to stop assailants and be able to work around his abilities. A laser helps for accuracy and should be activated by gripping the firearm. The S&W Governor is nice but limited to 6 rounds and requires effort to reload especially in a stressful situation. So AR pistol sounds good but there's the charging handle difficulty. This can be resolved with devil dog concept. https://devildogconcepts.com/side-charging-handle-system/
Also a Magpul BAD lever for the bolt.

The Keltec is a good option… I would suggest their PMR30 or the PMR50. 22WMR is better than 22LR.

I am not a fan of the .410 anything (shot or slug or combo) for self defense. Paul Harrell did a nice vid on that. SIL has a Taurus Judge something.

If a handgun is acceptable, there are a lot to choose from that are a much better choice than a Taurus Judge or a S&W Governor.

If recoil is an issue, the FN Five Seven is one choice, and there are at least two others in that caliber.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top