JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We need to drag this out as long as possible as these S.O.B.s are getting ready to hit the streets as soon as they can and will continue training more people to collect the 88,000 needed signatures to get this on the ballot in the meantime. They are aware that it will likely be late June before they can start collecting them so they are planning and training in order to get them all in a very short period of time.

Ceasefire Oregon
May 1 at 9:23pm ·

Amazing Turnout Last Night for IP 43 Signature Gatherer Training

Thank you to the one hundred and ten people who turned out last night at Augustana Lutheran Church in Portland to learn how to gather signatures for IP 43! And our thanks to all of you who wanted to be there be could not. Don't worry - we will be holding more trainings in other areas of the state and again in Portland.

I learned a lot and was so happy to see many beloved friends and activists who have been on the front lines of gun violence prevention for many years. It was great to see Liz, Hope, Sherry, Red, Joanne, Paul, "Docta" Lisa, David, Penelope, Ann, Marge, Lynette, Mark, Tamrah, Marilyn, Joe, Janie, Michael, and so many others who were there to lend their powerful support! Thank you! Nancie, JoAnn, Beth, Melissa - you were missed but we will see you all another time!

Most of you know that the Attorney General's office has issued the draft ballot title. The IP 43 committee is making comments. (Comments on the draft language are accepted until May 8.) After that, we will receive the official ballot title and will move forward soon with challenges at the Oregon Supreme Court.

We are still hoping to be able to begin signature gathering in the last part of June. But signatures are due July 6 so we need to be organized and trained!

Banning the future sale and transfer of assault weapons and high-capacity magazines is one of the best things we can do to remove these weapons of war from our communities and to stop mass shootings.

It's time our country put the lives of Americans ahead of the profits reaped by the gun lobby from these obscene weapons of war. Thanks for making this happen!

Best wishes,

Penny

P.S. Read more about IP 43 here: The Campaign to Stop the Sale and Transfer of Assault Rifles – Ceasefire Oregon and sign up to volunteer here: Volunteer

Ceasefire Oregon

Last Edited:
D18E1713-5EC3-4A8F-B2F7-233DDA3BA8BC.jpeg

just glad im in a red county.

All I saw was obsene weapons of war... Did we get nukes and nobody told me?

Then I realized they were talking about my high powered squirrel gun and i got all mopey.

Hey man if the man can have a bunker buster I should at least be able to have a cannon, I mean grenade, scratch that a high velocity pea shooter. I should at least be able to have a high velocity pea shooter from the 1960s... I mean its older the I am an antiques are non threatening right?

Apparently peas are weapons of war now, crap my friend in California is making fun of us because it includes rimfire.

Rimfire.

How am I gonna splain to the California guy that we really are still better up here when rimfire is on the chopping block. I thought we were better then this but apparently some guys went full tilt brain dead.

We need to drag this out as long as possible as these S.O.B.s are getting ready to hit the streets as soon as they can and will continue training more people to collect the 88,000 needed signatures to get this on the ballot in the meantime. They are aware that it will likely be late June before they can start collecting them so they are planning and training in order to get them all in a very short period of time.

Ceasefire Oregon
May 1 at 9:23pm ·

Amazing Turnout Last Night for IP 43 Signature Gatherer Training

Thank you to the one hundred and ten people who turned out last night at Augustana Lutheran Church in Portland to learn how to gather signatures for IP 43! And our thanks to all of you who wanted to be there be could not. Don't worry - we will be holding more trainings in other areas of the state and again in Portland.

I learned a lot and was so happy to see many beloved friends and activists who have been on the front lines of gun violence prevention for many years. It was great to see Liz, Hope, Sherry, Red, Joanne, Paul, "Docta" Lisa, David, Penelope, Ann, Marge, Lynette, Mark, Tamrah, Marilyn, Joe, Janie, Michael, and so many others who were there to lend their powerful support! Thank you! Nancie, JoAnn, Beth, Melissa - you were missed but we will see you all another time!

Most of you know that the Attorney General's office has issued the draft ballot title. The IP 43 committee is making comments. (Comments on the draft language are accepted until May 8.) After that, we will receive the official ballot title and will move forward soon with challenges at the Oregon Supreme Court.

We are still hoping to be able to begin signature gathering in the last part of June. But signatures are due July 6 so we need to be organized and trained!

Banning the future sale and transfer of assault weapons and high-capacity magazines is one of the best things we can do to remove these weapons of war from our communities and to stop mass shootings.

It's time our country put the lives of Americans ahead of the profits reaped by the gun lobby from these obscene weapons of war. Thanks for making this happen!

Best wishes,

Penny

P.S. Read more about IP 43 here: The Campaign to Stop the Sale and Transfer of Assault Rifles – Ceasefire Oregon and sign up to volunteer here: Volunteer

Ceasefire Oregon

the title is miss leading and minimizes the bill big time. Are they going to go gather signatures in eastern Oregon ?
more than likely on the compasses and get a bunch of spoon feed weasels to back there bull.

Do they even have a CLUE what that bill entails??

I really doubt it.

