JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's the kind of a comment made by us ex-military types as a comment enlarger/permitted hyperbole.

In the interests of trying not to offend any dog-lovers here, I won't use it again - promise.

I can, however, assure you that NO dogs were financially incapacitated by the use of my grammatical hyperbole.

Military speech has much content that is nigh-on incomprehensible to the average English speaker in Civvy Street. There is one phrase, however, that has made the transition from the Army into the civilian milieu - it is, of course the Army name for a fried egg sandwich - the famous 'egg banjo'.

It has nothing to do with the shape of the comestible, but instead describes the action of the eater who is unlucky enough to have squirted the soft yolk down his front and is trying, unsuccessfully, to brush it off whilst still holding on to it with one hand - try it and see....
Using that obtuse method of a food-naming convention, I don't EVEN want to know how y'all came up with, "spotted dick"!

Using that obtuse method of a food-naming convention, I don't EVEN want to know how y'all came up with, "spotted dick"!
Spotted Dick is a steamed suet pudding containing dried fruit, and is thought to have originated in the middle of the 19th Century. The "spotted" part of the name refers to the currants, which resemble spots, and "Dick" is believed to derive from the word dough.

Now we've cleared that up, take a look at 'star-gazey pie'.

I saw a couple of choices of smokeless in a store the other day. Sounds strange, but was pleased to see most of it under $40. Absurd....
Fortunately I'm sitting on several pounds of my "go-tos".

It almost goes without saying, in a country that suffered over thirty-five years of home-grown terrorism and wholesale murder by various terrorist groups, that the making of explosive substances at home is illegal - like 25 years jailtime illegal.

However, as yet it is not illegal to READ about the process, so I can heartily recommend Brett Gibbons' latest book about home-brewing of BP - fascinating stuff! I recommend it to anybody with ambitions to be parted from their facial hair on a regular basis.

Seriously, though, it's nothing less than the recent history of BP manufacture from a commercial POV, as well as the keen and motivated amateur.

The book is called 'Like fire and powder', and it comes with a pair of stick-on eyebrows*.

*Not really.

I'll never forget the night, (in my early teens) when I decided to test some of my, "Home Brew BP". I had about a cup full in an open can on my desk and I decided to light a small amount a couple of feet away. :rolleyes:

You guessed it. :s0092: A spark went into the open can :eek: and for what seemed like forever, I had the prettiest orange fountain of flame I had ever seen. :s0001::s0001:

Luckily, when the smoke cleared, the only damage was a cup sized burn on the desk and a bunch of little pock marks on the ceiling. Needless to say, any further, "burn" tests were performed outside. :s0093:

Last Edited:
However, as yet it is not illegal to READ about the process, so I can heartily recommend Brett Gibbons' latest book about home-brewing of BP - fascinating stuff! I recommend it to anybody with ambitions to be parted from their facial hair on a regular basis.

Seriously, though, it's nothing less than the recent history of BP manufacture from a commercial POV, as well as the keen and motivated amateur.

The book is called 'Like fire and powder', and it comes with a pair of stick-on eyebrows*.

*Not really.
Spot on! His other books are pretty good too.

Spot on! His other books are pretty good too.
I have 'em all.

Sadly for me, Mr G lives in a beautiful period house in Gettysburg PA, and I'm therefore unable to avail myself of his many fine products due to shipping costs of a ridiculous level.

I would happily spend our granddaughter's inheritance on paper cartridges for my .577 and .451 cal rifles and his beautiful swaged bullets to fit in them.... sigh...................

The new owners of Goex (Estes) just announced last week that they are up and running making Goex and Olde Eynsford BP again! So I'd expect the Goex powders to return to shelves in the next couple months.
Need to keep checking the usual sources online to see if they list it, and it should hit store shelves soon after.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top