JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I get a voicemail for the DOJ, special agent in charge, in regards to registering a firearm.

Heart skips a beat, not exactly the type of call one wants to get.

I call him back, definitely not what I was thinking.

Guy was really nice, and just wanted to ask why I was sending the paperwork to the AGs office and not the county sheriffs office.

Sounds like this poor guy is the one getting all the mailed LEO forms put on his desk, with not much understanding to why.

I let him know, every single one of my applications, including those filed by Silencershop used the AGs name office and address to mail the CLEO forms to.

He said that was not correct, and the ATFs language is correct, put not correct.

I asked whether the AGs office is going to put the correct information out there.

He replied that it was in the works.

I asked him what the true meaning of the phone call was.

He replied that he just wanted to ensure nothing on their end was holding up the application.

Considering he verified the CLEO mailed forms are only really a courtesy, it was weird that he even called. He could have called the ATF and learned that I had already been approved.

Anyways, interesting call to say the least.

That is an interesting and unusual call. All but one of my F1s/F4s LEO formers were sent to the sheriff, but one I bought through Silencer Shop went to the AG. No issues from them, but the Federal filing was a dumpster-fire and easily the worst NFA filing I did.

If I was buying a product through Silencer Shop I would ask them to direct the CLEO copy of the Form 4 to the most pro-2A local LE in my jurisdiction, not the most anti 2A elected politician in the state. Silencer Shop should know better.

Silencer Shop does this so that they only have to keep track of one person per state as opposed to every sheriff in the country. All of my recent Form 1s & 4s were all addressed "Dear Ellen".

With the 41F rule changes eliminating the requirement for certification signed by the CLEO, the notification is only a courtesy at this point. I read one attorney describe the new requirement saying "You could fold your application into a paper airplane and launch it in the general direction of your CLEO to meet the requirement".

The attorney was of course joking when he said that but the joke exposes a truth. There is no process to confirm that the CLEO notification was received or even sent. I have no doubt that some guys have figured this out and simply round file the CLEO copy.

E

Last Edited:
Silencer Shop does this so that they only have to keep track of one person per state as opposed to every sheriff in the country. All of my recent Form 1s & 4s were all addressed "Dear Ellen".

With the 41F rule changes eliminating the requirement for certification signed by the CLEO, the notification is only a courtesy at this point. I read one attorney describe the new requirement saying "You could fold your application into a paper airplane and launch it in the general direction of your CLEO to meet the requirement".

The attorney was of course joking when he said that but the joke exposes a truth. There is no process to confirm that the CLEO notification was received or even sent. I have no doubt that some guys have figured this out and simply round file the CLEO copy.

E
Yep. I was getting the feeling this poor chap is truly just trying to figure out why the hell all these applications are landing on his desk. He drew the shortest straw type thing.

What Silencer Shop is doing by sending the CLEO copy to elected anti-2A politicians is helping them create a state database of NFA items which the state might not otherwise be aware of. That is far worse than the administrative burden of Silencer Shop's staff copying and pasting local sheriffs' names into electronic documents.

What Silencer Shop is doing by sending the CLEO copy to elected anti-2A politicians is helping them create a state database of NFA items which the state might not otherwise be aware of. That is far worse than the administrative burden of Silencer Shop's staff copying and pasting local sheriffs' names into electronic documents.

You have the option to change the CLEO when you finalize a Silencer Shop form to whatever CLEO you want.

E

How many of Silencer Shop's customers realize the significance of Kate Brown's AG being gifted the names and addresses of everyone buying cans? If anyone has contacts at Silencer Shop they might want to change their practices to send the CLEO copy to local sheriffs.

How many of Silencer Shop's customers realize the significance of Kate Brown's AG being gifted the names and addresses of everyone buying cans? If anyone has contacts at Silencer Shop they might want to change their practices to send the CLEO copy to local sheriffs.
In my opinion, after talking with this guy, it sounds like no one at the AGs office gives two poops about the application. If anything, they want them to stop being mailed to them.

All of them? It's literally printed on the application where the CLEO copy is going.

Again, if a person is uncomfortable with that, choose a different CLEO. Or..... just fill out your own damn form. :rolleyes:

E

All of them? It's literally printed on the application where the CLEO copy is going.

Again, if a person is uncomfortable with that, choose a different CLEO. Or..... just fill out your own damn form. :rolleyes:

E
My point is that many people who are fluent in reading English see the AG listed but don't realize the significance of that name. Not that they can't read.

I don't like getting calls out of the blue like that. I think I've told the following story here before. In brief, a couple of years ago got a call from a sheriff's office in northern Calif. asking me if I had sold a certain Smith & Wesson .44 Magnum. Well, I hadn't lived in Calif. since 1987. I'd bought the .44 around 1985, sold it in 1992 after I'd moved to Wash. In accordance with all laws current at the time. Which included face to face private transfer, but out of an abundance of caution I'd kept the name and address of the buyer, another Wash. resident.

All of the above I told the deputy who called. They had the .44 in their possession; it had been taken from a suspect they'd arrested. The call was all about, was the gun stolen or had I sold it. They wanted to get him for an additional charge of possession of a stolen firearm if they could. It was that simple.

I'd bought the gun new from a dealer. The transaction was still on the books in Sacramento, Calif. and I guess those records never go away. Until maybe the planet melts down. With that information, they were able to track me down after 30 years to ask me the question.

Interesting. I just got a form 4 approved yesterday through a silencershop kiosk, it also shows the AG. I'm confused though... is silencer shop actually sending the info to the AG for me? or am I supposed to mail a copy of the form 4 to the AG so I too can get a phone call asking why I'm sending them this crap?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top