JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Actually, we do have hogs.
View attachment 643586
assailants ? ambush?

I guarantee you when experiencing the real thing you most likely won't be considering scenes out of action/adventure movies.

I was fairly certain however it was just the one person as he fled immediately out my back door when he saw me.

To be accurate however after clearing the house I called 911 and explained what had taken place. I informed the person I was heading out to my front deck and would wait there until the LEO arrived. This gave me a clear view of the front of my property as well as concealment should the person come from around the back to the front - as I would have been able to see him and he would not have been able to see me. I could have also left the deck if necessary and easily made my way off my property to the road or to the woods.

Long story short when LEO arrived I signaled them with my flashlight and they exited their vehicle and two started walking up my driveway. When they got close enough they asked if I was (name) to which I acknowledged and they asked I clear my weapon.

Another LEO vehicle pulled up and when the two were about about halfway up the driveway (50 yards approx.) I heard a loud yell 'Stay on the ground!" and the two turned and ran back to join the other LEOs who had a canine and it discovered the guy hiding in my neighbors yard laying down near his fence line and they all drew down on the guy.

The decision to stay in a secure area or leave might be predicated on the current situation.
If there are multiple family members to protect then staying is probably the right decision.
If one is in poor physical condition, infirm or elderly then staying in place is probably the best thing to do.

However I am by myself, in pretty good physical condition AND I prefer to be out where I can move quickly if necessary as opposed to being boxed in or backed in to a corner.

I'm confused.... I read your story, then I thought you were making a general comment about your home defense preferences. At the end of repeating the story, you seem to be making another general comment. Which I addressed previously as being, IMO, a risky strategy in general. I'll stick by what I wrote because time after time, people (in real life, phuck the movie reference, it is insulting) chase BGs out of buildings, only to be assaulted or killed by the BGs friends or assistants/assailants/assaulters, whatever one wants to call them, or even the original BG having turned and waited in ambush. Despite your personal experience in that one incident, that is the way it is. IMO you were lucky there wasn't someone else on the property standing by to help your home invader.

I'm not saying that you can't do things the way you prefer, I'm only disagreeing with your strategy. You have everyright to do what you want... I have a right to state my own opinion regarding the risks of that kind of strategy.

We sure do get off topic quick around here - we're not doing caliber wars here folks.

Actually, we are... we always do (same as in other forums, endlessly)... it is the neverending story! :p;):D

Last Edited:
I like my 9 mm Springfield XDS and have recently been thinking of moving back to my Springfield XD 40 subcompact just because of the extra 3-4 rounds of capacity in the face of more brazen crime on the streets. Often think of a 45 but the weight is a problem give I am 5'7" and 71 yo now. I just picked up a extra mag holder for the 9.

Leaving your home to follow a retreating invader??? :s0001:

NOOOO!

If an actual shooting occurred after exiting your home following a fleeing intruder … well let's put it this way:

If I were a prosecuting attorney with a hard-on against private gun use/ownership I could not wish for a better scenario to allow me to hang the homeowner on charges, beginning with brandishing and moving all the way to murder if the "now former perp" becomes the victim of the murderous homeowner who chased him out of the house and "hunted him down" with his gun.

Once the immediate threat has ended (the guy is leaving) you want to consolidate your win and protect yourself from further harm. That means staying in the home which is known territory to you that provides cover, concealment, barrier protection etc. Chasing after the BG smacks of retribution and vengeance. You will never sell a jury that you were putting yourself in a better protective position by chasing after him.

My two cents.

Last Edited:
Hmmmmph, I'm on or near a red area and not only have I never seen feral hogs, I've never heard of there being any. Around here, we love to blast pesky critters (we've just about put rockchucks into extinction) and there just isn't anybody relating stories of having done it. I would love to go on a hog hunt!!!
Yeabut I saw a map once showing there were feral hogs in Oregon.

Hmmmmph, I'm on or near a red area and not only have I never seen feral hogs, I've never heard of there being any. Around here, we love to blast pesky critters (we've just about put rockchucks into extinction) and there just isn't anybody relating stories of having done it. I would love to go on a hog hunt!!!
From what I gather, most of the helicopter shooting outfits in Texas use 9mm carbines.

Leaving your home to follow a retreating invader??? :s0001:

NOOOO!

If after exiting your home following a fleeing intruder an actual shooting occurred … well let's put it this way:

If I were a prosecuting attorney with a hard-on against private gun use/ownership I could not wish for a better scenario to allow me to hang the homeowner on chargers, beginning with brandishing and moving all the way to murder if the "now former perp" becomes the victim of the murderous homeowner who chased him out of the house and "hunted him down" with his gun.

Once the immediate threat has ended (the guy is leaving) you want to consolidate your win and protect yourself from further harm. That means staying in the home which is known territory to you that provides cover, concealment, barrier protection etc. Chasing after the BG smacks of retribution and vengeance. You will never sell a jury that your were putting yourself in a better protective position by chasing after him.

My two cents.
Alternate idea by example.
I'd think that an intruder or assailant that left a scene and a homeowner or person went after him and took a first step of aggression that would be at least an assault, if there was no aggression by the perp at that moment; and if the first step was lethal, that would constitute a potential charge.

Alternate idea by example.
I'd think that an intruder or assailant that left a scene and a homeowner or person went after him and took a first step of aggression that would be at least an assault, if there was no aggression by the perp at that moment; and if the first step was lethal, that would constitute a potential charge.
So it'd be OK if it was a .45?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads