JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My grandfather was a Survivalist though the .Gov took his gold and the silencer on his deer rifle he was able to feed a family of 11 with game/garden/livestock. He was invested in realestate which he sold at intervals.
He ran out of ammo in WW1 because of .Gov rationing so when WW2 came along he stockpiled ammo and still had quite a bit when he died in the 1970's, much of that ammo still fired.
In his life time he weathered several financial crisises, wars, earthquakes, fies and civil unrest by being away from the focal points of those events, though theya all had varying impacts on his life.
Being prepared is about mindset AND preps, the 1st is vital to the second.
Storing food,growing food is Not Prepping, it is what was always done prior to electricity and modern transport. The rest is all gaurenteed under the Bill Of Rights

I read the OP comments and basically agreed with many comments.

I am glad to see some people have thorough plans and have gone through drills.

In the NW you have one of the basics of survival not that far away from most people - water. But even with that most people do not have a clue on what to do and have not even attempted to try to survive for a short period.

But if I read the statistics ( And assuming nobody really cares about the NW)
The key issues will be disease that will affect most people. Disease from other people not associated with your group. So when people start talking about sharing with friends – better be careful.

So having been through the Nuclear threat in the 50’s and all the bomb shelters that were built - the exercises of what to do and where to find people.. Experienced trying to survive for couple of weeks in the desert. Experiencing the renewal interest in survival shelters and survival packs -
It probably won’t be food, or guns, or how well you prepared. IN some regions - not water. It is going to be how well you control the transmission of disease in your group , psychological issues., and how creative you are to deal with survival issues. If you are paranoid now - wait til something happens. If you have not tried to put yourself in survival mode - you will never understand what it means.

My Opinion.

If I had to put a bet on the groups that will do the best: Mormons. Not because of just their focus on stocking food and water. But because of their faith and relationships to survive and also overcome te psychological issues

I read the OP comments and basically agreed with many comments.

I am glad to see some people have thorough plans and have gone through drills.

In the NW you have one of the basics of survival not that far away from most people - water. But even with that most people do not have a clue on what to do and have not even attempted to try to survive for a short period.

But if I read the statistics ( And assuming nobody really cares about the NW)
The key issues will be disease that will affect most people. Disease from other people not associated with your group. So when people start talking about sharing with friends – better be careful.

So having been through the Nuclear threat in the 50's and all the bomb shelters that were built - the exercises of what to do and where to find people.. Experienced trying to survive for couple of weeks in the desert. Experiencing the renewal interest in survival shelters and survival packs -
It probably won't be food, or guns, or how well you prepared. IN some regions - not water. It is going to be how well you control the transmission of disease in your group , psychological issues., and how creative you are to deal with survival issues. If you are paranoid now - wait til something happens. If you have not tried to put yourself in survival mode - you will never understand what it means.

My Opinion.

If I had to put a bet on the groups that will do the best: Mormons. Not because of just their focus on stocking food and water. But because of their faith and relationships to survive and also overcome te psychological issues

Survival poker:
I will match your Mormons and raise you Amish.

Once sanitation is compromised disease is a real threat, my wife's great grand parents came west in 1852 thier wagon train was the only one with no deaths from Cholera but 10 years later 50% of the family was wiped out in 9 days by Diptheria while they lived near Brownsville

Survival poker:
I will match your Mormons and raise you Amish.

Agreed, but I don't know of too many Mormons that have a conscious objection to firearms. The Amish might be living high and mighty while the rest of civilized society burns to the ground- but a few pitchforks isn't going to be sh*t against one dude with an AR-15.

It doesn't do you any good to own all the supplies in the world if you have no means to protect it.

