JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all - getting my first rifle scope soon, and hoping to use my 308 (eventually) for general medium to large game.

I was able to get a great deal on a scope, but the low end is 4x.

I've heard from some folks that 4x is too much for anything under, at most, around 40-50 yards.

Did I get too much scope?

4x is ok, in my view. I prefer 3x at first or last light, but you can still acquire close targets quickly with 4x. If the scope is already purchased, I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm going to switch scopes on my .270 and 45-70. I've got a 4X on the 45-70 and a 6X on the .270. The 6X has a small field of vision and since I only target shoot with the 45-70 will work better there plus the extra magnification will make it easy to see the holes at 100 yards. I want to hunt with the .270 so the 4X with it's German style cross hairs will be a better choice out to a couple hundred yards. So yes, the 4X will be fine on your .308.

OP, when I first started hunting deer, most everybody used a Weaver fixed 4x scope or iron sights. It was fine. Later I bought a 3x-9x variable, but mostly left it on 4x. My .22lr rifle stays on 6x for ground squirrels.

You see, it kinda depends on where and what you are hunting. Although a 1.5x-6x or a 2x-7x might be preferable for the heavier brush of the western sections of PNW states, if hunting in the eastern part of the state where there is more open space and longer shots, a 4x-12x can be a good choice. Esp for people like me with failing eyesight. (I even owned a 6x-18x and an 8x-36x for varmint hunting).

My guess is that you will be fine with 4x.

Thank you everyone. I'm one of those late bloomers who never learned how to hunt as a kid or young adult, and am going to jump into it next year, so I will be at the mercy of whomever takes me wherever I go. My concern was that, as @bbbass said, the brushy portions might prove too close for 4x, but I'm hoping it'll be alright. If not, I suppose I can always get a bush gun later for that purpose ;)

Thank you everyone. I'm one of those late bloomers who never learned how to hunt as a kid or young adult, and am going to jump into it next year, so I will be at the mercy of whomever takes me wherever I go. My concern was that, as @bbbass said, the brushy portions might prove too close for 4x, but I'm hoping it'll be alright. If not, I suppose I can always get a bush gun later for that purpose ;)

Yes you can. We mostly learn by doing, so enjoy your hunt and take whatever lessons you can.

For instance, I learned that I do NOT have the skills for shooting at running deer... 5 shots and no blood. :(

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top