JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
hey guys. I'm building an AR pistol and I'm going with flip up sights instead of an optic since it'll be a short range weapon and don't want to spend the money on a scope. So my question is about the difference between the flip up sights out there. I've seen super cheap eBay sights for 30-40 bucks, polymer Magpul sights and then 200+ Troy industry sights. I've never used or have any experience with iron sights so I'm curious what the advantage is to the more expensive ones, if any. Also what should i look for in a sight and what are some common problems with lower quality sights.

Thanks in advance

hey guys. I'm building an AR pistol and I'm going with flip up sights instead of an optic since it'll be a short range weapon and don't want to spend the money on a scope. So my question is about the difference between the flip up sights out there. I've seen super cheap eBay sights for 30-40 bucks, polymer Magpul sights and then 200+ Troy industry sights. I've never used or have any experience with iron sights so I'm curious what the advantage is to the more expensive ones, if any. Also what should i look for in a sight and what are some common problems with lower quality sights.

Thanks in advance

Troy or MI (Midwest Industries) sights made from metal.

Although there's nothing inherently wrong with using folding iron-sights as your primary sighting system (ie because of storage constraints) consider using fixed iron sights for faster deployment of the weapon since it seems you plan to use them as the primary sighting means.

Folding sights are commonly referred to as BUIS (Back Up Iron Sights) for the myriad of optical systems out there.

Here's a couple of my "old school" AR pistols... durable and fast!

D6B29844-210E-477B-8797-D7DA154B10C0.jpeg

Hope that helps! ;)

I have owned a handful of various brands.

Usually cost infers quality and materials used.

That doesn't necessarily mean that inexpensive options are not good.

I am thoroughly surprised with the quality of UTG Pro products. Definitely Chinese, I'd refer them to China-plus quality.

I'll also agree with stomper. Go fixed sights if you don't plan on adding an optic.

7724AD36-AB28-460B-8CFB-F4277064B250.jpeg

I have UTG sets on a couple of my PCC's. They were so cheap that when I bought the first set it was only as a test, to see if I wanted BUIS on one rifle. They (for the price) were damn well made. Liked them so much I bought a couple more sets to play with. Nice for when I take a Dot sight off and want opens to play with. Now of course would not take them into battle. So if you are not sure you want them buy a cheap set to play with. Then if you decide you like them and feel it's worth getting a set made better, go for it.

Buy a set of used Magpul sights cheap, and see if you like them.

As mentioned earlier, fixed sights are probably your best option. I had the set on my bull pup toy, they were excellent. EasterPig.jpg

If you're not gonna put optics on it, I'd go with Daniel defense fixed irons or similar.

I have the midwest industries flip up sights. But with an hk style front (Rounded front vs y shape) they are fantastic.

I also agree with fixed sights if your primary system is irons, I have one of my ARs setup with DD fixed sights, and all mine with red dots have flip up backups. I tried using my red dot with fixed sights on, and find it distracting. Instead of putting the dot on target and squeezing, my brain tends to hesitate and try to line everything up. I have used the cheap Ebay stuff, and they work OK, but if your life depends on it, I believe in buy once, cry once for quality parts.

I also agree with fixed sights if your primary system is irons, I have one of my ARs setup with DD fixed sights, and all mine with red dots have flip up backups. I tried using my red dot with fixed sights on, and find it distracting. Instead of putting the dot on target and squeezing, my brain tends to hesitate and try to line everything up. I have used the cheap Ebay stuff, and they work OK, but if your life depends on it, I believe in buy once, cry once for quality parts.

Did you try a 1/3 co-witness mount?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top