You can call me irrational if you wish, but the way I see it, the food and other supplies purchased over the years to compile a years supply for myself and family are worth quite a bit more today than it was when originally bought. We rotate stock and it's obvious when we restock that the price isn't going down any time soon. As far as ammunition, I wont begin to post here that amount, but you can be sure that it's enough. Just remember the old adage that chance prefers the prepared mind. I wont waist a moments time worrying about others not being prepared, that is, until it impacts my family. I don't wear a seat belt because I believe that I will be in a wreck on any particular day, and when I carry daily, it's not because I feel the threat of imminent doom, but if it happens that I need it and don't have it on me, and that pertains to either, well shame on me.

Agreed, but I don't know of too many Mormons that have a conscious objection to firearms. The Amish might be living high and mighty while the rest of civilized society burns to the ground- but a few pitchforks isn't going to be sh*t against one dude with an AR-15.

It doesn't do you any good to own all the supplies in the world if you have no means to protect it.

It's not about what they have stashed. It is about the fact that they already live in world without science and industry.
They would hardly notice if all the supply chain failed and the power grid went away.
They just might ask one another "Abram, what happened to all the English?"

Another Irrational Prepper is one who prepares for every possible disaster scenario; but fails to plan for success. There is at least a little tiny chance that life as we know it will continue until we die.

Paying down your debts, saving for retirement and occasionally pampering yourself with the things in life that make life worth living (like vacations and sports and hobbies) are examples of what I would call "Planning for Success"

I don't see why it has to be one or the other. Either you KNOW the world is going to end and you 100% prepare for that; or you KNOW everything will work out and you continue to squander your resources....BOTH are stupid and irrational.

Like most things- wisdom is found somewhere between the two extremes....

It's not about what they have stashed. It is about the fact that they already live in world without science and industry.
They would hardly notice if all the supply chain failed and the power grid went away.
They just might ask one another "Abram, what happened to all the English?"

If you can think about the Amish making it alright, then so can the bad guys. People aren't just going to sit on their butt and starve. They'll loot, pillage and form raiding parties with friends/gangs. People will migrate to the nearby farms and orchards....the Amish will be a "high value target". What's not to like? Food, water, resources and nothing is defended!

If you can think about the Amish making it alright, then so can the bad guys. People aren't just going to sit on their butt and starve. They'll loot, pillage and form raiding parties with friends/gangs. People will migrate to the nearby farms and orchards....the Amish will be a "high value target". What's not to like? Food, water, resources and nothing is defended!

Nothing is defended? Did you forget about Harrison Ford? That boy put the woopa$$ on a few high end hired guns by gumbo:s0112:

Another Irrational Prepper is one who prepares for every possible disaster scenario; but fails to plan for success. There is at least a little tiny chance that life as we know it will continue until we die.

Paying down your debts, saving for retirement and occasionally pampering yourself with the things in life that make life worth living (like vacations and sports and hobbies) are examples of what I would call "Planning for Success"

I don't see why it has to be one or the other. Either you KNOW the world is going to end and you 100% prepare for that; or you KNOW everything will work out and you continue to squander your resources....BOTH are stupid and irrational.

Like most things- wisdom is found somewhere between the two extremes....

Broken Pencil Award Nominee

Retirement funds will be better saved at home with what ever you choose of value to save. When SHTF senario our banking system will look like someone nuked it. Anything you had in investments or bank will be gone, poof.

you are drunk, and riding the .25 cent horse ride outside the Gervais food mart, wearing a camo jacket and rubber boots, and you're 40 years old, and it's 9:17am on a Sunday.

You are wrong. I was 22 and I prefer not to remember what I do remember about that night. Found myself on that stupid horse three more times before I decided to stop drinking.

Retirement funds will be better saved at home with what ever you choose of value to save. When SHTF senario our banking system will look like someone nuked it. Anything you had in investments or bank will be gone, poof.

While I totally agree with you for when TSHTF......my post was more about IF the schmear does NOT hit the fan....which I think that most rational people can at least acknowledge as a possibility....even if it is not likely it is still a possibility.

I'd put "life as we know it remains intact during my lifetime" as more likely than nuclear holocaust, but less likely than political unrest.

Either way, it deserves some consideration and planning for THAT scenario as well.....right?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top