Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Iron sights and Cataracts

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Ownerus, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Ownerus

Ownerus South Clackamas Co. Active Member

As I slowly turn into an old buzzard (or not so slowly?) I'm running into the normal falling-apart-with-age issues that affect my activities. The latest is a cataract in my right eye causing deterioration in the focus. I'm right handed and right eyed and I'm fond of iron sights. I've started the process of catataract surgery to fix it and have a question to which someone here might know the answer. I've already been through this with my left eye so I know the drill as to the overall process. When I had my left eye done, I asked for the new lens to have a focal length that allowed uncorrected vision within arms length so I can read and do machinist/drafting type work without HAVING to have glasses. This has worked out well and I still wear glasses (as I have for years) for distance vision. I have the option with the right eye of getting 20/20 distance vision (which would be new and different for me). My question is will that work for iron rifle sights or should I opt to de-tune this eye just a bit so I can see iron sights in the event I've misplaced my glasses? I don't mind wearing glasses and do for safety reasons but I don't want to be helpless without them. Thoughts/suggestions/experience on the best compromise?

2. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

No experience with cataracts but have to use my glasses when shooting iron sites past 100 yards.

I LOVE my scout 4x fixed power scope as it adds enough to help sharpen things up without loosing my peripheral vision like a normal scope. Mounted on a hunting rifle but I've considered setting up other rifles that way.

Best of luck - wearing out sucks;)

3. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I have moved to peep sights if I don't want to scope something,like my lever guns.
    Basically takes the rear sight out of the focal plane and you put your front, *** fiber optic***:D sight where it needs to be

4. Pops1911

Pops1911 Cinebar/Issaquah Well-Known Member

Been there done that with both eyes. Cataracts suck to be sure. Like you are contemplating, I have my "reading" eye on the left. My 20/20 eye is the right one. I am right handed and now [by training] am left eye dominant for pistols. Its the front sight thing. The right eye works well out to 300 yds with iron sights. Actually I prefer them to optics on all my long guns. As post surgery time has passed I still have had to add reading glasses for normal reading and computer work. I am sure your eye doc will work with you as mine did when I told her what I wanted to achieve vision-wise. Best wishes.

5. ChiefStealth

ChiefStealth Graham, Wa. Well-Known Member

Not for cataracts, but for quickly ageing eyes, I have been using several different "add-on" glasses for a couple of years now. My primary lenses are good for beyond about 6ft. Then, for different distances, less than 6 ft. I add dollar-store reading glasses over top of my primary glasses. The different lenses give me good focus at different distances. I have a pair for pistol shooting where my focus is at about 2 1/2 to 3 ft. I have another pair to focus at a bit farther, for the lever gun, or other open sights. My regular bi-focul is good to about 1ft. I have more lenses for close up work. Looks a little dorky, but it works fine. Effective and cheap.

6. Pops1911

One of the things I consider in all this is WHERE will my corrective lenses be in a SHTF situation. Most likely they will be where they always seem to be --- somewhere else and not on my person. LOL [warning feeble humor alert] Should I need to use my weapon and I don't have my glasses what do I do? Ask the BG to wait while I find my glasses so I can see my POA more clearly? Not a great plan. That is why I also practice defensive shooting with my unaided near sight. I think of it as aimed point shooting. I may not be able to cover all my shots with a quarter at 7 yards but they all end up in a paper plate sized area - center of mass. Like I said before I am 20/20 at distance. Once I gave up my "pride" at my shooting prowess - yeah, cover all my hits with a dime using a 2.5" .380 snubby at 100 yards in a strong cross wind. LOL It works for me. Thanks for allowing me to attempt humor before my 3rd cup o' joe this morning.

7. edslhead

edslhead Vanc Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have both eyes done for distance. I hadn't thought about the sights being a bit fuzzy but i guess they are. I can still hit the paper every once in a while:D. I would get whatever lens would work best in your everyday life.

8. Ownerus

Well, a couple of months past the surgery and all is well. 20/20 in my right eye (for the first time in my life!) and my left, as I mentioned in the original post, was de-tuned to reading distance. I haven't had a chance to get to the range but iron rifle sights are clear. The rear aperture is fuzzy (as is unavoidable in reality) but the front is sharp. On my flintlock, where the rear is a ways down the barrel, it's sharp too. Pistol sight are just a touch fuzzy unless I switch to my left eye but good enough for general use. I'm awaiting new bi-focals so both eyes can work together but in the mean time, I get along fine without. From reading to distance I can get along without glasses if need be. I'm pretty happy with the results!

Pops1911, MTpockets, jbett98 and 2 others like this.
  9. Pops1911

Congratulations Ownerus. Sounds like you are now good to go with your new lenses. Don't forget that shooting a pistol right handed using your left eye is very doable. Just give yourself a little training. For me now I must concentrate to use my right eye with a pistol if I choose. Left eye/right hand is my new normal for pistol shooting. Best wishes to you.

10. Lance Jacobs

Lance Jacobs South Willamette Valley Oregon Well-Known Member

If you are talking about rifle shooting, the very best solution is to mount a quality scope.

A scope will not only make focusing easy, but can also help with the reduced amount of light that your eye is getting due to the cataract.

11. Ownerus

All true except I won't be mounting a scope on my original Trapdoor Springfield or my flintlock. I like original military rifles so mounting scopes isn't a good option. And after the surgery, the cataract and attendant cloudiness is GONE! (and there was much rejoicing!)

Flopsweat likes this.
  12. Roger65

Roger65 Portland Active Member

I would opt for 20/20 distance. I had both eyes done, and my distance eye is good from about 2 ft to infinity. I can still use that eye well enough to see iron sights.

But three other family members also had it done, and it does seem to vary between individuals

13. revjen45

revjen45 Snohomish County Well-Known Member

I just had my left eye overhauled, rt eye next week. I opted for long distance in both eyes - still using a contact lens on the rt. for now. It is impossible to focus on the target, the ft sight, and the rear sight simultaneously in any case. $ store readers work fine for up close. Suggestion - put OPTX stick-ons on your shooting glasses.
    Yesterday I dropped a vole with my HW77K with patridge style sights and no compensation for close up focus. It seems to me that if you are seeing the ft sight clearly you can shoot just fine.

Flopsweat likes this.