JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I personally have done this within the last year; a seller here on NWFA who is a WA state resident (Vancouver) sold me a revolver (S&W Kit gun) at an Oregon FFL (NW Armory). There were no problems.

As long as the handgun gets to the FFL in the purchaser's home/resident state, the FFL can then transfer the handgun to the purchaser - it does not matter how it gets there.

Either the FFL in question is ignorant of the law or was trying to get the extra income from the fees - either way, very disappointing and I would not deal with that FFL in the future.
And I did one the other way. Took the handgun to WA where the purchaser resided and we completed the transaction at a WA FFL.

I buy a lot of guns on line and have always been curious about people worried about my FFL being willing to receiving a gun not sent by another FFL. We have never had an issue.......maby there are FFL's that won't......that may be what is going on here?
I have definitely run into FFLs who won't accept shipment except from another FFL. Dumb policy, but they are out there.

One of the FFl's that I use which is located near my home, refuses to accept shipments from private individuals because he's received firearms that were loaded with ammo.

One of the FFl's that I use which is located near my home, refuses to accept shipments from private individuals because he's received firearms that were loaded with ammo.
Off course......I believe anyone should have the right to deal with anyone or have any policies they want. I would not dictate anyone do something they don't want to. In my shop, if we don't like a customer.....like he just seems crazy to deal with.......we assign an a...hole surcharge hoping they will go somewhere else.

I use Tigard Pawn For More for my transfers. They charge $25 for the transfer and background fee. I purchased a handgun from a forum member who was a resident of Washington. He brought the gun to Tigard Pawn For More. They did the transaction, no hassles or questions. It's legal for a non-resident to transfer a handgun to another person as along as the transfer occurs in the purchaser's state of residence.

Well chatted with the FFL today. As it turns out, he wasn't paying attention, and thought the Take Down rifle I was going to trade for was actually a pistol. Not sure what he thought the 18" long tube was... He said we certainly can and could do the deal since it was a rifle I was trading for. Unfortunately he wouldn't give us a deal on the transfers if we come back, even though he messed up the deal.

We were dealing with Money Market Pawn on Powell.

Now to see if the deal can be salvaged.

Jeff

I've done business with them before and can see why they didn't pay attention, as their local is really sketchy and the walk in customers are even sketchier. Their heads were on a swivel the whole time I was in there.

As a Washington resident, I went to an oregon FLL today to perform a trade of firearms with an Oregon resident. I was looking to trade a handgun for a rifle. Much to our surprise, the FFL said it couldn't be done with both of us and the firearms there at the Oregon FFL. Was told the Oregon resident would need to travel to Washington, and then have the pistol shipped back to Oregon FFL, and we were looking at over a $100 in FFL fees.

From what I've been able to understand from this website and the web in general, we should have been able to move forward. Can anyone help shed light on this? Are we now to the point that trading a pistol for rifle between our neighboring states is really not an option if one wants to keep the costs down?

Thanks for any thoughts,

Jeff

I thought this [buying a handgun in another state you are not a resident of] was found unConstitutional.

Federal court rules residency requirements for pistol purchases unconstitutional

Peter and the two Jason(s) at Money Market are amazing folks. Things can happen as we are all not perfect but I'm sure they will take care of you right. It's a pawnshop, of course, you will see some sketchy people around there but their good services always make me come back.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top