JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My guess? Expense and trust. Maybe size? It's hard to get people to buy a $50 holster for their $500 gun, forget a $3-400 optic and, depending on brand, the optic cut model may cost more yet. Iron sights are proven reliable since... well... forever. Then there's getting used to it. I have a G34 MOS aaaaaand I shot it first with irons, then added a holosun and I can't decide if I like it or not. Cool concept but it's got growing pains for me. Finally, if I'm concealing a pistol, overall size is a giant factor in my choice. I don't use extended mags so to me the capacity is the flush mag. A G26 is a 10+1, not a 31+1 or whatever the big sticks are. A red dot adds considerable size.

That said, as I often work nights and don't see a lot of daylight, I'm personally considering a red dot on my EDC despite my perceived setbacks because it'll be much, much easier to find my point of aim, even moreso than night sights.

Thanks for the input. I've been running a red dot for 2 years now and will never go back. You always can fall back on your sights in worst case senerios. Also with the right holster I dont print anymore than before

I'm a big fan of carry what you like. If you want a red dot, go for it. My carry guns don't have red dot sights because:

Added weight, size, discomfort.
Lenses can get oily, foggy, distorted.
No real benefit within 10 feet (imo.)
The KISS principle has merit.

I love red dot sights. I have had them on rifles, competition hand guns, shotguns, lever actions and more. They can definitely let you shoot faster and more accurately in some cases.
The truth of the matter is that your very unlikely to ever use your carry gun, and you're even more unlikely that you'll be in a John Wick scenario where a RDS will make a difference. YMMV.

Last Edited:
Yeabut we're all John wick in our minds. I often tell the chest puffers out there that we regular folk are the people getting popped in the noggin or pushed over the railing of a stairwell, not the badarse who kills 5 men in 3 seconds without a scratch. You know, the extras.

Red dots and their use on carry guns have come a long way. But they still have a ways to go before they become the standard...likely due to cost and that there is a learning curve for them. Cost may continue coming down as the technology improves. But the learning curve is always going to be an obstacle. They also add weight and bulk.

It will be interesting to see what happens over the next 5-10 years.

I'm a fan btw. I have one on my carry gun...

fO8bxpx.jpg

ALL of my long guns and AR pistol have some kind of optics. My eye's and iron sights no longer work well together. :(

Have not yet gone to optics on any of the EDC pistols. I would like too a LOT. The tech has come light years and as with all tech price keeps going down.
As long as I have been shooting the topic of "sights" of any kind always seems to bring out a LOT of critics. Many saying that for EDC pistols they don't need sights at all much less anything else like optic and lasers. This sounds great and I have in many decades of shooting seen a handful of REALLY good shots. People who could shoot and hit with out needing sights. Some make it so easy its like magic. I can NOT do this and never have been able to. I have taken many to shoot who said they could until you get to a range with them. Suddenly they can not. Again though its a too each his own thing.

I have an optic on a range pistol but my carry gun is irons. I have complete trust in QUALITY proven optics but carry with irons simply due to simplicity and a streamlined tool. Although I carry with an optic from time to time. I think the money/training factor is a huge deterrent as it takes a decent amount of time to become quick and proficient with a RDS.

I cannot trust anything with a battery and glass. Besides, As pointed out above, the lense can be covered in pocket/holster Schmutz, along with everything else, and when seconds count, I know my irons will always work! Then there is the whole thing of a good fast and smooth draw from concealed anything that can snag, WILL, so keeping it free of stuff is paramount! I prefer night sights at the vary least my front sight, and I know they will always work! Finally, there is the whole size and weight thing, along with specialized holsters, adding to the complexity of something that needs none what so ever!

I get it, dots and other aids have some a long ways, help shooters become more accurate, and I'm sure they have their place in shooting sports, but not on a carry gun your betting your life on! JMHO!

A lot of the wonder nines are coming with slide tops carved out for a red dot these days. Trendy, yes. Everyone's cup of tea? YMMV. As design and standards progress, maybe in ten years perhaps it will be unthinkable to not have a red dot on a pistol. But now, it's just breaking new ground in the hand gun market. Maybe in a year everyone will grow tired of the concept and extra expense.

"I cannot trust anything with a battery and glass."
This is the corollary to
"If it has boobs or wheels it will give you problems."

I am well aware of the advantages of optics over irons (far be it from me to disagree with Jerry Miculek), but after trying optics on somebody else's gun I find them more difficult to pick up quickly. I got my 1st serious sidearm in 1963 and it had irons (obviously). After 58 years of shooting pistols with irons I don't care to spend the time and $ it would take to learn to use optics and then put them on any guns that may or may not have survived my ocean going kayak capsizing over the Challenger Deep.

I'm used to looking at the target and then bringing the sights to the target so irons work for me. I've tried red dots and I look at the dot and then have to find the target.

Edited to add: part of my issue is I am far sighted and don't wear glasses to correct it. My eyes naturally focus at distance so I have to force focus (at least that is what it feels like) to see the dot clearly.

Last Edited:
My experience with the Deltapoint Pro on Mrs308's CZP09 is the red dot sight is not immediately within my sight picture as are irons, but after practicing I can bring it into view somewhat consistently, but not so well that I would trust my life to it in a pinch. My$0.02

Beyond 20' at target range, the red dots work well for my eyes. Grip versions such as Crimson Trace are a worthless distraction despite my efforts to learn/adapt to them.

I prefer the simplicity and reliability of irons on a carry piece. As others mentioned, red dots can get dirty or break and therefore introduce another failure point. I also have pretty bad astigmatism, so if my glasses get knocked off or something a red dot turns into a big squiggly mess for me. I can still use irons in that scenario.

I have used three different Glocks with Delta Point Pro's, and actually got pretty good with them a few years ago but went back to Novak white outlined night sights. For quick in close work you might not even use sights but if at distance, hopefully you're backpedaling to cover and a rifle anyway.

Red dots are great for hunting and putting very small groups on paper but I'm a big fan of the KISS philosophy for handgun self defense. Whatever you go with train, train, train ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top