JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why are these intruders even in your house in the first place??

Beefing up your interior security to keep people out of a room, while they have already breached your exterior doors is a waste of time.

Nobody gets close to my exterior doors that I do not know about instantly. Beams and dogs.

I am not growing to cower in a reinforced bedroom waiting for something to happen. I will take the fight to the intruder on my terms and that will be appropriate application of force to stop the threat.

One sided deadbolt B80 is an option but is no stronger then the B60 deadbolt and is normally for use on an upstair patio door and leaves open the issue of someone locking themselves in the room you do not want in the room or a child to lock themselves in the room.
One other reason to add deadbolt to bedroom is being able to lock things up another layer when you are gone such as the wives jewlery or to even lock up the bedroom when you have company or people working on other parts of the house, not so much an issue if you do all your own work on your home but still handy when people visit. Wives sister just had pills taken from her home by cousin who was at house for childs birthday party so it can happen and nice to know you can lock up small easy to steal items when needed without needing lots of room in safe saving room for the guns and such. I have been known to put small nick nacks in bedroom for protection when I leave town because sometimes even alarms are worthless and you can get around.
Nothing is 100% but I make things as hard as possible.

Work in hardware industry here is my advice

Solid core wood door. Get from good door store not cheap box store junk.

Heavy duty commercail grade hinges such as Stanley 179 hinges 4x4 your choice of color. If door swings out use
Non Removable Hinges so pins can not be popped out
Use steel 2 inch or greater screws from Deltana

B60 deadbolt or something like that such as those made by Baldwin. Latches are saw proof and locks hard to drill out cylinder. Make sure the strike reinforcing system for the strike is installed and use the face plate mortise latchbolt not the drive in latch bolt.

When door and frame are out take house studs right to jamb so screws for all can get into the 2x4 stacked material its best to have at least 6 stacked together but two 2x4 min.

Ives 054mb dutch door bolt for second lock or the same type of unit from Deltana/ Long screws for strikes for this slide bolt, Note this slide bolt is strong enough for exterior dutch door so its nice and thick.

Use any privacy door knob or lever you want even reuse the one thats is on door now.

This will make door very strong but remember the walls are still weak so if you really want more of a panic type room this would also need to be addressed but the door will protect you most of the time.

Had same type of set up on front door with man tried to get into house after my wife. Did not even have to fix door because it was to strong to kick in for him Had 3 inch screws on hinge side.

Recomend this set up many times each week for front doors.
It should be plenty for interior door without spending a lot.

It would be easier to go through the wall after all that.

Why are these intruders even in your house in the first place??

Security really is best thought of in 'layers' and barriers and it is always better to have multiple fall backs or layers vs just one, not matter how strong.

The OP watched "The Strangers" for Halloween!!??? - Hard to watch - when the victims make every possible mistake in the book. My palate cleaner was the first DVD of the Sarah Connor chronicles where she is reinforcing her door, filling her sheetrocked wall with shotguns and painting over them, and filling an old chair with Kevlar for cover LOL!

Security really is best thought of in 'layers' and barriers and it is always better to have multiple fall backs or layers vs just one, not matter how strong.

Agree 100%. I would just as soon put the bulk of my money in to exterior doors, alarms, and other protections. Reinforcing interior doors, with sheet rock walls on the sides is still a waste to me. They may stop intruders from entering in a timely manner, but they will not stop bullets.

Not to sound weird, but what about your drywall walls adjacent to the door? Are you going to reinforce your walls? You can kick right through a drywall wall in seconds......

Was about to say the same thing Also, If there are big windows, no sense wasting money on a door.
Unless you live in a vault, someone will get in if they want to bad enough.
Best bet, carry when at home, Get big Horn sirens and lots of flood lights you can activate with a panic alarm. Make the place look like there is a prison escape in progress, and I will bet you 99.99% of the perps would shed their skin getting as far from you as possible.
Last thing they want is the entire neighborhood out in the street with their hands over their ears watching..

Best bet, carry when at home, Get big Horn sirens and lots of flood lights you can activate with a panic alarm. Make the place look like there is a prison escape in progress, and I will bet you 99.99% of the perps would shed their skin getting as far from you as possible.
Last thing they want is the entire neighborhood out in the street with their hands over their ears watching..

Excellent advice. When STHF comes, outside dogs are going to be a huge part of our defense plans. I will get at least 3 mixed breed big male dogs that will live outside and whose sole duty is deterrent. They will be taught a patrol area, to defend as their territory. Probably a mixture of husky, shepard.

Excellent advice. When STHF comes, outside dogs are going to be a huge part of our defense plans. I will get at least 3 mixed breed big male dogs that will live outside and whose sole duty is deterrent. They will be taught a patrol area, to defend as their territory. Probably a mixture of husky, shepard.

Dogs are no defense, only alarms.
They will get killed if anything serious goes down. You'll need to protect the dogs, not the other way around.

Hey Guy's.

I never intended to create a panic room or ignore the overall security of my house in lieu of a security door to my bed room. We were doing some updating to the 35 year old house and when it came time to redo the trim on my poorly installed master bed room doorI decided to replace it with something more secure.
I and Burt are not always on the same page, but I agree with him that security is best thought out as in layers.
This project did not turn out as well as I had intended, I made some errors, but hey it looks good.
The goal was to create a more secure door for the master for less then $150, the door was to cost about $95 for a 1 1/2" solid core masonite interior door prehung with 4" hinges, what they sent me was a 1 3/8" door slab pre hung with 3 1/2" hinges, I was not happy and there remedy was to sell me the door for $45. what ever, I just wanted to get it done.
I spent $15 for a 1/4" x 3"x 48" piece of steal and $12 for a one sided deadbolt, $8 for a slide bolt, plus about $25 for new door trim, and assorted screws.
IMG_20131031_122715_126_zps270f689f.jpg IMG_20131031_122745_541_zpsbf145d07.jpg

I milled the steal (poorly, but hey I am a wood guy) IMG_20131031_145900_754_zpsfc40dbe9.jpg

I had to router out the jamb for the steel as the bolt was just throwing barely far enough to engage the new steel strike IMG_20131031_151019_238_zpse390df54.jpg

Then I glued and screwed the steel to the jamb. IMG_20131031_163323_984_zps11ae5b0c.jpg

When I installed the door I used 3" screws (about 6) and drilled them through the jamb and the steel into the rough framing, same for attaching the strike plates, with one long screw through each hinge.

A fairly stout set up for about $80 not including labor or paint

If I had a do over I would do the same with the exception I would do a 1 1/2" thick door and 4" hinges.

IMG_20131031_122715_126_zps270f689f.jpg

IMG_20131031_122745_541_zpsbf145d07.jpg

IMG_20131031_145900_754_zpsfc40dbe9.jpg

IMG_20131031_151019_238_zpse390df54.jpg

IMG_20131031_163323_984_zps11ae5b0c.jpg

I am surprised the Kwickset deadbolt was so short.
All my deadbolts are Kwickset and they all reach clear through the regular wood jam and through the 4' steel bar I inserted behind the door jam in the existing doors with a 1/4-1/2" to spare.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top