JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You could call him a solid citizen. Problem is THIS: I will assume he is NOT a cop with a badge. If something goes wrong during his weapon snatch and someone gets killed...they would hold HIM responsible. He would lose his guns, his right to own a gun...and would go to prison. Unless you are a cop, this behavior should be discouraged.

This is a case of a nice guy doing a good thing...for all the wrong reasons. If you want to be a cop, you should fill out the app, not bypass the technicalities and try to do the job anyway.
I disagree.

What is the probability that the AR thief would be dead if it was a cop who came up on him? The reason we all, left and right, see this guy as a hero is because he was courageous, bold, professional, and got the job done quickly and with the least amount of force necessary.

Honestly, this is what we all expect the cops to do as well in this scenario. Realistically, how many cops if placed in hero's shoes would have shot first?

So, nah, I'm glad a very well trained citizen with a cool head did what he did.

I disagree.

What is the probability that the AR thief would be dead if it was a cop who came up on him? The reason we all, left and right, see this guy as a hero is because he was courageous, bold, professional, and got the job done quickly and with the least amount of force necessary.

Honestly, this is what we all expect the cops to do as well in this scenario. Realistically, how many cops if placed in hero's shoes would have shot first?

So, nah, I'm glad a very well trained citizen with a cool head did what he did.
There were actually two AR thieves. I think that there is a reasonable possibility that either the thieves or officers would have been killed if it was a confrontation between the thieves and law enforcement officers.
He wasn't just a well trained citizen. He was an extremely well trained armed and experienced professional security operative that was being paid to protect a news/photo crew. As such, he could dress to be inconspicuous and knows how to be the gray man. See Urban Survival Tactic: How To Become A Gray Man | Survival Life This allowed him to approach without drawing attention to himself. Uniformed police do not have this advantage. They stand out so we can identify them in an emergency when we need their help. Unfortunately, this makes them a target for the bad guys. But we agree. He was a hero.

You could call him a solid citizen. Problem is THIS: I will assume he is NOT a cop with a badge. If something goes wrong during his weapon snatch and someone gets killed...they would hold HIM responsible. He would lose his guns, his right to own a gun...and would go to prison. Unless you are a cop, this behavior should be discouraged.

This is a case of a nice guy doing a good thing...for all the wrong reasons. If you want to be a cop, you should fill out the app, not bypass the technicalities and try to do the job anyway.
Ya, be a cop and watch them burn the cruiser you left your AR in when you fled the riots.....ya, do that.

Okay. Since the guy was a hired agent for a film crew to do security....then fine. I will admit that what he did was heroic.

I would still discourage people from going to these events armed, and NOT being a hired agent. That is called being a vigilante, and if you go too far with that it can give legit gun owners a bad rap.

I'm a US Army vet, although that was many years ago. My views on guns are a bit middle of the road. I believe in the 2A for sure. I also believe anyone who wants to own a weapon should be trained in its use, should not be able to buy one at a gun show without a background check, and that the Feds should make the rules, not fifty states all making their own separate rules. It causes confusion and discord more than anything else regarding ownership. Too many fingers in the pie, too many hands in the cookie jar. No one can agree on anything and it becomes a bureaucratic mess in the courts.

It was the Federal government who came up with the 2A. They should make all the rules for everyone. Easier to get changes that way as well.

Last Edited:
Okay. Since the guy was a hired agent for a film crew to do security....then fine. I will admit that what he did was heroic.

I would still discourage people from going to these events armed, and NOT being a hired agent. That is called being a vigilante, and if you go too far with that it can give legit gun owners a bad rap.

I'm a US Army vet, although that was many years ago. My views on guns are a bit middle of the road. I believe in the 2A for sure. I also believe anyone who wants to own a weapon should be trained in its use, should not be able to buy one at a gun show without a background check, and that the Feds should make the rules, not fifty states all making their own separate rules. It causes confusion and discord more than anything else regarding ownership. Too many fingers in the pie, too many hands in the cookie jar. No one can agree on anything and it becomes a bureaucratic mess in the courts.

It was the Federal government who came up with the 2A. They should make all the rules for everyone. Easier to get changes that way as well.
It depends on how you define event. If defined as a riot, I fully agree and would add that one should not go there if the first place. But a protest is different, as the recent protest in CDA demonstrated. Any wrongful use of firearms gives us a bad rap. I agree that those who own firearms should be trained, but requiring training to exercise a Constitutional right presents a sever threat to our freedom and liberty. With respect to the gun show exemption, consider that those of us in ID with enhanced carry permits are exempt from background checks. Idaho is not the only state where this happens. Whether the feds or states should make the rules is dependent on where you reside. Those of us in ID want to keep it at a state level so those in restrictive states have no say in our affairs. It is a mess in the courts because SCOTUS has declined to take 2A cases to expand Heller and McDonald. We cannot agree because what they want is completely opposite of what we want. Why would anyone want to make it easier to get changes, especially when the changes make firearms laws more restrictive?
Thank you for your military service.

It depends on how you define event. If defined as a riot, I fully agree and would add that one should not go there if the first place. But a protest is different, as the recent protest in CDA demonstrated. Any wrongful use of firearms gives us a bad rap. I agree that those who own firearms should be trained, but requiring training to exercise a Constitutional right presents a sever threat to our freedom and liberty. With respect to the gun show exemption, consider that those of us in ID with enhanced carry permits are exempt from background checks. Idaho is not the only state where this happens. Whether the feds or states should make the rules is dependent on where you reside. Those of us in ID want to keep it at a state level so those in restrictive states have no say in our affairs. It is a mess in the courts because SCOTUS has declined to take 2A cases to expand Heller and McDonald. We cannot agree because what they want is completely opposite of what we want. Why would anyone want to make it easier to get changes, especially when the changes make firearms laws more restrictive?
Thank you for your military service.

With regard to the enhanced carry permit - is that a database that gets checked at time of purchase or a card that you flash at time of purchase? I am really attracted to the idea of a concealed carry permit exempting one from a lot of the current red tape - but only if it is a database to be checked. Even though CCW holders are statistically the most law abiding citizens in the country, it would only take one committing a felony and then illegally using their permit to buy a gun to bring the whole house of cards down on us.

Getting back to topic...I agree that people should not be going to the protest looking for a fight. If you are going to protest, you should probably leave the weapon at home. If you're going to protect a business if riots start, then go stand around a business - don't counter protest, don't antagonize...you've gotta be the biggest man in the room. If the riot starts and you're a protester, gtfo, and if you're protecting a business, stay put and get on the line with the cops to establish clear communication with them. Too many people are trying to be multiple roles in this - pick what matters most to you and act accordingly.

Side note/question: Was the rifle that was stolen full auto or burst fire? I'm wondering if being in possession of a stolen machine gun constitutes a much stricter penalty under Federal law. I mean yes, clearly they weren't in the United States when this happened :rolleyes: but.... politicians do such a good job of making sure none of us regular citizens get to lay our hands on machine guns, I wonder how they'll respond to this one.

edit: If he gets away with it, I'm setting up a few autonomous zones at my home and local range. I can think of all kinds of reasons to protest!

I would have much more sympathy for the guy if he hadn't attended the protest ready-to-rock. That is someone who goes downtown LOOKING for trouble. He found it. He got lucky that time. Maybe the next time he won't.
[/QUOTE]

You must not have watched any interviews nor looked at the surrounding context of the situation? Your argument is based upon willful ignorance.
You would be better off learning more about the situation that occurred than trying to argue a point that is likely based upon a news headline.

Shouldn't try to be a cop unless you ARE a cop. Sets a bad precedent. It's called being a vigilante. When someone goes to a protest armed, when the protest is not about guns, this ALSO sets a bad precedent and is looking for trouble. This guy armed up because he has a hero complex going, and he was able to feed into that successfully.

You can call this guy a hero. I call him 'lucky'. What would we be saying right now if the perp had fought over the weapon, and it had discharged and killed some innocent bystander. Maybe some woman, or a kid. The conversation would be completely different. I would have much more sympathy for the guy if he hadn't attended the protest ready-to-rock. That is someone who goes downtown LOOKING for trouble. He found it. He got lucky that time. Maybe the next time he won't.

You must not have watched any interviews nor looked at the surrounding context of the situation? Your argument is based upon willful ignorance.
You would be better off learning more about the situation that occurred than trying to argue a point that is likely based upon a news headline.

With regard to the enhanced carry permit - is that a database that gets checked at time of purchase or a card that you flash at time of purchase? I am really attracted to the idea of a concealed carry permit exempting one from a lot of the current red tape - but only if it is a database to be checked. Even though CCW holders are statistically the most law abiding citizens in the country, it would only take one committing a felony and then illegally using their permit to buy a gun to bring the whole house of cards down on us.

Getting back to topic...I agree that people should not be going to the protest looking for a fight. If you are going to protest, you should probably leave the weapon at home. If you're going to protect a business if riots start, then go stand around a business - don't counter protest, don't antagonize...you've gotta be the biggest man in the room. If the riot starts and you're a protester, gtfo, and if you're protecting a business, stay put and get on the line with the cops to establish clear communication with them. Too many people are trying to be multiple roles in this - pick what matters most to you and act accordingly.
You just show the FFL your card. They make a copy of it. You still have to fill out the 4473 form. There is a list of states where this procedure is accepted. See Permanent Brady Permit Chart | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top