JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It will be easier to find 9mm, you can find .40 now sometimes but 9mm was the 2nd easiest ammo to find during the ammo scare, right behind shotshells. 9mm is cheaper than .40. IMO, a .40 is really only good if you work in law enforcement where they buy your ammo for you. If you want a big bullet get a .45. "Affordable" is a very relative term.

.40 has more power than 9mm. But if the idea is to get a big bullet get a .45, you get about the same capacity and gun size in the double stack - double action pistols between the 2. .45 is really hard to find right now but if you dig you can find it, and it's more expensive than .40 but packs a bigger punch.

Shot placement, blah, blah..... Just practice alot with whatever you get, a bullet is a bullet now matter how big it is.

Fishermans Marine, or online at www.palmettostatearmory.com, www.ammoman.com , etc.. for ammo.

For your first handgun I would get a 1911 or other single action pistol and/or a .22lr pistol, like a ruger mark 3. The mark 3's are great guns and are about $260 at fishermans. The polymer guns/double stack guns have a double action/striker fired trigger, meaning that the trigger is doing more than dropping a hammer, which translates into a bad (long, gritty, creepy) trigger pull. They are harder to be accurate with, when compared to a single action (when you are first starting out).

During the early months of the "shortage" most stores had .40 when 9mm and .45 was out.... that said, if I had to do it over again, I would buy 9mm and .45....

My first handgun is a XD .40 and I love it... I have a lot of ammo for it... but 9mm and .45 are just fine... (and 9mm is cheaper)

Hello

I have 1000 rounds of 40 S&W factories new. I think more than half are hollow points and the others are full metal jackets,all for $350.00 these are good defenses ammos.
Please let me know if you are interst or not???
Thank you

a buddy of mine has 8 boxes (400 rds) all name brands like winchester he is looking for a quality scope he will be posting in the ammo section soon

Wow saw a lot of boxes of 9mm, .40, .45 at Wholesale Sports (old Sportsmens) with decent prices. For people who like to drive I went to Cabelas and they had a decent selection also, and they were the only store I found .380 ammo ($17) they had a stack on the shelves, though I'm not familiar with the brand.

Wow, some prices and available sound great. Definately will load reguardless.
Personal protection Gold Dots are about $30 for 20. A box of Gold Dots for short barrels run $25 per 100. A couple of penneys for primers and about 1000 reloads per pound of powder. What not to like about reloading when I have a few thousand once fired cases.
Due to the department's choice of 40 Glocks, I own a 22, and a sub compact 27. If a local smith and dealer is able to get the Glock franchize, I will also pick up another 22 at police prices. Yep I know all the can't shoot lead or reloads or lightening will strike with a Kabam! I am before this a died in the wool 1911 person. However, Glocks are both fun and a serious street weapon that has really grown on me. Ran tactics with both of them,and threw in the 1911. It flat puts them in one little tiny area. The Glocks seem never to run dry, and where the 45 took several load outs, the lowly Glock did one. Now, both Glocks now wear a Lone Wolf match barrel, so lead isn't an issue any longer. Accuracy is very much inproved to where annual qualification rounds could pretty well be covered with a hand (Got little ones,
3'' across the palm).
The 40s in this area pretty well scarce until recently, but I did a just in case,
and ordered a Lone Wolf Conversion 9mm barrel and a handful of the recent Korean magazines in 9mm. Good to go for either caliber if needed. What a fun thing, drop in parts that actually work.
I like the 40s about equal any more. Probably not a nickles difference between 45 ACP and the 40 SW in 180 grain. My only concern is the subcompact's velocity. Guess others are also, because the Gold Dots come in two configerations for the 180 gr. The regular and one strickly for short barreled pistols. It appears to have a larger cavity and thiner nose. How do they do that? Same weight, but a bigger hollow point!!!!!
I still have a box of two hundred fifty Remington FMJ from Sportsmen's Warehouse in Medford. I think they were $78 or 89 last January. The same for 45 ACP was $90. A month later and since then, it looks like old mother Hubbert's bare shelves. One closeout buy where I picked up a brick of 22 Short, Winchester, for $17. It was the only one next to a couple bxs of 9s
I know that the 40s must still be in short supply, as normally duty rounds are fired at each annual qualification. This year mags were emptied and Blazer

the cheapy aluminum cased 165 grain FMJ were used. Duty rounds went back into the mags afterwards. Oh well, this weather can't last forever. Like gasoline, the prices may stay inflated when demand is met. You would think with the troops in sand and poppyland that 9mms would be dry like .223!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top