JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wish I could quadruple-like this post!

It seems like there's a lot in the "gun community" who believe a government agent SHOULD check your papers before you exercise your 2nd amendment right. Interesting turn of events.

My personal I was an idiot story:

Back in 2002, I was living with some friends of mine who had a 6 year old son. The SOP for them when you got home was to remove your CCW and place it up on the hutch where their son couldn't reach it. At bedtime, the gun went into the room with you. In the morning it went back up on the hutch.

One morning I forgot to bring my gun out of my room. Their son, who they taught well, found my gun in the room when he went to play his video game. He ran out, told his dad, who then retrieved it and handed it to me. All the blood in my face ran away with embarrassment and shame and he didn't say a word. He didn't need to. I knew I effed up, he knew I effed up. It was left at that and never happened again.

We both praised his son for doing exactly what he was taught.

So there it is. Make fun of me, Monday morning quarterback it. I don't give a bubblegum. Lessons were learned without a self-righteous lecture, which only satisfies the person doing the lecturing, I tend to tune them out.
I'm not sure what to say. I know where every single gun I own is right this mo-

Hang on a sec.

:D

So some kid gets hurt from having access to the loaded pistol in the bathroom, lets say it drops on the floor and goes off - its a learning lesson? What message are we sending - its ok to be irresponsible with a loaded fire arm because its a mistake. We can only hope she learned something, bet she doesnt forget the incident.
Glad you've never forgotten anything important in your life. But having dealt with you before, I expect nothing less from you.

And a found wallet would no doubt contain items that let an employee quickly determine if the claimant is the true owner. Since the lost wallet presents no safety or legal constraints, that employee could and probably would immediately hand the wallet back to the owner. As I said, I've been there, so I've got an inside track on how "found property" is handled without causing liability - or butt-hurt - for anyone.
And so you think that someone walking into a business out of the blue and asking if they found a Colt model XXX in the restroom just now doesn't identify the owner?

Today I received a phone call from a customer stating they were inside of our restrooms and had found a gun… in light of last nights shooting, I didn't know what I'm walking into. I took every precaution I could to make contact and procure the pistol. It was loaded and ready to go. I put it in our safe until LE arrived. The citizen who reported it was upstanding, and soon after I have a petite blonde telling me she's sorry and that it was her gun. I told her the police were on their way and that she could deal with them and that I was in no way gonna give her the gun. When LE showed up I explained that when I release this weapon to you that you need to exit the store before you return it. They walked out…He never questioned her or asked for her CPL… just handed it right to her and left…. Unbelievable!!!!!!!!! Seriously had no words for her while on the clock🤘
I'm just glad no kids or vagrants got ahold of it! Rant over!!
And so no actual harm was done, and once the handgun was recovered and in your safe there was no safety issue. People don't just randomly walk in off the street and ask if you found a certain brand and model of handgun in your restroom today unless maybe they own one and left it there. I would not have gotten the cops involved. The owner undoubtedly learned a lesson that will stick with her. No need to make her life more complicated than it needs to be.

Has it occurred to anyone that if the op did not involve LE and simply gave the firearm back to the female...that technically a violation of the 2015 private party transfer prohibition would have existed ?
He had no way to confirm that she was the legal owner and had an active CHL. The LE did.

The fug up prize goes to 1, the female. The grand prize belongs to the officer for not confirming ownership and CHL status. That was his responsibility.

OK..Everything turned out rosey. It could easily have gone the other way.

Every time something like this turns bad, the event is weoponized against responsible gun owners. I for one am dam tired for paying for some unknown idiots carelessness in the form of the latest and greatest gun bill.

NO, NOT ME ,
NO MORE !

She was an adult and therefore responsible for her own actions.

The officer should have done time on the bricks for his ineptitude.

In said scenario, I personally would own a new firearm....When she came back and asked about it, there would be a bunch of huhs? and what's? going on.
Well, whatever it is nobody here is gonna tug it!
And it ain't gonna tug itself....
One in the hand is better than two in the bush.
Wrong. And if I had two, I'd be a movie star.

In said scenario, I personally would own a new firearm....When she came back and asked about it, there would be a bunch of huhs? and what's? going on.
Which brings up another scenario.
Johnny keeps gun. Petite Blondie reports as stolen. Johnny gets caught with stolen gun.

That one might not work so well.

8-10 years ago we stopped at the west bound rest area at Deadman Pass east of Pendelton. There was a guy just standing by the front door. As I went in he said, "There's a gun in the stall. The State Police are on their way." I peeked in the stall and right on the handrail by the TP dispenser was a nickel revolver in an old, brown holster. It looked like an old Hopkins and Allen. Cool gun. After I left I wondered, "What would I have done if I found it?"

Probably similar to what that guy did, although I'd have probably taken it to the State Police, as I could carry on about my way and make a quick stop. In that instance I believe either way was to involve the cops. No telling how long it would be until the guy could return, either. I know I sure as hell wouldn't have left it there, though. I think the guy at the door was afraid to touch it...

A petite blonde, you say? Did you get her number?

(Had to lighten the mood guys. Y'all are turning a day of thanks and celebration into a piddlin' match. Ain't nobody got time fo' dat!)

Which brings up another scenario.
Johnny keeps gun. Petite Blondie reports as stolen. Johnny gets caught with stolen gun.

That one might not work so well.

8-10 years ago we stopped at the west bound rest area at Deadman Pass east of Pendelton. There was a guy just standing by the front door. As I went in he said, "There's a gun in the stall. The State Police are on their way." I peeked in the stall and right on the handrail by the TP dispenser was a nickel revolver in an old, brown holster. It looked like an old Hopkins and Allen. Cool gun. After I left I wondered, "What would I have done if I found it?"

Probably similar to what that guy did, although I'd have probably taken it to the State Police, as I could carry on about my way and make a quick stop. In that instance I believe either way was to involve the cops. No telling how long it would be until the guy could return, either. I know I sure as hell wouldn't have left it there, though. I think the guy at the door was afraid to touch it...
At a rest area or other place with no counter or staff to report it to, I'm definitely turning it over to LE, probably in whatever manner is most convenient to me at the time.

I would have looked for the guy in well-worn blue jeans held up with a dinner plate for a belt buckle, plaid western shirt, leather vest, ornate cowboy boots, all topped off with a hat a family of squirrels could live in.

He would be found in the parking lot, hastily looking through his 50's era Ford, likely with a horse trailer attached, for the missing piece.

But I'm a profilin' SOB. And that's wrong.

I would have looked for the guy in well-worn blue jeans held up with a dinner plate for a belt buckle, plaid western shirt, leather vest, ornate cowboy boots, all topped off with a hat a family of squirrels could live in.

He would be found in the parking lot, hastily looking through his 50's era Ford, likely with a horse trailer attached, for the missing piece.

But I'm a profilin' SOB. And that's wrong.
I've seen that guy! Lives up around Whitefish, doesn't he?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top