1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

Is 12ga reloading cost effective?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Peteralexander78, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Peteralexander78

Peteralexander78 vancouver Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

I go shooting 2-5 times a month. For me it is a ton of fun to shoot clays up at Larch with family and friends. Today my buddy asked me since I shoot so much, if I was reloading my own shells? That got me thinking. Is it cost effective and what it cost me for a good easy set up? Right now I just plan on doing 12ga and only 12ga.
    Branned2011 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. jonn5335

jonn5335 Longview Active Member

It's not cost effective to reload trap shells. I can buy a 100rnd value pack at walmart for $23. I have a shotshell loader and a couple thousand hulls waiting for when it is cost effective. If you search around you may be able to come across some 2nd hand shot for $1 a pound and that would bring it down to $20 per 100. If you build a shot maker and buy your lead on the cheap $.30-.50 you could make it worth while but that's a whole other beast I've been going to build a shot maker for 2 years now I just have'nt got around to it
  3. Branned2011

Branned2011 Oregon Member

Great question and reply...thanks!:thumbup: