JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Can an Oregon resident buy from a Washington resident or does being out of state matter? Does smooth bore vs rifling make a difference?
Oregon to Washington or Washington to Oregon , you are good to go with out needing a BGC or FFL dealer as of yet...
It should make no difference if the the firearm is rifled or a smooth bore...

Unless you are asking about performance / usage...
Then you can shoot either shot or round ball out of a smooth bore , in a rifled arm a round ball or conical works best depending on the rifling...
As a very general rule :
A rifle with a fast twist like 1-20 , 1-25 ...is best for conical bullets
A rifle with a slow twist like 1-66 , 1-72 is best for round ball...
The common 1-48 twist is a "compromise twist" , that works well with either round ball or conical bullets...
Andy

Oregon to Washington or Washington to Oregon , you are good to go with out needing a BGC or FFL dealer as of yet...
It should make no difference if the the firearm is rifled or a smooth bore...

Unless you are asking about performance / usage...
Then you can shoot either shot or round ball out of a smooth bore , in a rifled arm a round ball or conical works best depending on the rifling...
As a very general rule :
A rifle with a fast twist like 1-20 , 1-25 ...is best for conical bullets
A rifle with a slow twist like 1-66 , 1-72 is best for round ball...
The common 1-48 twist is a "compromise twist" , that works well with either round ball or conical bullets...
Andy

I was talking legalities, but thanks for the bonus info. :D

Good job Longbeard,it is real important to try and introduce new shooters into the ranks.Its good you were using a real muzzle loader and not some zip gun.I think the real ones make more of an impression than the zip guns do.

Yes, I kind of scratch my head at the "muzzle loaders" based on say, the Remington 700 with a stainless action, synthetic
stock, telescopic sight, sabot with a ballistic tipped projectile , etc. At that point you've really missed the experience
of case hardened steel, wood stock, open sights and "powder-patch-ball" mantra.

Blessings,
Longbeard

Don't knock the modern stuff, they can be the "gateway drug". I for one, have an T/C Encore and my thoughts are to get a black powder barrel to see if I really want to go down this rabbit hole. I only have two more gun I "need", anything after that will be optics and guns that make me grin.

The difference between a traditional muzzleloader and a modern inline is very similar to comparing a compound bow to either a recurve bow or a longbow...
All launch a arrow...and that is about the extent of their similarities.

Just as a modern inline muzzleloading rifle is loaded via the muzzle to shoot its projectile , the same as a traditional muzzleloader ..but there the similarities end.

I prefer the traditional muzzleoader , its load of pure black powder and either lead round ball or lead shot...
I also do not feel hampered by its commonly viewed limits as either a shooting or hunting firearm.

Does a traditional muzzleloader have its quirks and "learning curve"... ?
Yes , just like any other firearm...

By using a traditional muzzleoader for hunting will you have limits as to what you can shoot and how far you can shoot..?
Again yes , just like any firearm...

Are traditional muzzleloaders for everyone and everyone's "cup of tea"...?
Nope...but then not everyone likes just how modern rifles look , handle and shoot...
And luckily as of now , at least we have a choice in what we like and get to shoot.

My biggest gripe is when folks disparage the traditional muzzleloader , just 'cause its old or uses "old tech"...
The flintlock rifle has been in continual use , either , as a state of the then current art firearm from the 1700's , or as a firearm of choice now into the 2000's....that's 300 odd years of continued* use....
Percussion guns have been with us since the late 1820's...that about 200 odd years of continued use**...
If they didn't work , I really don't think they would still be here , working...
Andy

* / **Note :
I am not saying that these systems were always in continued mainstream use ,
such as , say a military issued firearm for200 / 300 years...
But that they have been in continued use as a sporting and recreational firearm , since they were developed.

I'm waiting to take a trip north. If someone is going to show me how to use muzzleloaders, it's going to be @AndyinEverson...

Go straight to the experts!
While I would enjoy the visit with you MountainBear...And would be happy to help you in any way that I could in regards to muzzleloaders...I do not consider myself an expert of anything...
Andy

While I would enjoy the visit with you MountainBear...And would be happy to help you in any way that I could in regards to muzzleloaders...I do not consider myself an expert of anything...
Andy
I was out Saturday trying to regulate my sights and practice for the Barlow Trail and when three gentlemen
were done shooting their plastic pistols and a S&W N frame they came over and said: "Can we look at it?"
of course I let them look at it. Then one of them said: You know I have a kit black powder rifle that I haven't
use in years..."

On Sunday (after fixing my sight adjustment screw) when a group of a husband, wife & stepfather
were done shooting their plastic pistols (we were all done for the day) I walked over with the muzzle loader
and showed it to them. They all liked it and showed interest.

I think just by shooting at public ranges people get to see and feel muzzle loaders and express interest.
I feel like I added another 6 people to the movement. I feel like I'm spreading a gospel...

Blessings,
LongBeard

I was out Saturday trying to regulate my sights and practice for the Barlow Trail and when three gentlemen
were done shooting their plastic pistols and a S&W N frame they came over and said: "Can we look at it?"
of course I let them look at it. Then one of them said: You know I have a kit black powder rifle that I haven't
use in years..."

On Sunday (after fixing my sight adjustment screw) when a group of a husband, wife & stepfather
were done shooting their plastic pistols (we were all done for the day) I walked over with the muzzle loader
and showed it to them. They all liked it and showed interest.

I think just by shooting at public ranges people get to see and feel muzzle loaders and express interest.
I feel like I added another 6 people to the movement. I feel like I'm spreading a gospel...

Blessings,
LongBeard
And then when they shoot them they just gotta have one and the cycle begins again.Good job LB on sparking interest in them.Side note,not to high jack this thread but could you PM me on the Barlow Trail shoot?Thanks

So what you're saying is I've got it backwards, wouldn't be the first time.
Backwards,forwards,who knows.kinda like comparing a new Dodge Charger with a 1969 Stingray.The new one has all the bells and new whistles but does not affect you the way the Stingray does. The new one kinda leaves you a wanting feeling that the old one fills the soul completely!

Backwards,forwards,who knows.kinda like comparing a new Dodge Charger with a 1969 Stingray.The new one has all the bells and new whistles but does not affect you the way the Stingray does. The new one kinda leaves you a wanting feeling that the old one fills the soul completely!

Make it a new dodge charger and Model T for comparison purposes.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top