JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just read a rather interesting story on facebook about how people are getting charges reduced or dropped because Lower Receivers do not meet the legal definition of a firearm serial number or not.

So it seems to me, that 'frames' of many semi-auto pistols suffer from the same legal deficiency; while they usually house the trigger, they do not house the barrel/breechblock mechanisms.

That is, if I am understanding what the legal problem is here.

Firearm Frame or Receiver
That part of a firearm which provides housing for the hammer, bolt or breechblock, and firing mechanism, and which is usually threaded at its forward portion to receive the barrel.

This might have a bad unintended consequence; what if the ATF rules that both the upper and lower must be serialized? What if congress changes the law to requires both upper and lower to be serialized? And this then means that we can't buy uppers without an FFL transfer?

Another bad / unintended consequence...
All major parts of all firearms must now have matching serial numbers ....and now all serial numbered parts need an FFL / BGC in order to purchase

Now don't get me wrong here...I like news in gun owners favor...
Nor do I want to see any more rules / requirements / restrictions etc....passed
Andy

It could be bad - we should be careful about what we ask for.

I have uppers and lowers for a number of rifles and handguns (not just ARs), and it often isn't clear to me which should be serialized or why. I have some slides/barrels for my SIGs that are caliber conversion 'kits'.

"No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the Legislature is in session." Gideon John Tucker

The ATF already required Safety Harbor to sell its AR uppers (50 BMG bolt action) as serialized firearms. Not a stretch to think that will be applied to other upper receivers in the future.

This might have a bad unintended consequence; what if the ATF rules that both the upper and lower must be serialized? What if congress changes the law to requires both upper and lower to be serialized? And this then means that we can't buy uppers without an FFL transfer?

The point of this recent concentrated push by TPB is to serialize/control barrels, bolts, upper receivers to shut down 80% and home builders, as well as people like me who shoot enough to wear out barrels.

It is a push agaisnt militaristic/serious shooters and competitors. It won't affect "average" CCWs who buy a couole handguns and blast through 50 rounds a month.

It coincides with a push for new laws in states on the left coast.

I agree with this assessment. If the Feds are having problems convicting people because of the definition, expect the definition to change.

and soon someone will come out with an 80% upper jig as efficient as the 5d tactical lower jig. lemme know where to invest! LOL :rolleyes::D

prob already exists

Uppers would be super easy. The problem is barrels and bolts.

I know barrels can techinically be DIY, especially if it was somehow 80%ed, but still gonna be a bubblegum. Unless someone sells em with a plug on the end you just have to cut off.

Hmmmm.

I'd delete that and start your research that way you can retire from it if the worst case happens!! :p:D

That right there is why capitalism is hated by people who seek to control everyone else through force. Supply and demand is a beautiful thing.

Anyone is free to use any of my ideas to circumvent gun laws, just give me free samples of the stuff for testing!

Just read a rather interesting story on facebook about how people are getting charges reduced or dropped because Lower Receivers do not meet the legal definition of a firearm serial number or not.

I'm on FB suspension for making a joke about white trash rednecks... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: So I can't currently do anything with this. <sigh>

There is an AP article copied on snopes.com which has a bit info.

I am typing this on my phone

So, the fellow that is skeptical of EVERYTHING trusts Snopes.com.... LOL!!! :confused:

A lot of people trust the website Snopes.com and use it to fact-check things they hear on the internet. For no reason whatsoever, this mom-and-pop website has been put on a pedestal as if they are the be-all and end-all of truth on the internet.

Facebook recently teamed up with Snopes, allowing them become an arbitrator of fake news circulating on their network, essentially elevating them as an authoritative source of information. I find this development alarming on many levels:

• While there is some fake news on the internet, this opens up the possibility that op-ed's and independent journalism will get labeled as "fake news" if Snopes doesn't agree with an opinion.

• Articles can be deemed "false" if Snopes conducts sloppy fact checking. When it comes to the topic of food, it is imperative that everyone understands that this field is rampant with corrupt paid-off scientists and front groups that are working to protect profits of corporations at the expense of our health. You can not always trust information coming from self-proclaimed independent experts, and sources must be vetted extensively.

• We all have the ability to use critical thinking skills while reading news on Facebook or any other online platform – and should determine for ourselves what is false and what is the truth – instead of relying on the work of websites like Snopes to do that for us.

• This is treading too close to the line of censorship and can stifle our freedoms to express our ideas.
Is Snopes a credible and authoritative source of information?

• Snopes now has a hired team of suspect fact checkers who collaborate to debunk falsehoods that are trending on the internet.

This all stems from that big case in Cali where the Dude was selling 80% lowers to known felons, then having "Build Parties" where he supplied all the parts needed and the jig to mill out the lowers and presto, Ghost Gun! Got busted by the ATF a few times, and hauled into court where he and his savvy attorney got the AFT in major trouble because their "Laws" do not actually state which is the part that is a firearm and must contain the SN and pass a BGC, and they are set to kick off a whole bunch of law suits because the AFT is randomly making this Sh!t up as they go and actually have no force of law behind them in enforcing this made up crap!
Checking their current laws, one doesn't have to look far to see where all this comes from! I expect to see all this changing real soon!
Cant be havin Ghost Gunz in the hands of the public! :(

Uppers would be super easy. The problem is barrels and bolts.

I know barrels can techinically be DIY, especially if it was somehow 80%ed, but still gonna be a bubblegum. Unless someone sells em with a plug on the end you just have to cut off.

Hmmmm.
ECM is changing this.

ECM is changing this.

You are not wrong. Will still be hard to make a barrel the same quality as say a ballistic advantage, for less than a few hundred.

Will still need to cut the chamber, get a barrel extension(if those are not controlled too) amd torque it on.

Has port is pretty easy.

In just don't think we will see the same longevity and quality, but they will still sling lead.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top