JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm laying in bed, trying to get to sleep, but it's not working. As I'm trying to wind down, an interesting scenario crosses my mind.

Suppose I'm walking downtown with a friend, and I am CC'ing. My friend is not into guns, therefore not carrying. All of a sudden I have a heart attack/stroke/some kind of physical problem. I am laying on the ground, with my gun exposed.

Would the prudent thing for my friend be to secure my gun on himself till the police show up? Do the police even show up? If the police do show up, should he transfer the gun to them for "safe keeping"? And if so, will the police release it to my wife when she shows up?

If the police don't show, and my friend goes to the hospital with me, should he carry it inside to give to my wife when she shows up? Or hide it somewhere in his vehicle?

I know this is a bizarre thing to think of. But that is my mind on drugs. (Just had recent surgery, still recovering with pain meds on board).

Thanks for your time.

The police will see the gun, assume you were shot with the gun, and tell your friend to get away from the gun. Your friend will panic, make a sudden movement, get shot 6 or 7 times by overreacting police, and die there beside you. You, of course, will also be shot by the rookie cop with bad aim and die as well. Ahh, friendship. Isn't it great?

Ask an interesting question, get an interesting answer. Or, something similar.

My top 5 answers:

1) That, my friends, is why I don't hang out with anti-gunners.
2) Concealed means concealed - what sloppy holster are you CCing with that allows your sidearm to fall out if you fall down?
3) This is why I avoid opiates - even when in the hospital on IV morphine they don't take away the pain - just give you cotton mouth, make you not care that you have the pain, slow time, and make you have freaky dreams/thoughts.
4) What are you doing downtown CCing while on meds that have a "do not drive or operate heavy equipment" warning?
5) If you are incapacitated I don't think you have much of a choice in what your friend does and probably isn't the foremost thing on your mind at the time.

Now get some sleep and avoid the weird freak out dreams! :s0112:

So I'm laying in bed, trying to get to sleep, but it's not working. As I'm trying to wind down, an interesting scenario crosses my mind.

Suppose I'm walking downtown with a friend, and I am CC'ing. My friend is not into guns, therefore not carrying. All of a sudden I have a heart attack/stroke/some kind of physical problem. I am laying on the ground, with my gun exposed.

Would the prudent thing for my friend be to secure my gun on himself till the police show up? Do the police even show up? If the police do show up, should he transfer the gun to them for "safe keeping"? And if so, will the police release it to my wife when she shows up?

If the police don't show, and my friend goes to the hospital with me, should he carry it inside to give to my wife when she shows up? Or hide it somewhere in his vehicle?

I know this is a bizarre thing to think of. But that is my mind on drugs. (Just had recent surgery, still recovering with pain meds on board).

Thanks for your time.

You don't think an EMT has ever dealt with someone with a firearm? I hope if I'm having a heart-attack someone isn't tugging at my holster!

interesting scenario crosses my mind.

Good god people get with it!! He did not say he was carrying while on drugs!!!!

answer the ????

Your friend should get the gun and the holster and keep his mouth shut.... The cops would confiscate the gun and you would never see it again.Have the friend give it to the wife..

Wow people, this is one of the reasons I like this board. So many bizarre characters on here, you will never see the same answer twice.

Nutty, I can see that you are a mellow, optimistic person.

Swedish, I never said the gun fell out, or that I was CC'ing while on meds. Also, my friend is not anti-gunner, he just has more expensive hobbies (car racing)

Flop,:s0166:

Riot, good point, but wasn't quite my question.

poker, you take the cake for best answer. Maybe not the most amusing, but most likely the most accurate.

Thanks all.

3) This is why I avoid opiates - even when in the hospital on IV morphine they don't take away the pain - just give you cotton mouth, make you not care that you have the pain, slow time, and make you have freaky dreams/thoughts.

Normally I don't like pain meds either, but I dislike the feeling of trying to pass a corncob wrapped with barbed wire even more. Enough said?:s0039:

Speaking as a Paramedic:

If I noticed it (which I likely would while doing an EKG) I would remove it, clear it, and give it to security at the hospital, who will secure it until you get discharged from the hospital.

