Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Interstate FFL transfers

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by SCARed, Jan 21, 2013.

1. SCARed

SCARed Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

So I know as a WA resident I can purchase long guns from an OR FFL without any issues.
    That being the case, I have a pre-order for a long gun that I'm wanting shipped to an OR FFL where I would pick it up, but the company doing the pre-order has said it needs to go to a FFL in the state I reside. It's coming from Cope's Dist. in Ohio.

Am I missing something, or are they just being overly cautious?

2. hermannr

hermannr Okanogan Highlands Well-Known Member

Are you saying they asked you, or was it just a statement? If it is a longgun, you can purchase in OR.

3. raindog

raindog Portland, OR Active Member

Four years ago I ordered a rifle made in Montana and had it delivered to an FFL in Vancouver, WA. I'm an Oregon resident and had no problems with this.

4. Suge206

Suge206 Seattle Active Member

You can ship handguns. My new colt defender will be here tomorrow at a local FFL coming in from NY.

5. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Of course you can. If not how would guns ever get out of the factory...................

6. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Could it be that they know WA has a tax on this type of transaction they do not want to be part of you not paying your taxes?

7. SCARed

I was told it needed to be shipped to a FFL in the state I reside.

Perhaps in Ohio you can only purchase a firearm in the state you reside, so they assume all states are the same. But since they are a pretty big distributer, you would think once it shipped from them to a FFL, ANY FFL, they wouldn't care anymore.

8. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

Probably just an abundance of caution on the part of the shipper. If you can't convince them, sounds like you will need to find another FFL...

9. fd15k

fd15k Tigard,OR Well-Known Member

Why not just have the Oregon FFL order it from Cope's ?

10. hermannr

hermannr Okanogan Highlands Well-Known Member

A handgun must be transfered to you in the state you reside in. A long gun can be transfered in any state you are present in, if that state allows such a tansfer.

The problem probably is that not all long guns are legal in all states, so to be safe, this FFL probably has a policy against it, or it is just a standard statement.

11. SCARed

Found the issue wasn't with Cope's, it was the FFL. Being relatively new, they didn't think they could do a transfer for anything to a non-resident.
    It was a friend of a friend that I was going to give some business to. While they've since been educated, I'm sticking to my normal FFL for the transfer.
    The wording in the original email from Cope's made it seem the issue was with them.