JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I find I am still quite surprised when I meet people that have absolutely zero exposure to firearms. It seems to me that most folks have at least handled a gun once or twice in their lives, or at least knows a little bit about them.

At my daughter's school there is a family where the parents wanted to get to know more about guns so they could own one or two for protection. My wife shared my interest and they asked if we could get together and talk about them. We met for lunch today then went to their home to discuss things further while the kids played in another room.

We spent about 2 1/2 hours talking about guns. We had to start at the absolute basics, and I mean basics. These folks really know nothing about guns. Based on their questions, we talked about the difference between a shotgun and a rifle. We talked about the difference between a rifle and a handgun. There was a lot of need to define terms, explain things in a calm and easy manner, and, above all, address concerns about safety since they have two young children.

I hadn't expected to spend this much time talking with them today, but they were really interested and really sat captivated and asked a lot of questions. We talked about what kind of guns would be right for them, how they planned on using them, CHL's, training, storage and education. Eventually, they asked to see my CC weapon. Now this is something I share with very few people, but they already knew I carried, so I unholstered (they wanted to know how I carried), unloaded the gun in front of them and allowed them to handle the gun, supervised by me, of course.

In the end, their concerns were greatly alleviated and the mysteries had been clarified with facts. We're going to meet up in the not too distant future at the range and I'm going to let them try out a few different guns, starting with some .22's. I also told them I would help guide them in choosing classes and help them find guns that would work for them, when it's time to make those purchases.

I think this will be an ongoing relationship as they develop into responsible gun owners. I'm always open to these kinds of opportunities as some good folks did similar things for me when I was a newbie gun owner years ago. Hopefully they'll share what they learn with others too, and continue the cycle of adding new gun owners. As for me, I really enjoyed the opportunity to share this with these folks today. And 2 more people voting pro-gun will be a bonus for us down the road.

P.S. We also discussed 2nd amendment issues and the attacks on our rights in Oregon. They were very interested and concerned about what upcoming legislation may affect their rights to own guns in the future.

Last Edited:
I find I am still quite surprised when I meet people that have absolutely zero exposure to firearms. It seems to me that most folks have at least handled a gun once or twice in their lives, or at least knows a little bit about them.

Me too. Even more so about defensive carry. "You mean you would/could actually SHOOT someone?"

Me too. Even more so about defensive carry. "You mean you would/could actually SHOOT someone?"

And we actually discussed that very question today too. I asked them straight out if they had ever considered if they could pull the trigger when it mattered. As with many folks, they've never considered what that means to them, so we left it with them to think about until our next meeting. As for me carrying, they really didn't have a problem with it, they are just very much uneducated on such things.

Good job, etrain! The more often this kind of thing happens the better for everyone! I don't think these folks will ever have a drunken, negligent discharge in a theater!:)

etrain, nice work! Getting them in with a good instructor will be the best thing you can do for them. Again, nice work!

I'll give them enough instruction to get a decent introduction to guns, but I have already recommended they take a proper course or two with a seasoned instructor. They were very open to that idea.

It's hard for me to wrap my head around the idea of a man not knowing anything about firearms, but then again, our full grown 40 something neighbor once asked my 13 yr old son to show him how to change a flat tire on his car. :oops::rolleyes:o_O

Awesome! There are so many out there just because of the media hype consider guns taboo and have no idea great job in taking the time to educate them.

It's hard for me to wrap my head around the idea of a man not knowing anything about firearms, but then again, our full grown 40 something neighbor once asked my 13 yr old son to show him how to change a flat tire on his car. :oops::rolleyes:o_O

He grew up in the San Francisco Bay area...with a father that wanted nothing to do with guns, so not all that surprising. He actually grew up with a lot of fear and misunderstanding about guns from his father. It's only now that he's taking a very serious look at those earlier teachings. He really believes (as does his wife) it's an important step in the right direction. He sees that it is part of his responsibility to protect his family.

Having those of knowledge, time and experience, that is willing to educate and train is something vastly needed everywhere in all communities. However, finding that source is the missing link to everyone's well being and safety. Good on you Etrain16. I've always thought that local law enforcement agencies should have and provide to, and for the community, some means of classes they could attend to be educated and well trained for the safety of all the community. However the legality comes to play, I do not know

This is why gun control is dead. The people slowly learn. They become gun owners. It doesn't go the other way around - gun owners do not become gun prohibitionists.

The one point I question is the need for training. Yes, we should advise people to be trained by professionals if possible, but we should not give them the impression that guns are such complex things that they should not bother with them unless they get training. Guns are simple machines, and the rules for gun handling (Cooper's 4 rules) are also simple. A little book reading and curiosity is often enough. Some people do not have the time or money to attend an expensive training session. They should still arm themselves.

The reason firearms are such a revolutionary technology is precisely because one can defend oneself without a lot of effort. No need for any black belt...

Last Edited:
This is why gun control is dead. The people slowly learn. They become gun owners. It doesn't go the other way around - gun owners do not become gun prohibitionists.

