JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I had 4 identical 3" thick phone books laying around so I decided to do an impromptu test using 3 types of 5.56 ammo. The ammo was Fed xm193 55gr, Pmc xtac m855 62gr green tips and Fed American eagle 55 gr jsp. All were shot into dry phonebooks stacked inline. The weapon was a 12.5" AR pistol fired at 25'. The results were exactly opposite of what I would have guessed. The Pmc green tips penetrated the least and fragmented the most, penetrating 2/3 of the way through the second phone book. The Fed 55gr jsp also fragmented violently but stopped just inside the back cover of the second book. The fed xm 193 showed no expansion or fragmenting and plowed a clean hole until it entered the third book and started yawing. It came to rest 2/3 of the way through the third book. The squished bullet was recovered mostly intact. The others had no large pieces to recover, just small fragments. I know this sample size is too small to draw too many conclusions but interesting just the same. For comparison, 9mm 115 ball ammo shot through a pistol at 20' will penetrate about 3/4 of the way through 1 phonebook. My take aways are, bullets don't always perform as expected through all mediums and phone books are tougher than you would think.

I had 4 identical 3" thick phone books laying around so I decided to do an impromptu test using 3 types of 5.56 ammo. The ammo was Fed xm193 55gr, Pmc xtac m855 62gr green tips and Fed American eagle 55 gr jsp. All were shot into dry phonebooks stacked inline. The weapon was a 12.5" AR pistol fired at 25'. The results were exactly opposite of what I would have guessed. The Pmc green tips penetrated the least and fragmented the most, penetrating 2/3 of the way through the second phone book. The Fed 55gr jsp also fragmented violently but stopped just inside the back cover of the second book. The fed xm 193 showed no expansion or fragmenting and plowed a clean hole until it entered the third book and started yawing. It came to rest 2/3 of the way through the third book. The squished bullet was recovered mostly intact. The others had no large pieces to recover, just small fragments. I know this sample size is too small to draw too many conclusions but interesting just the same. For comparison, 9mm 115 ball ammo shot through a pistol at 20' will penetrate about 3/4 of the way through 1 phonebook. My take aways are, bullets don't always perform as expected through all mediums and phone books are tougher than you would think.
When I saw the title a thought this was another dang saiga308 video. I imagined skattered phone book bits and broken glass littering all over the desert.

Good observations and thx for posting.

3 phone books were harmed in this test and are now off to recycler after lead was removed. No paper was left to blow away in the desert. These are very serious test following my made up protocols and are crafted purely for my amusement.:cool:

What is a "phone book?"
20221228_152257.jpg

The free toilet paper in these wino outhouses.

Lord, I apologize, I have misled the community. Just now I was putting away gear and I discovered a fly in the ointment of my protocol. When I did the test I loaded up three the 3 rounds in a 20 round mag in the order I wanted to shoot them. When I went to charge weapon it would not feed the first round from this mag despite multiple tries. I decided to punt and grabbed another 30 round mag that was loaded with what I thought were green tips. I shucked a couple rounds off the top and loaded a single xm193 round followed by the 55gr sp round. They fed flawlessly and I fired the 3 rounds.
Tonight I noticed that 30 round mag did not contain pmc m855. They are green tipped but actually are sierra 77gr tmk's. Doh! That explains a lot as 77 tmk's tend to yaw and fragment very easily and are my choice for hd. Now I definitely need to shoot some real green tips into the same media to put my mind at ease. If I would have looked at bottom of mag I clearly states what it is loaded with. What a marroooon!

Lord, I apologize, I have misled the community. Just now I was putting away gear and I discovered a fly in the ointment of my protocol. When I did the test I loaded up three the 3 rounds in a 20 round mag in the order I wanted to shoot them. When I went to charge weapon it would not feed the first round from this mag despite multiple tries. I decided to punt and grabbed another 30 round mag that was loaded with what I thought were green tips. I shucked a couple rounds off the top and loaded a single xm193 round followed by the 55gr sp round. They fed flawlessly and I fired the 3 rounds.
Tonight I noticed that 30 round mag did not contain pmc m855. They are green tipped but actually are sierra 77gr tmk's. Doh! That explains a lot as 77 tmk's tend to yaw and fragment very easily and are my choice for hd. Now I definitely need to shoot some real green tips into the same media to put my mind at ease. If I would have looked at bottom of mag I clearly states what it is loaded with. What a marroooon!
Better go fish those phonebooks out of the recycling. :)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top