JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I go into Wholesale sports to see if they have anything in stock that I have been looking for, specifically a 20" AR15 and I happen to see that they have 3 AK47's sitting on the shelf tucked in the back. I have been thinking about buying another of those as well so I ask to check one out. The counter guy says to me, "Okay, but keep it low." I was assuming he was talking about the muzzle, which is understandable, but he was not. He hands it to me and I note that I have not seen AK's in their store before. He then goes on about how they do not want to sell them, but that their buyers purchased them and how they are a sporting goods and hunting store and it makes them look bad to sell AK's "because they only have one purpose and can't be used for hunting". This statement peaks my interest so I point to the 15 or so AR's that they have and he says "oh, you can hunt with those". Now I am dumbfounded. I then hand back the AK that I was seriously considering buying, even though a bit over-priced and he tells me that he doesn't like AKs because "I have lost a lot of friends to them." At this point, I thank him for showing it to me and walk away thinking that it is gun people like him that will get AKs and ARs taken away from all of us because they think that if it is not for self defense or hunting then you don't need it. Maybe the guy was just having a bad day, but his job as a sales person is to sell me something, not to go on a rant about how he doesn't like a particular gun that the customer happens to be holding at the time. If he said something like, "I have been hearing complaints about jamming with those models", or something along those lines that's fine, but what I got was something else. I'm not sure if I will go back. I did however go to my local dealer and inquire about ordering a different AK that I will buy this month.

I'm guessing you didn't see the other thread about wholesale sports a couple threads down. Seems to be about the same thing. Inexperienced salesman.

I think the way you wrote up your post was well done without making yourself sound like "A foaming at the mouth gun fanatic.":s0155:

If you don't want to talk personally to the manager, just copy your post, put it in an envelope and hand it to him, saying something like, "I think you might like to read this." He needs to be aware that he has this kind of person working for him. Maybe, instead of selling guns, the guy should be stacking crates in the warehouse.:s0131:

Jack...:cool:

I'm guessing you didn't see the other thread about wholesale sports a couple threads down. Seems to be about the same thing. Inexperienced salesman.

Um, no.

Inexcusably poorly trained salesmen who know NOTHING about guns and seem bent on alienating the 2A crowd. I would have fired this guy on the spot if he were my employee. I then would have fired the person who was responsible for hiring and training him.

This is about the fifth time I've read something extremely negative about Whole-sale Sports, and based on the number of complaints and their type, I will NEVER darken their doors. Seriously, I get better gun service at Walmart or Bimart. They don't know anything about guns, but at least they don't spend 15 minutes trying to convince me a gun is "evil," or that they are safety experts when they aren't.

Shame on the employee, but far MORE shame on the people that hired, trained and supervised him.

Um, no.

Inexcusably poorly trained salesmen who know NOTHING about guns and seem bent on alienating the 2A crowd. I would have fired this guy on the spot if he were my employee. I then would have fired the person who was responsible for hiring and training him.

This is about the fifth time I've read something extremely negative about Whole-sale Sports, and based on the number of complaints and their type, I will NEVER darken their doors. Seriously, I get better gun service at Walmart or Bimart. They don't know anything about guns, but at least they don't spend 15 minutes trying to convince me a gun is "evil," or that they are safety experts when they aren't.

Shame on the employee, but far MORE shame on the people that hired, trained and supervised him.

I guess that works also.

With them being a Canadian owned firm I'm sure they would love nothing better than to quit selling firearms and ammo. So boycotting them will play right into the owners hands.

WOW gun buyers are sure easily offended. Is the Saleman not allowed to have an opinion?

Had you gone in the store to buy a revolver and the saleman said he prefered a semi auto Would you have gotten offended?

It just seams to me like some people love to jump on every little thing.

I shop in the same store that the OP was in (I assume since we live in the same town and only one Wholesale Sports is close.

And I know the clerks at the gun counter to range from a man who does our gunsmithing work during the clubs sight in service whos been a Marine and an active shooter for over 50 years. To maybe a couple younger guys with less experiance but still knowledgable.