The one point I question is the need for training. Yes, we should advise people to be trained by professionals if possible, but we should not give them the impression that guns are such complex things that they should not bother with them unless they get training. Guns are simple machines, and the rules for gun handling (Cooper's 4 rules) are also simple. A little book reading and curiosity is often enough. Some people do not have the time or money to attend an expensive training session. They should still arm themselves.

The reason firearms are such a revolutionary technology is precisely because one can defend oneself without a lot of effort. No need for any black belt...

I would tend to draw the line at mandatory, government required training, but I am an advocate for training for those that can afford it, and particularly for those that plan to carry. I do believe you can be self taught, and taught by peers, but there is definitely a value to learning from seasoned trainers - I know I learned some things I hadn't learned from others.

Either way, I'm simply doing my best to encourage them. I'm happy to give them some training myself, primarily in gun safety and proper gun handling. But I think others would be better with technique. At least in their situation, they are open to training classes, and I believe they do have the means to pay for the classes should they desire to take them.

"You mean you would/could actually SHOOT someone?"
THIS IS THE HOLLY GRAIL of carrying.
I ask the husband when he says the wife wants to carry now,Can she kill someone?
No
She shouldn't carry.
yes if it's the kids/grandkids
Well,she needs to understand that if she carries and just pulls the gun,it will be taken from her and used on herself and family members.
Folks new to carry need to be told they may have "to kill someone" not "stop the threat" as "WE" like to say for legal reasons.
I feel you must ask them if they can kill someone.
If not they shouldn't get a gun.
One of the reasons I limit my carry. It needs to be a desperate situation for me

it will be taken from her and used on herself and family members.

Gary Kleck researched this question, and found that it was very rare - that less than 1% of defensive gun uses have the criminal getting the gun (much less shooting the victim with it). See his book "Point Blank".

Certainly, those who carry should think the question over, but I suspect it is inevitable that they will do so, once they decide to arm themselves. Even more, will those who reluctantly come to gun ownership, consider whether or not they can shoot anybody.

I can see choosing not to shoot somebody unless the need is dire, but it doesn't make sense to not carry. The point is to have options. "Better to have a gun and not need it, than to need one and not have it."

Gary Kleck researched this question, and found that it was very rare - that less than 1% of defensive gun uses have the criminal getting the gun (much less shooting the victim with it). See his book "Point Blank".

Certainly, those who carry should think the question over, but I suspect it is inevitable that they will do so, once they decide to arm themselves. Even more, will those who reluctantly come to gun ownership, consider whether or not they can shoot anybody.

I can see choosing not to shoot somebody unless the need is dire, but it doesn't make sense to not carry. The point is to have options. "Better to have a gun and not need it, than to need one and not have it."
Yeah,nevermind. Don't want to argue over this,1% or not

THIS IS THE HOLLY GRAIL of carrying.
I ask the husband when he says the wife wants to carry now,Can she kill someone?
No
She shouldn't carry.
yes if it's the kids/grandkids
Well,she needs to understand that if she carries and just pulls the gun,it will be taken from her and used on herself and family members.
Folks new to carry need to be told they may have "to kill someone" not "stop the threat" as "WE" like to say for legal reasons.
I feel you must ask them if they can kill someone.
If not they shouldn't get a gun.
One of the reasons I limit my carry. It needs to be a desperate situation for me

Different people carry for different reasons, and at different times. I used to be an occasional carry myself, only carrying where I perceived there was more of a threat. That last 5 years or so have made it pretty clear to me that there are no truly 'safe' spaces, so I now carry everywhere it's not specifically prohibited by law. Since there is no way for me to know when an attack will happen, I just reasoned that it can happen anywhere, anytime.

As to the "stop the threat" I would say it's more than just what we 'say' for legal reasons. Because, in reality, if the threat stops, you're supposed to stop firing. As we learned from the case of the guy that did stop the threat, then continued to shoot the second intruder, effectively murdering her, there is a line where you are supposed to stop. That line may or may not result in the death of the attacker. But yes, you are very correct, anyone who carries a gun needs to be ready and mentally prepared to take a life, if the situation calls for it.

In our conversation yesterday, I did ask them both if they had considered this, and while they had not perhaps considered it as seriously as I put it to them yesterday, they both acknowledged that they could. I told them if they can't give a fairly definite "yes" to that question, then they probably shouldn't own a gun for self defense in the first place.

Something that has always bothered me, is how many carry permits have been issued for the right to pack given any community. There is all that "power" hiding. Or not. That gives a better sense of security and safety for those carrying. But in the same sense, there are all those means of protection out there that many do not know how to use. I feel, that for the safety and security of everyone in general, training, knowledge, and hands on needs to be approached. Those experienced should want to educate the uneducated. Firearms training is just a ploy of income for those that have the knowledge and experience. Some, including myself do not have the funds to attend all the classes, so that part of becoming educated and experienced would likely never come. I feel that everyone with a CCL would benefit for the safety and confidence, knowing their friends, family and neighbors know how to deal with the responsibility of that privileged we have.

I'll leave my thoughts there.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads