JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There is nothing to interpret. The law says "Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm". NOWHERE does it say anything about using a suppressor, silencer, or flash hider by name. The law bans "devices" for reducing NOISE, since they don't use the word suppressor how could they change ti to silencer? So if your flash hider reduces the NOISE of your firearm then this law would apply.

FWIW many people own and shoot LEGAL silencer in WA all the time with no trouble and RANB has been working hard to get this law fixed to be 100% legal.

There is nothing to interpret. The law says "Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm". NOWHERE does it say anything about using a suppressor, silencer, or flash hider by name. The law bans "devices" for reducing NOISE, since they don't use the word suppressor how could they change ti to silencer? So if your flash hider reduces the NOISE of your firearm then this law would apply.

FWIW many people own and shoot LEGAL silencer in WA all the time with no trouble and RANB has been working hard to get this law fixed to be 100% legal.

Uhh... Owning a silencer IS legal in WA as long as it's also legal under federal law. Firing a weapon with it on the gun is ILLEGAL.

So you can own it, just not put it on the gun and go shooting with it.

8 US Presidents have been NRA members
80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
Arms Collectors of South West Washington member

Uhh... Owning a silencer IS legal in WA as long as it's also legal under federal law. Firing a weapon with it on the gun is ILLEGAL.

So you can own it, just not put it on the gun and go shooting with it.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
Arms Collectors of South West Washington member

Correct. Where did I say otherwise?

I am an owner and USER of several silencers.

You appear to here:

It is just what I said. Many people that own LEGAL silencers, they are legal even in WA. Then many of those legal owners of legal silencer actually do shoot them in WA and do not run into any trouble. Not running into trouble is NOT the same as being legal. Then I followed it up with the statement about the progress of making it legal in WA. On top of that the the OP listed the actual state law so I didn't feel the need to repost it.

What is means is that the law is poorly written, hard to enforce, NO ONE has EVER been prosecuted for LEGAL use of LEGAL silencer in WA. I stress legal because there have been MANY prosecutions of people with illegal silencers.

I have only been able to uncover ten incidents involving illegal silencers the entire state of Washington. Not all of them involved the arrest of a person. How many do you know of?

Ranb

I have only been able to uncover ten incidents involving illegal silencers the entire state of Washington. Not all of them involved the arrest of a person. How many do you know of?

Ranb

Sorry I choose my wording poorly. I was trying to emphasize the point of no prosecutions of users of legal silencers.

Thanks for the link and I think I did read though the whole thing once, but not up for 11 pages today :)

Just because the LEO's took the silencers does NOT make them right. First call to ATF, second call to lawyer will solve a lot of problem. I bet those LEO's are the same ones that make other LEO's look bad no matter the situation. Also problems are not the same a prosecutions............

I have had cops on a few occasions tell me "how things were" only to have the judge tell them just how wrong they were.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top