Some will yell and scream about me removing it; here's why I would do that:

Roughly 25% of my patients have some form of temporary confusion/mental impairment associated with their reason for calling 911. People with guns who are confused/mentally impaired pose a risk to me, so I minimize the risk.

I can't say all my co-workers would do the same, but a plurality of them would.

Greg

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Speaking as a Paramedic:

If I noticed it (which I likely would while doing an EKG) I would remove it, clear it, and give it to security at the hospital, who will secure it until you get discharged from the hospital.

Some will yell and scream about me removing it; here's why I would do that:

Roughly 25% of my patients have some form of temporary confusion/mental impairment associated with their reason for calling 911. People with guns who are confused/mentally impaired pose a risk to me, so I minimize the risk.

I can't say all my co-workers would do the same, but a plurality of them would.

Greg

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

I think that is a very reasonable way to handle it. I don't see a problem with that. Thank you.

Amazingly in the field I dont come across firearms that much. Our company runs over 1000 calls a month with 6 units so we see a lot of patients.

Response to the gun will depend on who you get showing up on the ambulance. It could be from the medic (I disagree with his choice, but it is his choice) response above to cops showing up and dealing with it. In a urban setting getting a LEO on scene to "deal" with it will take minutes, in rural it may take so long they will not even be involved.

While I am very familiar with many guns and it one of my main hobbies I will NOT clear a gun in the field. While the risk of an AD is low if one happens it will be VERY bad no matter what. The absolute safest place for a handgun is to stay in the holster, hands down. The risk of an AD in the holster is VERY low. If you have to remove the holstered gun from the patient. Again I will not be "playing" with anyone else's gun unless there is a greater danger in not doing it (situation will dictate). When we get to the hospital I will let their security (the ones with liability for this) deal with it. This is all assuming you dont have someone there to take it for you.

We do deal with a lot of crime related firearms stuff, had 4 shooting last week by Wednesday night, and the cops will be on scene before we even go in. They will have the scene and the firearm secure before we get to the patient. I know that was not your question though.

I teach EMT classes in a rural area. One of the things we do is have the local Sheriffs officers come in (since the ambulance is run though the Sheriffs office) and do a quick lecture/hands on with guns, taser's, pepper spray, how LEO's dress and the gear they carry. Their advice about how to secure all firearms agree and advocate keeping them in the holster if at all possible.

I think the bigger question is: How nice is your carry gun and how good a friend is he?:s0114: He/she may assume your wife is now a widow and you will no longer have a need for such a nice weapon!

One thing that annoys me about most IWB concealment holsters is that there is very little attention given to the retention aspect. I guess it's assumed that since it's concealed, no one will try to grab it - but that's not the only time that retention is important. Last year I was involved in a roll-over accident(OK, not quite rolled over completely, but the vehicle was on its side), and after getting out I went back to grab a few things and realized that my P238 was laying on the ground inside the vehicle. It had previously been on my side in a Microtuck holster. Since a crowd was now gathering, I just shoved it in my pocket to get it out of sight - fortunately the ambulance crew was cool with it all when I told them I had a gun in my pocket, and they let me retrieve and unload it without so much as a blink. Never did tell the people at the hospital about it though, just gave it to my dad when he showed up and told him to take it home. So yes, keeping track of your weapon and planning what to do in an emergency is an important consideration - one that unfortunately you may not have much say in when it happens depending on the circumstances.

Thank you all for your opinions (and wit).

While I realize every situation is different, I think I have a clearer picture of possible outcomes.

As I said before, I like this board. :)

I usually OC...If I have a heart attack in town, I would expect the EMT to secure my carry, and give it back to me when I am out of hospital, or my heirs if I don't make it. If you are having a heart attack, your carry is the least of your worries.

I usually OC...If I have a heart attack in town, I would expect the EMT to secure my carry, and give it back to me when I am out of hospital, or my heirs if I don't make it. If you are having a heart attack, your carry is the least of your worries.

The problem is we have no where to secure it for you. ALL of your property will go with you. Which means at the hospital it will go to security just like your wallet, or any other valuables.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top