JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sort of a tangent on other threads (and the fact we're getting set to have wee ones active in 4—H); how should one go about introducing young people to the wonderful world of muzzleloaders? Tips, tricks, or pitfalls to avoid?

Thanks. :)

As much as I like flintlock rifles...a good percussion rifle would be where I would start.

Unfortunately I do not know if anyone makes a "youth sized" rifle.

I sure wish I was closer to you...I'd love to introduce you and you family to muzzle loaders...
Will think on your question a bit and answer more later.
Andy

If we ever open up again...taking the family to a black powder club's rendezvous is always fun and a good time.

As for a rifle ...
Maybe buy a T/C "Hawken Rifle" and another ( used ) stock...cut the used stock to fit...and swap it out when you or your wife wants to shoot ...or your kids grew into the issue stock ...
Just a random thought.
Andy

Start off loading them real light,depending on how big your kids are best to start them shooting off cross sticks,that develops their shooting skills in the beginning.My daughter started shooting at 5 years old in the Pee Wee matches using a full stock .54 caliber flintlock Hawken .She could handle it using cross sticks setting down. I think I loaded it at 50 grains but being a heavy rifle,it had zero recoil.I think a lot of parents make the mistake of using too heavy a load on little kids when you do not need to at all.She continued shooting until she got interested in boys and kinda gave it up but not before winning many matches and one rifle in Bend.

I like all those suggestions.
Maybe even a tripod.
Keep it simple.
Easy thin patch to reload
Make it fun. Andy loan him a coonskin hat. Make them shoot the first shot wearing it backwards.

We used to shoot a Mike Fink match,start at a close distance and shoot a Dixie cup off the head of a manikin.Keep backing up until there was only one shooter left and they won it.It was funny to watch the pucker factor at work when you put a wig and a face on the manikin and watched shooters squirm at shooting it.

Thanks all for the ideas; much appreciated. Random thoughts:

• My experience with muzzleloaders is limited; I've owned/shot a couple Hawken types (.50 and .54 caliber) over the years and a couple different cap'n'ball revolvers. And one of my brothers has one for the hunting season and I, vaguely, recall shooting said with him. My wife, to the best of knowledge, only has experience shooting cartridge arms, though it is possible I'm mistaken on this point.
  • Interesting on the smaller sized muzzleloaders. I was not aware of these models, but will have to be doing homework on them.
  • One of the issues we have found with firearms in general is just that; my wife, though strong, is a very diminutive person in stature. This goes more so, of course, for children.
  • I see 4—H has a muzzleloading component. This may be worth looking into for the lil' ones.
  • Indeed on Davy Crockett: King Of The Wild Frontier; an old favorite. (At least two of my brothers wore coonskin hats back in the day, partially, I believe, due to said picture.)
And there are likely other points I am forgetting. But thank you again, friends. :)

4-H does have muzzleloading, however it is limited due to the amount of interest and trained volunteers. Contact your county extension office to see if any local 4-H clubs offer black powder. If they do not, consider starting it yourself. The first step is too contact your local county 4-H office to get information.

Too bad you were not in the valley, ARPC has a muzzle loader group that meets monthly. The first time I took my daughter, almost every person let her shoot their rifles. The small calibers had very little recoil. Great group of people and they really enjoy teaching new people and juniors to it.

If one goes with a hand gun....
Three neat small scale revolvers are the Colt models are :
The 1849 model
The Colt "Pocket Navy" model
And the Colt "Pocket Police" model.

Cap and ball revolvers are fun....albeit messy to shoot and load , as well as time consuming to reload.
( Historically , by the way , I have never come across a 19th century reference to the now common practice of carrying a extra , pre-loaded cylinder to swap out )
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads