JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"Is that a gun in your pocket?"

But....the cops are systematically RACIST. So, forget that you saw this.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....YES, even without a dot or holster......there are "enough problems" with concealment.

Last Edited:
although not a powder-burner (nor a red-dot), i wanted to up the cool-factor of an air-pistol and removed all sights, blades, "extras".

it's not easy JUST having a laser on and acquiring a target. i'm all waving the gun around looking for a red dot 30 feet away.

good thing I don't need it in a hurry.

dianachaserinplanocasejune2021.jpg

pardon my intrusion.

What I think people really over look is ability to Co-witness!! Not every gun with a RDS or RDO can co witness. Do your homework! Yes most optics ready pistols are going to be 200-300 more than the standard gun with iron sights. But if you get a gun that can co-witness with a red dot you get the best of both worlds! I feel like the better question would be is it worth the extra $200-500 for the MOS gun with the optics. That is definitely debatable. I think it's different for every person if you have bad eye sight a red dot makes sense for helping to acquire your target. If you have good vision and you can pick up iron sight easily then I'm not so sure. Definitely helps to have a red dot. Personally for me it comes down to cost and if I can co witness! I like the ability to still use the irons in case the optics ever sh*ts the bed when I need it to work! So it's helpful but it is also another thing you have to worry about going wrong. Check out part one and part two: in part two towards the end explains a little more in-depth the pros to red dot!

Last Edited:
What I think people really over look is ability to Co-witness!! Not every gun with a RDS or RDO can co witness. Do your homework! Yes most optics ready pistols are going to be 200-300 more than the standard gun with iron sights. But if you get a gun that can co-witness with a red dot you get the best of both worlds! I feel like the better question would be is it worth the extra $200-500 for the MOS gun with the optics. That is definitely debatable. I think it's different for every person if you have bad eye sight a red dot makes sense for helping to acquire your target. If you have good vision and you can pick up iron sight easily then I'm not so sure it definitely helps to have a red dot mainly comes down to cost and if I can co witnes to me in case the optics ever sh*ts the bed when I need it to work! Check out part one and part two: in part two towards the end explains a little more in-depth the pros to red dot!
The co-witness point in moot when dirt, dust, lint, gun oil, or booty sweat (sack steam if you appendix carry) is obstructing the lens.

The co-witness point in moot when dirt, dust, lint, gun oil, or booty sweat (sack steam if you appendix carry) is obstructing the lens.
The only optic I would run is a closed emitter like the acro specifically for that reason. I have had RMRs, Delta Point Pros, etc and the lense is a great shelf for lint, hair, dirt, and sack sweat as you say. Haha. I like irons for carry.

To the people who say that irons never fail though…. I have seen irons drift equally to an optic going down. All my irons have set screws specifically for this reason.

Carry what you trust your life and the life of others with. Be proficient with it. It's a choice. Just make the right one. I choose a high point 9mm and a NC star red dot…

At the distances I shoot a pistol and would expect to use it defensively, a red dot does nothing for me. I can point shoot at the distances I would use it defensively.

I've had the ability to try red dots on pistols. Definitely a personal preference. I didn't like having to look through a lens to see the target/use the sights. The difference between that and a rifle for me is probably how the cheek weld influences the consistency of the red dot, and the distance between the res dot and the eye compared to the pistol. On a pistol it felt more tunnel vision like.

Keep your equipment clean and fully functional and switch your factory sights to supressor hight sights and bingo! I clean my optic at least 3 times a week, if im trusting my life to it what is a extra 5 min a week???

I've got a couple low-end red dot sights. They work okay, but other than a novelty at the range, I've yet to learn to appreciate them. And one time...I turned on the sight only to discover a dead battery. Call it my fault, but it was a lesson well learned in more ways than one.

Not bashing them in any way, but they're not for everybody.

Last Edited:
I've got a couple low-end red dot sights. They work okay, but other than a novelty at the range, I've yet to learn to appreciate them. And one time...I turned on the sight only to discover a dead battery. Call it my fault, but it was a lesson well learned in more ways than one.

Not bashing them in any way, but they're not for everybody.
That might be the reason.

[WARNING - Fudd ALERT] LOL
If you would just shoot a 1911G you wouldn't need them new fangled flashlights to see where you are shooting. Just the display of a 1911 has been known to cause attackers to soil themselves and run away in fear.

[WARNING - Fudd ALERT] LOL
If you would just shoot a 1911G you wouldn't need them new fangled flashlights to see where you are shooting. Just the display of a 1911 has been known to cause attackers to soil themselves and run away in fear.
Are we talking flashlights or red dot optics… I'll stick with my Glock. They won't soil themselves but they won't breathe either. Lol.

If you're willing and able to practice, a red dot can be described as "cheating". In a self defense scenario I don't think if under the pressure you would be using either sights or red dot, just point in threat direction and press play. But...
Red dots make training more enjoyable.
Red dots make slide manipulation easier.
They improve accuracy.
Most red dots blink when the battery is low.
Red dots that have become obstructed by dirt or ball sweat will likely be cleared enough to use after first round fired.
Red dots can fail, but so can the round you have in the chamber. No system is impermeable to failure.

Of all the things that could prevent you from surviving a fight, having a red dot mounted is pretty low on the list.

I was looking on the edc pocket dump discussion and didn't see many red dots for edc. Why is that?
Red dots are counter-culture. Look back: Scopes on rifles took decades to take hold. RDs are probably considered fragile, and what if your Chinese battery takes a dump at the worst possible moment? The added bulk etc. and "potential" to affect fiunction are all arguments in contra. Functionally, no problem, but learning new tricks is tough for old dogs and grizzled old-school shooters.

I've switched to RDS for cc.
the "bulk" argument doesn't make much sense to me.
the location of the optic doesn't effect how well the pistol can be concealed.
it does take more time to train with. That is 100% true.
in regards to reliability, I have had more trouble with my iron sights moving than my red dot needing maintenance.
besides training, I don't see a downsize.

Tritium is your friend. No batteries to fail just when you need them most. other than the 12 year shelf life. LOL
My red dots get new battery's every year (just like my smoke detectors), not that they need them that often. My tritium equipped guns have dead or dying tritium, not worth the cost and trouble to have rejuvenated, they were good in their day...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top