If you go to the pages I have provided links for you will see that these people know exactly what they are doing. Don't underestimate them. I don't think they will get many in the red counties but can imagine they will be all over the blue ones. These people are sneaky and underhanded and will do almost anything to push their agenda. BTW, Boulder CO just passed a city ordinance with a law very similar to IP-43. Having said that, Trump (NRA TV) was just talking about how we need SCOTUS to make some ruling to protect our rights. Let's hope they will do so very soon as they have refused to review anything new since Justice Scalia died.

Sounds like signing up for their 'training' might be worthwhile. If anything, to learn about the ballot process in general. I feel like the recall efforts a few years ago would have been more successful if we had more upfront training and organization, and this kind of education can help in the future.

Also to learn what the do's and don'ts are of collecting signatures could be very handy. Especially the don'ts (as in mess ups that get ballots invalidated). And it will probably cost them a few cookies and training material to boot!

Hope some of this can be of some use to us.

Oregon Secretary of State: Circulator Training

Each petition circulator must:

• Personally witness all signatures collected, and should not collect additional signatures on the petition sheet once the circulator certification has been signed and dated.
  • Complete the circulator certification by signing their legal signature, with a minimum of a first name initial and full last name.
  • Provide the date when the certification was signed.
If additional signatures are gathered after the circulator certification has been signed and dated, the circulator must re-sign and re-date the certification.

It is against the law for circulators to:

• Circulate a petition containing a false signature.
  • Make false statements to anyone who signs the petition or requests information about it.
  • Try to obtain the signature of a person who is not qualified to sign the petition.
  • Offer money or anything of value to another person to sign or not sign the petition.
  • Sell or offer to sell signature sheets.
  • Write, alter, correct, clarify or obscure any information about a signer unless the signer initials after the change is made.
    • A circulator may assist a disabled signer who requests assistance completing their printed name, address and date signed.
  • For initiative, referendum and candidate nominating petitions, accept compensation to circulate a petition that is based on the number of signatures obtained.
Violations of the circulator requirements may result in conviction of a felony, with a fine of up to $125,000 and/or prison for up to five years, in accordance with ORS 260.715.

Article IV, Oregon Constitution - Ballotpedia

Chapter 250

Laws governing the initiative process in Oregon - Ballotpedia

Restrictions on circulators
Circulator requirements
See also: Petition circulator
In Oregon circulators are permitted to sign the petition that they are circulating.[7] Each initiative petition contains a mandatory circulator affidavit. Circulators are not required to sign these affidavits before a public notary, but must swear to and sign a statement, under the penalty of law, that they personally witnessed every act of signing the petition. Paid circulators must complete training and be registered with the secretary of state, and all circulators must sign certification before filing.[8] Once circulation is completed, the petition are filed with the secretary of state. Petitions of paid circulators must be filed monthly.[9]Chief petitioners must ensure that criminal background checks have been performed on paid circulators.[10]

See law: Oregon Administrative Rule - 165-014-0270, <broken link removed> , <broken link removed> and Senate Bill 148

-----

Pay-per-signature
See also: Pay-per-signature
Oregon bans paying petition circulators by the signature. This ban was challenged but upheld in Prete v. Bradbury. In addition, paid signature gatherers are required to register with the state and carry "evidence of registration" with them as they gather. By law, this evidence must include a photo of the circulator and his or her registration number. As part of this registration, petition circulators must also complete a training course. Oregon law also requires any organization or person that pays persons to gather signatures to register with the state.

See law: Oregon Constitution, Article IV, Section 1b and Prete v. Bradbury

-----
Out-of-state circulators
See also: Residency requirements for petition circulators
Oregon does not require petition circulators to reside in the state.

See law: Oregon Constitution, Article IV, Section 1 and <broken link removed>

------

Badge requirements
See also: Badge requirements
Oregon requires that paid petition circulators be identified by their petition form. The color of petition sheets circulated by paid gatherers must be different from the color of those circulated by volunteers. If proponents pay anyone to collect signatures, all petitions forms must prominently feature, in bold type, the words: "Some Circulators For This Petition Are Being Paid." In addition, the sheets must explain the color scheme that differentiates the petition sheets of volunteer and paid circulators.

See law: <broken link removed>

------
Electronic signatures
See also: Electronic petition signatures
Since electronic signatures are an emerging technology, the constitutionality of bans on e-signatures and the legality of e-signatures in states without bans is largely untested. Oregon law assumes that petitions will be printed on paper. For example, it grants the secretary of state the authority to designate the quality of the paper to be used.

See law: <broken link removed>

------
Signature verification
See also: Signature certification
In Oregon, signatures are verified using a random sample method. Under certain circumstances, petitioners can continue to collect signatures during the verification process. In order to be filed, the first round of raw signature must contain at least the required number of valid signatures. If this round is submitted at least 165 days before an election and does not contain enough valid signatures, additional signatures can be submitted prior to the final deadline. The 1,000 preliminary signatures do count toward the final total.[6]

DocumentIcon.jpg See law: Oregon Constitution, Article IV, Section 1 ; <broken link removed> and Oregon Administrative Rules, Chapter 165, Division 14, Section 0030

Last edited by a moderator:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top