JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Let's see how many nerds like guns too. A few questions for all you nerds or iPhone users. My wife is in school and so I'm forcing myself to go back to "school" too and learning all I can about iPhone app development and programming. I'm just in the beginning stages of learning the programming languages needed to do so, but want to start making some simple apps and see how the turn out and then move on to more complex ones if I find myself able to do so.

What are some of the apps that you would like to see for the iPhone?

They could be gun related, hunting related or completely "off topic" which is okay because we are just around the campfire talking about iPhones. :D

I would like to have a app that I can monitor all the movement inside my house while am not at home. I am able hook up a few sensor around the house and link them to a computer. If any of those sensor trip it will warn me by text or calling my iphone :) My wish list :)

I would like to have a app that I can monitor all the movement inside my house while am not at home. I am able hook up a few sensor around the house and link them to a computer. If any of those sensor trip it will warn me by text or calling my iphone :) My wish list :)

That probably is very doable through X10 modules linked to a computer, but much more complex than what I'm going to start with. I like it though because you could also combine turning lights off and on in the house as well as security cams.

hmmm

That would be a pretty cool idea, maybe the same for the car too. They have car alarms that to it, but an app would be sweet as well. If it worked I would be willing to pay for something like that.

What I want requires a hardware interface, though with 3.0 they've added the API to connect via hardware.

Anyways - so my GPS (Garmin Colorado series) has a geocaching "feature" where you can download the description, hints, recent log data, etc instead of just the lat/lon. Pretty cool.

Well, the iPhone also has a pretty good Geocaching app -- in fact, I have found about 10 caches with only the geocaching app and not my Garmin. But it sucks the battery like you would not believe... so what would be cool is a cable from the iPhone to the Garmin USB port and then an app that lets you download geocaches from your phone and push them to the Garmin...

I would love to see a gun model encyclopedia. Maybe even one with image recognition via the built in camera. Take a pic of the gun and it pulls up the info.

Great idea (image recognition) but it would take too much processing power for the phone alone. The application could be made to upload the pic to a server and do the crunching from there and send back the results.

Great idea (image recognition) but it would take too much processing power for the phone alone. The application could be made to upload the pic to a server and do the crunching from there and send back the results.

Yeah that is how "SnapTell" works but it has OCR (optical character recognition). The problem with a gun image recognition program would be the amount of things someone can do to one gun to make it look different. Take the AR 15 platform as an example. My 16" m4 upper is going to be much different looking than the next guys. Though it would be cool for sure, but probably still a bit outside my skills for now.

Good ideas though keep them coming.

Ballistic computer software for long range shots maybe?

Too bad you can't just plug in a laser range finder into your iphone and have it make all the adjustments needed using your GPS positioning.

What about downloadable weapon software? Let's say you have an M4. Just select the weapon in the app and it shows all statistics and a detailed weapon parts break down. Don't forget a trouble shooting section for FTF/FTE and what not.

Ballistic computer software for long range shots maybe?

This has been done. In fact from my understanding the guys from Knights Armament had a hand in developing it. Go to iTunes and under the apps do a search for "MOA".

A cool app that I think would be easy to do (maybe once you get the language down) and sell well for you is an App for GunBroker.com. Yea I know go to Safari browser blah, blah, blah... just like the banks that have Apps just for their members, do one of for Gun Broker. I am sure they may even help/assist you in some ways, but an app where I can post pics to my account straight from my iphone and check on my auctions, either buying or selling, would awesome.

My 2/100 of a dollar.

SF-

I'd like an app that would pull up reloading data for different components used. Something that you could just plug in what caliber, case, bullet weight, type of powder, ect. and it would cross reference the different manufactures and give you a min and max charge weight and other info for the load. I think it would be handy, rather than sifting through all the bookmarks in several manuals. Maybe it could have a sub app where you could record the performance of different loads when at the range. I do find myself taking my Ipod to the loading bench to pull up manufacture info with safari. I'd just like an app that would correlate all the various info.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top