JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd really like to get a Dan Wesson CBOB for my everyday carry gun, but next in line is a Colt Lightweight Commander. The only thing I'm concerned with is the weight difference, with the CBOB being 34oz. and the Colt being 27oz. Hoping some of you can comment on how noticeable the extra 7oz. would be.

To be honest, weights never bothered me a whole lot, dimensions are where the irritation sets in. Put your pistol on with and without a loaded magazine, loaded .45 mag shouldn't be too far off the weight difference there, the projectiles alone in a 7 rounder comes to about 3.5 ounces (provided you're using 230 grains)

I have been carrying a Full size Kimber Tactical II (31 oz. empty) for sometime now. The weight isn't bad. After carrying a Springfield XD40 Subcompact for awhile the thin frame on a 1911 is a God send. I'd go with the one that feels best in your hand, and offers the best site picture.

Personally, I have always been weight sensitive, so I have stayed away from the full sized steel 1911s and similar. Maybe its in my head, because I have never given the heavy weapons much of a chance.

Having said that, 7 oz does seem like a significant portion of 27 oz. For that reason, I have been turned off of the CBOB in the past. From what I have heard, it is a fine weapon, I just wish it was made with an aluminum frame.

Have you considered a Wesson CCO? It is about 27 oz empty.

<broken link removed>

I have checked out the CCO, but it's at least a couple hundred more and I really like the look of the stainless guns.

I would worry less about a few ounces and more about dependability. My first requirement in a firearm is that it go "BANG!" everytime I pull the trigger. I wouldn't have a gun would that put 9 shots in one hole and then misfire the tenth time. If you can shoot it and it fires everytime, that would be important to me. Most any good quality gun will probably hit close enough to where you aim to do the job you want.

Maybe I am too much of a slave to fashion, but I prefer slimmer fitting clothes, tucked shirts, etc....all things that make concealed carry a pain. For me, size and weight matter a lot. There was a time that I would just not carry if I couldn't comfortably and easily carry with what I wanted to wear. I now carry all the time and will, to a limited extent, modify my wardrobe just enough to hide my gun. But, for me, size and weight are huge when I decide which gun to carry. I have bought several guns thinking that they were "not THAT bulky" or "not THAT heavy," only to find that, after the novelty wore off, I carried them less and less often. I liked to shoot the guns, just hated carrying them.

Now I carry my keltec with an extra mag on a pocket or my S&W 642 (in the winter when I am wearing a ton of clothes). Occasionaly I grab a bigger heavier gun, only to find myself contemplating a quick trip home to change guns a few hours later.

Once you go above 25- 26 ounces empty it will get old quickly carrying it around all the time. Lots of good light weight reliable firearms available out there to choose from. If you leave it at home it does no good.

I know this isn't your question and its a bit like comparing apples and oranges, but have you considered a Glock 30? 10 round mag 45 ACP with a 24 ounce weight. It is wider than 1911s, but if weight is your main concern, it may be worth considering. I have small hands and recently bought a 30SF. I like the way it feels. Now, if I could just get out to the range to try it out!

I would look into a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry. Weighs in at 28oz with an unloaded magazine. My father has this gun, which prompted me to buy the Kimber Pro CDP, but if you're after stainless, it's a purdy gun I'd trust my life with. Also think about holster selection. My Milt Sparks Versa Max II is miles better than any other holster I've tried, which makes a huge difference for daily comfort.

To be honest, weights never bothered me a whole lot, dimensions are where the irritation sets in.

I agree with this. Between the two, I'd take the one I like the most at the best price. Seven 200gr. cartridges check in at 5ozs., (assuming the specs above already include the magazine) - that means more like 32 ozs. vs 39 ozs., a smaller difference than 27 vs. 34 ozs.

Weight is less of an issue for some one in their 20s than some one in their 60s. For me (60+) the less weight the more likely I will carry it. When I was in my 20s a 4LB gun belt was OK now it had better be less than 1.5 LB, and then it gets heavy fast. Bill :D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top