JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a buyer wanting me to ship a revolver I have listed for sale from my FFL here to his FFL in Nashville, TN. I have bought a couple firearms online before, but have never sold one. I have a few questions for those of you who have.

1) What is the most secure way to get payment? PayPal is an obvious answer, but I know they aren't a gun friendly company and I don't want to give them any business. I suggested mailing a cashier's check or similar secure payment prior to shipping, but that puts all the risk on the buyer, which leads me to the next question.

2) How do you ensure to the buyer that you aren't scamming them?

3) In the event that the buyer fails the background check at his FFL, then what? Does the revolver get shipped back to my FFL? On my dime, I assume? I doubt this is a risk, as I doubt anyone is going to pay prior to shipment unless they know they are going to pass, but just want to cover all bases.

4) Does shipping FFL to FFL remove me from the legal aspects of the transaction, as far as making sure he's a legal buyer and all?

Anything else I should know? Thanks in advance.

1) What is the most secure way to get payment? PayPal is an obvious answer, but I know they aren't a gun friendly company and I don't want to give them any business. I suggested mailing a cashier's check or similar secure payment prior to shipping, but that puts all the risk on the buyer, which leads me to the next question.

I use USPS money order, but those can be faked. You have to look for the strips & such that are embedded and harder to fake. I also accept cashier's or certified check, but only if I have independently researched the phone number of the branch of the bank that the check is originated. No out of country banks, locations where the buyer doesn't reside, etc. You MUST call the bank to verify the funds prior to shipping the firearm. Yes, all the risk is on the buyer... that is unavoidable risk of internet private transactions. It is also why I prefer doing biz with NWFA members or thru Gunbroker.com (they will suspend members for iffy transactions).

3) In the event that the buyer fails the background check at his FFL, then what? Does the revolver get shipped back to my FFL? On my dime, I assume?

Payment is made prior to shipping firearm thru FFL. FFL accepts transfer of the firearm into his possession and onto his books, then transfers it to the buyers FFL. Then if the buyer fails BCG, the firearm, which is already paid for, stays at the FFL where it was shipped. At that point, it is legally possessed by his FFL and is no longer your concern nor responsibility.

4) Does shipping FFL to FFL remove me from the legal aspects of the transaction, as far as making sure he's a legal buyer and all?

In the case of any interstate transfer, a FFL is required on the receiving end. In OR and WA on this end also. Yes, once the firearm is legally possessed by either FFL, it is no longer your legal responsibility.

Hope this helps. :)

Last Edited:
payment go thru the FFL

paypal is not a good answer for guns....or private sales of any items of value, buyer can file a claim its not a described and your money and your gun is held hostage until the buyer is satisfied. he may say he doesnt want to return it he wants to keep it and already took it in for repairs to manufacture blah blah blah......then counter offers
Paypal will allow this as it looks to them the buyer is working with you
ASK ME HOW i KNOW...
when they find out its for a gun against their policy you are screwed they wont care

Payment is made prior to shipping firearm thru FFL. FFL accepts transfer of the firearm into his possession and onto his books, then transfers it to the buyers FFL. Then if the buyer fails BCG, the firearm, which is already paid for, stays at the FFL where it was shipped. At that point, it is legally possessed by his FFL and is no longer your concern nor responsibility.

if the buyer fails the background check, or otherwise cant buy the gun.... do you give him a refund, and if so how do you get your gun back?

if the buyer fails the background check, or otherwise cant buy the gun.... do you give him a refund, and if so how do you get your gun back?

I'd evaluate that on a case by case basis. Note... he has already "bought" the gun. Send good pics and then the onus is on the buyer. What is the reason he won't take delivery? Doesn't like it... he should have checked out similar firearms beforehand. Wife got on his case... too bugglebum bad!!! Something wrong with firearm or not as described... make refund or adjustment.

That said "if" seller wanted to do a partial or entire refund, the buyer could have the FFL return it to the seller's FFL. No biggie.

Good question. But this is not an over-the-counter deal. Both parties need to act accordingly unless you really WANT to get taken advantage of.

Paypal will also take away the money if they suspect it was used for a firearm. How they would find out; however, I do not know. That said, paypal is not secure. Learn how to spot a fake USPS money order and go from there (cashing it in at the post office is a possibility as well if they have cash on hand for it). If they want to use another money order, or a check, I'd be wary.

2) How do you ensure to the buyer that you aren't scamming them?
Pictures help. But really, nothing you can really do.

Its going to a FFL no matter what. Its on the receiving FFL to find that out.

I only accept USPS Money Orders for payment. As far as shipping goes, I use Buds Guns online shipping services and it's been great with no issues.
Since you're shipping a handgun you will need to ship it next day air.
Buds shipping service is called "Ship My Gun" and you set up an account with them and the cost will be half of normal overnight delivery fee's.
You select the FFL near the buyers residence, print out the shipping label, tape it to the box and just drop it off at the nearest Fed Ex hub, or have them pick it up.
The best part is they have a data base of all the FFL's in the country and they take care of the FFL license paperwork, plus you can enter the "from & to" addresses and it will calculate the exact shipping fee.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads