JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
With the world as it currently is, I probably would have made the same decision to put the liability on LE.

I wish we lived in a world where safe gun handling was taught at a very young age to every child, and where those too dangerous to have guns were locked up.

How did you do that…. What with your mouth being full and all?!

Now THAT'S talent right there!
download.jpeg

Excuses for poor gun handling and possibly putting others at risk due to irresponsibility is never OK. Who do you think had a bigger impact the op or Leo for this teaching moment.
Seems like there was no "teaching moment", just a delay. Personally, I would have asked for a description, checked ID/CHL and handed it over. I believe anyone who forgot a firearm behind would be embarrassed enough to not repeat that mistake.
Once, when hunting, I leaned my rifle against the truck while I was unlocking the doors and waiting for the wife to show up. We got a mile down the road before I realized it's place in the rifle rack was empty. I bout crapped my pants! Whipped the truck around and headed back. There is was, laying where I'd been parked. I "paid for it" by being freaked out that it could have been stolen, by the fact that when I ran it over it tweaked the scope in the mounts and by having to return home to repair the small amount of damage, losing out on the rest of the day's hunting. I've always been careful with my guns. That incident made me even more so.
People make mistakes. Granted when a firearm is involved it could result in more serious circumstances, but I'm not the one to judge.

You do you, @Dirty-30_lever , but if you were in her shoes you might have a different view of the situation. In her defense, she did wait patiently for the police to arrive. If it had been me, I would have called to make sure they were on the way to be sure you were being honest.

I don't understand why people put their guns on the back of the toilet, or on top of the toilet paper dispenser, etc. If you have to take your gun off, it goes in the legs of your pants. There's no way you can walk out of the stall without it.

And you never want to hang it on the hook on the door either. Someone can easily reach over and steal it.

Once, when hunting, I leaned my rifle against the truck while I was unlocking the doors
I can say this happens more than most hunters will admit to...

I agree if the OP had a bad day he would view the response differently. As long as no one got hurt we shouldn't be doing anything that could potentially cost someone their gun or rights just because we might feel they need to be taught a lesson. People are human and anyone can have a bad day. The fact that the lady waited patiently for the police to arrive without giving the OP grief tells me she was accepting her lesson learned. The officer probably saw that when he gave her the gun and let her on her way....

Ever since I've been an "adult" (some of my family and friends say I've not yet achieved!) I realized it's best to fess up. People might pay attention to the lessons I learned the hard way and save themselves some grief.

I agree if the OP had a bad day he would view the response differently. As long as no one got hurt we shouldn't be doing anything that could potentially cost someone their gun or rights just because we might feel they need to be taught a lesson. People are human and anyone can have a bad day. The fact that the lady waited patiently for the police to arrive without giving the OP grief tells me she was accepting her lesson learned. The officer probably saw that when he gave her the gun and let her on her way....
I never have! ;)

1669316499017.png

Very true and it could have gone a whole different direction once LE was involved. Jamming someone up with a gun negligence charge is a misdemenor in most places. Up to a year in the pokey, possibly firearm forfeiture, lose of their CHL, likely denied an OR purchase permit.... 🤪

I think the LEO handled it very well. Simply handing it back without making a production out of it by clearing it and handing it back in parts might have been his way of consciously saying.... ""Why-t-f am I being bothered with this BS?" ;)

Seems like there was no "teaching moment", just a delay. Personally, I would have asked for a description, checked ID/CHL and handed it over. I believe anyone who forgot a firearm behind would be embarrassed enough to not repeat that mistake.
Once, when hunting, I leaned my rifle against the truck while I was unlocking the doors and waiting for the wife to show up. We got a mile down the road before I realized it's place in the rifle rack was empty. I bout crapped my pants! Whipped the truck around and headed back. There is was, laying where I'd been parked. I "paid for it" by being freaked out that it could have been stolen, by the fact that when I ran it over it tweaked the scope in the mounts and by having to return home to repair the small amount of damage, losing out on the rest of the day's hunting. I've always been careful with my guns. That incident made me even more so.
People make mistakes. Granted when a firearm is involved it could result in more serious circumstances, but I'm not the one to judge.

You do you, @Dirty-30_lever , but if you were in her shoes you might have a different view of the situation. In her defense, she did wait patiently for the police to arrive. If it had been me, I would have called to make sure they were on the way to be sure you were being honest.

According to some here, you probably should have performed a citizens arrest on yourself, waited for the cops to come chew you out, and then have yourself checked for your papers.

The permeation of magic-talisman, "but, but, but,...it's a GUN!!" thinking here is somewhere between disappointing, disheartening, and downright disgusting. It is a valuable piece of personal property, nothing more. Would you shake down someone who forgot their purse or a piece of jewelry or a watch?? "But, but, but,...it's a GUN!!" So what?? Secure it like you would any other piece of lost property worth a few hundred dollars. When someone comes to claim it ask a few questions to verify it is probably theirs, like model and caliber, just as you might ask for color and style of a purse, or ask for brand and type of band on a watch.
Do you stake out the parking lot to make sure everyone's car is properly licensed?? Call the cops because one of them might be stolen?? "But, but, but,...it's a GUN!!" So what?? She had it when she got there, and except for a probable lapse of good sense, would have had it when she left.
A simple "You're damn lucky to get this back!!", which would be appropriate for any forgotten article of real value, should have been plenty to say. "But, but, but,...it's a GUN!!" SO WHAT??

Hummm.........

Some might use this example/story........for Gun Registration. Not ME.

BUT, But, but..........

How does one really know, that it was actually her property?

Aloha, Mark

I wish I could quadruple-like this post!

It seems like there's a lot in the "gun community" who believe a government agent SHOULD check your papers before you exercise your 2nd amendment right. Interesting turn of events.

My personal I was an idiot story:

Back in 2002, I was living with some friends of mine who had a 6 year old son. The SOP for them when you got home was to remove your CCW and place it up on the hutch where their son couldn't reach it. At bedtime, the gun went into the room with you. In the morning it went back up on the hutch.

One morning I forgot to bring my gun out of my room. Their son, who they taught well, found my gun in the room when he went to play his video game. He ran out, told his dad, who then retrieved it and handed it to me. All the blood in my face ran away with embarrassment and shame and he didn't say a word. He didn't need to. I knew I effed up, he knew I effed up. It was left at that and never happened again.

We both praised his son for doing exactly what he was taught.

So there it is. Make fun of me, Monday morning quarterback it. I don't give a bubblegum. Lessons were learned without a self-righteous lecture, which only satisfies the person doing the lecturing, I tend to tune them out.

I believe anyone who forgot a firearm behind would be embarrassed enough to not repeat that mistake.
Well, the OP described her as a 'petite blonde' which could explain a lot. Ya know the 'hot girl' pass. 'Embarrassment' may never enter this girl's thinking and a lot of guys tend to loose their sense of 'awareness' when the subject is a hot petudi in tight jeans.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top