JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I know as a WA resident I can purchase long guns from an OR FFL without any issues.
That being the case, I have a pre-order for a long gun that I'm wanting shipped to an OR FFL where I would pick it up, but the company doing the pre-order has said it needs to go to a FFL in the state I reside. It's coming from Cope's Dist. in Ohio.

Am I missing something, or are they just being overly cautious?

So I know as a WA resident I can purchase long guns from an OR FFL without any issues.
That being the case, I have a pre-order for a long gun that I'm wanting shipped to an OR FFL where I would pick it up, but the company doing the pre-order has said it needs to go to a FFL in the state I reside. It's coming from Cope's Dist. in Ohio.

Are you saying they asked you, or was it just a statement? If it is a longgun, you can purchase in OR.

You can ship handguns. My new colt defender will be here tomorrow at a local FFL coming in from NY.

Could it be that they know WA has a tax on this type of transaction they do not want to be part of you not paying your taxes?

Are you saying they asked you, or was it just a statement? If it is a longgun, you can purchase in OR.

I was told it needed to be shipped to a FFL in the state I reside.

Perhaps in Ohio you can only purchase a firearm in the state you reside, so they assume all states are the same. But since they are a pretty big distributer, you would think once it shipped from them to a FFL, ANY FFL, they wouldn't care anymore.

A handgun must be transfered to you in the state you reside in. A long gun can be transfered in any state you are present in, if that state allows such a tansfer.

The problem probably is that not all long guns are legal in all states, so to be safe, this FFL probably has a policy against it, or it is just a standard statement.

Found the issue wasn't with Cope's, it was the FFL. Being relatively new, they didn't think they could do a transfer for anything to a non-resident.
It was a friend of a friend that I was going to give some business to. While they've since been educated, I'm sticking to my normal FFL for the transfer.
The wording in the original email from Cope's made it seem the issue was with them.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top