JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In a move sure to leave gun safety advocates scratching their heads, Iowa is issuing gun permits to the blind.
The permits allow legally <broken link removed> and carry them in public. Per state law, any attempt to deny an Iowan these rights based on physical ability would be illegal, reports the Des Moines Register.
"When you shoot a gun, you take it out and point and shoot, and <broken link removed>," said Michael Barber, a blind man interviewed by The Register at a gun store in Iowa last month.
The issue has also vexed local sheriffs -- the authorities tasked with reviewing applications -- with some in full support of the measure, and others against.
Explains Delaware County Sheriff John LeClere, "<broken link removed>, then I would say you probably shouldn't be shooting something.”
Counters Cedar County Sheriff Warren Wethington, <broken link removed>, “If sheriffs spent more time trying to keep guns out of criminals’ hands and not people with disabilities, their time would be more productive.”
Iowans have always been able to carry a firearm in private, but a new law passed in 2011 extends that right to the public sphere while placing no limits on physical ability.
Federal law, in tandem with the <broken link removed> , also does nothing to limit the legally blind from owning a gun, leaving that issue for states to sort out individually. Kansas, for instance, altered their laws in 2010 to prohibit issuing concealed carry permits to anyone "suffering a physical infirmity which prevents the safe handling of a weapon."
In January of this year, shortly after the Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting, blind singer Stevie Wonder offered his thoughts on gun control in an interview with CNN's Piers Morgan. “Imagine me with a gun," he said. "It’s just crazy.”
READ more of this story at The Des Moines Register.

Hey, so long as they haven't done anything to lose said rights I support it.
I haven't seen any evidence that they cant defend themselves in close quarters and better or worse than an able bodied person.

A blind person may still have relatives and friends who can use the weapon if needed. A blind person may still show the gun to intimidate the attacker, and may still shoot in the air as a last resort option.

A blind person may still be a gun collector.

A blind person has the right to commit suicide, just like any other person who owns their life.

In short, I do not consider this an issue, unless someone can point me to a history of gun-related crimes committed by blind people.

"When you shoot a gun, you take it out and point and shoot, and I don't necessarily think eyesight is necessary," said Michael Barber, a blind man interviewed by The Register at a gun store in Iowa last month.

Carry of a firearm should not require a license. So the discussion is mostly irrelevant.

But Mr. Barber is clearly naïve about his liability when using a firearm for self-defense. He cannot just "take it out and point and shoot".

I listened to the interview with this sheriff and he claimed the blind person can draw and fire the gun at close range, like when the assailant is grappling with you. Great way to have that gun used against the owner.

Having the gun used against them is standard bullbubblegum from the anti-gun crowd. If the assailant is close enough to be grappling with the blind person their life is already in jeopardy; a handgun on the person at least gives them a chance.

I think back in the day, Jim Bowie and others would tie their wrists together, turn the lights off and see who could best use the one knife in the room.
That didn't really sound right but in some cases, my money'd be on the blind man.

In a move sure to leave gun safety advocates scratching their heads, Iowa is issuing gun permits to the blind.
The permits allow legally <broken link removed> and carry them in public. Per state law, any attempt to deny an Iowan these rights based on physical ability would be illegal, reports the Des Moines Register.
"When you shoot a gun, you take it out and point and shoot, and <broken link removed>," said Michael Barber, a blind man interviewed by The Register at a gun store in Iowa last month.
The issue has also vexed local sheriffs -- the authorities tasked with reviewing applications -- with some in full support of the measure, and others against.
Explains Delaware County Sheriff John LeClere, "<broken link removed>, then I would say you probably shouldn't be shooting something."
Counters Cedar County Sheriff Warren Wethington, <broken link removed>, "If sheriffs spent more time trying to keep guns out of criminals' hands and not people with disabilities, their time would be more productive."
Iowans have always been able to carry a firearm in private, but a new law passed in 2011 extends that right to the public sphere while placing no limits on physical ability.
Federal law, in tandem with the <broken link removed> , also does nothing to limit the legally blind from owning a gun, leaving that issue for states to sort out individually. Kansas, for instance, altered their laws in 2010 to prohibit issuing concealed carry permits to anyone "suffering a physical infirmity which prevents the safe handling of a weapon."
In January of this year, shortly after the Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting, blind singer Stevie Wonder offered his thoughts on gun control in an interview with CNN's Piers Morgan. "Imagine me with a gun," he said. "It's just crazy."
READ more of this story at The Des Moines Register.

I've seen hillbillies and old farts shoot at the range- not much difference

Listened to Canadian interview with an Iowa sheriff whose daughter was legally blind and he made the point that a permit holder who is not blind is still permitted to carry/protect themselves in a dark room or at night. Because a person is legally blind does not mean they stupid or irresponsible. At close quarters in the dark they probably have sharper senses than those who are not blind. Having a weapon taken from you and used against you is a very rare occurrence that the gun grabbers like to quote, don't help them spread BS.

Some martial arts it really doesn't matter a whole lot if it's dark or if one is blind.. knock on wood. I wouldn't want to touch an Aikido master, especially when after being put to the ground it was "finished" with a blade or bullet. and that's the genesis/reason of that focus.. put on ground/control and end

I will offer the suggestion, that in a complete black out, or even mostly "real" dark, a blind person with a gun may be at the advantage, to a seeing capable shooter!

they know Direction by sound much better than seeing capable folks!!!

I say provide them their safety, and they may shoot better, than the last shootings by NYPD officers, aye what????

philip,
in the BoonDocks, I would provide weapons for defense to blind folks, if the targets were Blue Helmets, just point towards their noise!!!!

Constitution-shmostitution... we must protect our children from those blind gun nuts!

They are extremely dangerous because they cannot read "Gun Free Zone" awe-inducing, life-saving, crime-defeating posters.

So, if they don't know what is behind their target so if they miss the bad guy, doesn't that make it hard to be safe? I can understand wanting to be able to defend oneself. But I also wonder how they would know that shooting wouldn't take out more innocents than bad guys? Just something to ponder as the guy's statement doesn't even start to take that into account.

Anyone remember the western El Dorado with John Wayne, Robert Mitchem & James Caan?

Caan bought a gun that had belonged to a guy who couldn't see very well. "He just shoots his scattergun where he hears someone. The piano player was playing too loud for him to hear so he shot the piano player, and they hung him."

Sounds a bit like vice president Gaff-O-Matic's advice "just fire a shotgun through the door"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top