JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No offense meant but why is this thread in the general firearm discussion area?

Dang! I can't even imagine the income or scenario where I would have a $10k tax bill.

Ours was well over double that and that was after deductions and we didn't sell any stock or cash in 401's etc. just straight wages and retirement so I can believe it

Kevatc,

I lost a house in 2011 due to a voluntary repossession. Basically I handed back the keys to the lender, after trying to sell the home. Because this was in California, the lender sent me a 1099 for the "fair market value" of the home. It nearly doubled my yearly income in less than a second. The end result, $9,957 for fed income tax and $3589 to the state. I sorta laugh about the state thing because the money went to Oregon, not to California. It took me 8 months of payments to get it paid off... glad it is over...just finished paying it off last month.

One other recommendation: get your congressperson involved. A phone call or two and a few words on a congressman's letterhead can speed things up noticably.

My parents were audited 11 years in a row. Nothing would stop they audits. They finally gave up with the accountants and the lawyer and got their congressman on the case (they loathed their congressman by the way). The audits stopped. They haven't been harassed since and its been 20 years.

I must be reading something wrong it looks to me like the IRS carried out an automatic withdrawl that you set up to pay your taxes. Then YOU SENT them a check for 10K. I don't see where they took the money twice. I do see where you sent the money the second time.

Hope you get it back.

correct. I allowed them to automatically withdraw, and also sent them a check thinking my automatic withdrawal request didn't go work because it had been 4 months.

Kevatc,

I lost a house in 2011 due to a voluntary repossession. Basically I handed back the keys to the lender, after trying to sell the home. Because this was in California, the lender sent me a 1099 for the "fair market value" of the home. It nearly doubled my yearly income in less than a second. The end result, $9,957 for fed income tax and $3589 to the state. I sorta laugh about the state thing because the money went to Oregon, not to California. It took me 8 months of payments to get it paid off... glad it is over...just finished paying it off last month.

So if you no longer own the home and the bank takes it back how is it a taxable asset to you? Anyway, bummed you had to go through that. I hope things turn around for you and you can get back on your financial feet.

So if you no longer own the home and the bank takes it back how is it a taxable asset to you? Anyway, bummed you had to go through that. I hope things turn around for you and you can get back on your financial feet.

If the lien holder "forgives" the balance owed on the contract that's considered to be income (since you owed it but didn't pay it) and you're taxed on that basis.

Go to the IRS office in downtown Portland and see a service agent in person. I have had so many problems resolved that way you wouldn't believe it. They can access your account in the system which should clearly show the double payment and probably can initiate the action right away. You don't need an appointment, although you should allow 2-3 hours just in case they're busy. It's a take a number sort of thing. But they're helpful, although you have to remember they're still IRS employees.

You might want to talk to a tax pro about that. For the past several years at least you don't owe taxes on foreclosed properties. At least on your primary residence.

I was in the same boat last year and I had known going in there wasn't any tax liability.

I owned my own business for over 12 years, thanks to blowing off the IRS I've been a construction worker for the last 20. No real regrets, but in the end the IRS always wins.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top