JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I got my Wal-Mart tent, ronco collapsible fishing buddy and a bag of Ho-Ho's. All ready to run off to the woods and live happily ever after! Glad I got that covered - Party On!

Actually, this would put you ahead of a lot of people. Knowng what you're doing (training) is far more important than gear.

And to another commenter's post: Opsec is always a matter of balance, even in the real military environment. If you don't have any friends because your entire life is covered by Opsec, you won't last very long or have much of a good time doing it. Obsessing about people coming to take your stuff can quickly spiral out of control. The (by a large margin) most likely scenario for which you might need your preps is a localized natural disaster. Witness the flooding in January (BTW< there has been a presidential declaration of disaster status, and FEMA assistance is avbailable: <broken link removed> ).

I wouldn't advertise that I have a bunch of valuable items that could be stolen, but I don't think encouraging family, friends, and neighbours to be a little more responsible is a bad idea. A lot of inter fora will have people chiming in with that one word: "opsec" like it's a magic mantra of wisdom. But it doesn't really mean much without being qualified by a reasonable discussion of what you should be quiet about and what you should be shouting fromt he rooftops. After all, if everybody were a little more prepared, you wouldn't have to worry about them coming to take your stuff...

I wouldn't advertise that I have a bunch of valuable items that could be stolen, but I don't think encouraging family, friends, and neighbours to be a little more responsible is a bad idea. BINGO. Just as your family and close circle of friends are important in normal times. in a crisis they will be your most valuable survival tool. Our family has detailed plans of who will bring what, where we will link up before travelling to our final locale, and contingency plans for alternate routes and hook up points. We also have a plan to cover no-shows and who will come looking for them and what the limits of the search will be. We utilize every mode of transport from aircraft to horses, and have actually incorporated a bug out drill in a family get together. There can be no doubt a dedicated group in a secure location has a much better chance of survival than an individual or basic family unit.

Our family has detailed plans of who will bring what, where we will link up before travelling to our final locale, and contingency plans for alternate routes and hook up points. We also have a plan to cover no-shows and who will come looking for them and what the limits of the search will be. We utilize every mode of transport from aircraft to horses, and have actually incorporated a bug out drill in a family get together. There can be no doubt a dedicated group in a secure location has a much better chance of survival than an individual or basic family unit.

Well said my friend! There is a cult like thinking that the 'lone wolf' is a stoic hero of some sorts. Unfortanetly the lone wolf is a creature on it's death bed. There has to be mutual cooperation and trust in a tribe like community or in your case your clan (<broken link removed> in case there are some youngsters on here who do not know what the word means and may mistaken it for a subversive racist organization) in order to effectively survive.

MA 2- compared to you and your family, I am but just a lowly 'senior ranch hand' on a farm out in the coastal hills.

SF-

Well said my friend! There is a cult like thinking that the 'lone wolf' is a stoic hero of some sorts. Unfortanetly the lone wolf is a creature on it's death bed. There has to be mutual cooperation and trust in a tribe like community or in your case your clan (<broken link removed> in case there are some youngsters on here who do not know what the word means and may mistaken it for a subversive racist organization) in order to effectively survive.

MA 2- compared to you and your family, I am but just a lowly 'senior ranch hand' on a farm out in the coastal hills.

SF-

Yes, we are very blessed in that we have a very large tract of land deep in the heart of Oregon to retreat to. Water, game, shelter, and difficult access.

Many good points!

I believe that we can all learn from each other but One Size does not fit all. I would also say survivalist how are unable to look beyond the Bug In, Bug Out, BOB, BOV, BOL, GHB, SHTF, TEOTWAWKI concepts are also irrational. Owning the question of preparedness yourself and too find solutions that work for your situation, your setting and your context is critical.

The Free Online Survival Guide

i have no problem with unprepared people. i wish more people were unprepared. less competition for the inevitable regional Lord of War position.

Prepping and Survivalism is big business now. We spend an enormous amount of time and money to be as prepared as we can. I think that it's starting to become more and more mainstream; it's not a "fringe" movement anymore.

It's impossible to say what the future will bring. We are still here in spite of all the warnings; I do not think that things will play out as many seem to believe.

Things can be learned from the BOB, BOL, BOV, Bug In, Bug Out, SHTF, TEOTWAWKI concepts but its import being able to think outside this box and adjust to threats that does not fit this profile.

The Free Online Survival Guide

in all seriousness... i'm not "prepared." i've got enough food and water to feed my family for a few days- because my wife buys in bulk, not because we make any concerted effort. our government isn't going to relinquish control of one square millimeter of American soil. we'd have widespread, long-term martial law LONG before any kind of societal collapse. and if society DOES completely "collapse," you think a few months, or even a few years worth of food is going to "save" you? you can't store a lifetime of food, and your odds of making it that long, food or no food, aren't with you. roving bands of mauraders will thank you for all your hard work, as they rape you inside out and shoot you.

i don't care if you guys want to be prepared for, and continue to hope and pray for, TEOTFWAWKI. i think you're all a bunch of silly-asses, if it brings you joy, i encourage you to. i mean it. people should pursue those things that give them joy/comfort/fun/peace of mind/whatever. but this high-horse attitude, elbow nudging, and snickering at all the "sheep" who don't share your unsubstantiated doom-n-gloom predictions is getting a little old. i'm sorry you're socially inept... but you'll never be wittier or better looking than me.

bkb000, we all know you're the wittiest, and the best looking....
but, if asked to describe yourself, would you say you are more handsome than witty,
wittier than you are attractive,
or witty and handsome in equal measure?

Another way to look at preparing would be like a life insurance policy. You aren't the one who benefits from a life insurance policy.

If I never have to find myself in a survival situation, then at least my son will have learned how to survive, and he will have a better chance to do so, and his children, and theirs . . . . How many people have died in or near their cars in this area because they got stuck in the snow? Their parents didn't teach them squat.

I think the chances of a full blown social SHTF event have decreased since the Soviet Union fell, and was the event I began prepping for lo those many years past, and social unrest in the US to an extreme level probably will not occur in what time I have left. That being said, being prepared is not the same as expecting it tomorrow. BUT it something bad were to happen, knowing what to do and that you are ready is warm fuzzy in the back of your mind.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top