With them being a Canadian owned firm I'm sure they would love nothing better than to quit selling firearms and ammo. So boycotting them will play right into the owners hands.

Actually your completely wrong in that Wholesale sports just revamped their buying dept and took on the task of learning exactly how to better serve the gun buying and sporting sports market. They are afterall a Farm store business with no background in the market. Maybe it takes them a while to learn.

WOW gun buyers are sure easily offended. Is the Saleman not allowed to have an opinion?

Had you gone in the store to buy a revolver and the saleman said he prefered a semi auto Would you have gotten offended?

I shop in the same store that the OP was in (I assume since we live in the same town and only one Wholesale Sports is close.

And I know the clerks at the gun counter to range from a man who does our gunsmithing work during the clubs sight in service whos been a Marine and an active shooter for over 50 years. To maybe a couple younger guys with less experiance but still knowledgable.

I believe his complaint was that the guy seemed to be calling the AK a evil people killer,not that the guy didn't like that particular type of rifle
And I agree,you can have too many sales people at the counter that don't like assault weapons.
Remember,the 2A didn't have anything to do with hunting.It had to do with protection.

Management in these stores seem to be really doing a bang up job. Thing is, if you complain you get an insincere apology and then as soon as you walk out the door all is forgotten. I guess they have little concern for their jobs. When we were in Canada recently on our way to Alaska I read that the parent company was not happy with the performance of their US stores and blamed them for falling profits. They claimed they were about to go through a sort of rebranding process. I think that might be what we are seeing the start of with these clearance sales they have been doing the last month. I hope they change more than just their inventory. I hope they change their attitudes.

The last time I was in the Wholesale Sports in Silverdale WA I was treated like a crazy person because I was asking for parts for an AR. The guy at the gun desk rolled his eyes and pointed at a peg board that had one magpul BUIS. Just the rear one. That was their whole inventory for ARs. I don't mind if they don't stock the stuff but to get the "eye roll" and be dismissed was annoying... I just don't go there anymore. The internet is my friend and it seems that everyone online is more than happy to have my money. I've got no time for whorehouse sports!

Seriously, I get better gun service at Walmart or Bimart.

Wal-Mart in St Helens has a rather large fellow working in their "sporting goods" section who is awesome when it comes to service and a real honest to goodness woman, lipstick and all, who knows her ammo better than most men. Made be feel a little better about supporting the Chinese economy while shopping there

Wal-Mart in St Helens has a rather large fellow working in their "sporting goods" section who is awesome when it comes to service and a real honest to goodness woman, lipstick and all, who knows her ammo better than most men. Made be feel a little better about supporting the Chinese economy while shopping there

Wha wha what? :confused:

Um, adams apple?

And how does visiting her possibly him help the Chinese economy again?

Wow! :s0114:

I suppose everyone is entitled to their opinions but in this case the salesman/clerk failed a specific job duty. I have a Marine friend who personally doesn't care for Mosins or AK's because he would rather not shoot something that has possibly shot a fellow Marine BUT told me that Mosins are great rifles and if I wanted one I should get it. The salesman in this case should have the same attitude. Sometimes I really dislike the attitudes of the bolt action/hunting rifle bunch.

They can have an opinion... as long as they keep it to themselves.

A salesmans job is to facilitate your purchase, not air their grievances.

This doesnt just have to do with guns. If you go in to buy a honda and the salesman tells you honda's are horrible and that he only buys fords, then he's not doing his job and he probably won't be a salesman very long.

I I went in to buy a revolver and the guy said "keep it down we don't want anyone to see it because there is no legitimate use for that gun." (paraphrasing) or that it was only for committing murder, Yes, I would sure as Hell be angry.

I have to listen to people I can't vote of office saying that nonsense, I sure as Heck don't have to listen to it from a clerk at a GUN SHOP. I choose to go elsewhere. If the clerk feels that strongly about it, why doesn't he go work at Fluffy Unicorn World or something?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top