JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
She is in USA for 17 years and holds citizenship in both countries. We talked about Japan and North Korea [she noted that NK and Japan have always had an enduring stress and strain] and the conversation evolved around to mostly American character and personal strengths or weaknesses of the American people. She pointed out that Japan fought two wars on their home land and their people and culture survived. She noted that Japanese people are willfully strong. She noted that in times of crisis most American "citizens" would be expected to become unhinged. And, noted that we never had to endure a war on our lands. Her English was good but overlaid with Japanese it was hard to understand her. What she was saying was that "most" Americans do not have the strength of character to endure hardship. What I told her was that maybe 40-50% of the population was weak. But the balance was generally strong and a minority had the strength and conviction to fight a common enemy or endure hardship such as in an environmental disaster. Any thoughts? I look at my own neighborhood block and generally see weak minded people that could not fend for themselves nor survive on their own in the face of a disaster. Thanks for the read.

Hopefully you disabused her of her inaccurate opinions of Americans? Remind her that that is exactly what the Japanese thought in the 1930s as well, and they learned, much to their embarrassment, how wrong they were from the battle of Midway (1942) on. As far as this incorrect comment she made: "noted that we never had to endure a war on our lands" I'd suggest you talk to her about the 660,000 americans who killed each other during the Civil war, how neither side would quit which at that time had been one of the most violent civil war the world had ever seen, with them Rebs not eating for weeks and even starving ....their pants falling off they were so thin. Still they fought on. The home folk privations in the 1860's were as bad as Japan in the last war with them and the proud Southerners still wouldn't give up. Bushido.

We have had many many Japanese folks stay in our house over the years. Wonderful people, but lacking a certain basic knowledge on WW2 generally. I have in my sock drawer upstairs, a carefully preserved Philippine Peso which the Japanese government printed during WW2. I use it as an educational tool to start a discussion about the Bataan Death march. None of them have heard of that when they get here. None of them have heard about the Japanese Rape of Nanking (Chunking). I educate them on this, that and the other, and when they are done here, they can go back to Japan a much smarter person. I hope you were able to help your friend out.

May I suggest the Shelby Foote 3 book set on the civil war as a gift to your friend?

My current wife is Japanese. Regarding their view of American's in terms of facing crisis, they seem to have a tremendous amount of respect for us. After they began WW2, they realized the great mistake they made by awaking the "sleeping giant". They watched us go from a peace time structure to fully blazing war machine in one year. They were flabbergasted that towards the end of the war we were producing thirty new warships per month. They were also amazed by how the war effort here was brought about by a strong collective mind. Scrap drives, rationing and grass roots support turned America into a regrettable choice for them.
While they are a largely homogeneous culture, it has its advantages and disadvantages. In a lot of ways, I wish we were more like them in that regard. However, we are a different animal over here. That being said, the respect for America is quite high in Japan. If their faith's ever waivered in us that was quickly turned around when they saw how we all came together on 9/11. Japan in large grieved with us. Granted, my perspective is cast from my experiences with my Japanese relatives, friends and
travels there. While your woman friend has her own opinion, it's just that. I would tend to think that she is just misinformed about our hodge-podge of a culture here. Now as far as Japanese personality quirks, don't get me started. It is common for them to look at things in a black and white manner.

I am not sure but I think she was driving at both a war on our own soil and environmental crisis: a perception of weakness among the "public. citizens". I informed her that both our governmental readiness and response and a good strong rough and ready Americans were up to a challenge. I pointed out that citizens from all over jumped into the saving of lives in Houston above and beyond what the authorities were doing. I think she persisted with the idea of the "public's" weakness.

We are only weak because our prosperity allows us to be. I have no doubt, that if pushed, American people have plenty of fight still left. Take a look at 9/11. When it first happened, all parties were for retaliation. Granted, we let politics ruin our fighting capabilities, and the unilateral support dwindled.

Americans, :confused: even most Americans don't understand us. If I wanted to teach someone to understand Americans I believe the best man who knows the most about us is Mike Rowe. He knows more than any politicion and he himself is a reflection of how great America is. Just my humble opinion.:)

I'm no historian but didn't we fight for our independence here on our soil?:rolleyes:

Americans can be the worst and the best kinds of people. Our biggest weakness imo is our steadfast stubbornness to fight amongst ourselves.

I like the Japanese and most of their culture - it's just different and like comparing apples to bananas.

I grew up with second or third generation (nesi?) Japanese in Spokane. Many of there fathers fought in the 442nd regimental Combat team........the most decorated unit in WW2. My friends and buddies were totally assimilated into traditional American culture even though many (not most) were still of the Budest faith. They were in my schools, Scout troops, they hunted,fished and enjoyed hot rods just like the rest of us. They were better students and athletes than I was. We learned about things not commonly spoken of like the interment camps and problems owning real estate. We loved them as the best our community produced. One family had sent one son to Japan (an American citizen) to be raised when young and his brother's remained here. They developed very different personalities but who knows the cause of that. Japan has a long tradition of enviorment all awareness that I think comes from so many people living in such a small area, one of the reasons for Japan's frequent aggression into Asia that fostered the Korean/Japanese issue. As far as American toughness, 1/3rd of the Continentals supported the Revolutionary war, 1/3 supported the King and 1/3 were not interested either way. The terrible civil war (fought on our soil) involved the highest percentage of Americans of any of our wars. WW1 was down and dirty, quickly resolved by our intervention, WW2 we went from biplanes to jets and black powder bombs to nukes in 4 years...sort of illustrates what we are capeable when we decide to do something. Today less than 1% of our young people serve......they are very tough competent soldiers capeable of defeating any foe in the world if unshackled. The 24 hr (fake) news cycle misrepresents a large portion of American population (the portion that elected Trump) so it is easy to miss the hard core of American culture that remains in tact. We have too much good food, leisure time and a realitvely easy comfortable society but do not underestimate what an increasing need and 8 weeks of boot camp can produce when required.

As history repeats itself. Prior to WWII the Japanese made the HUGE mistake of underestimating us. SO would thinking the same now be. WE have not fought a modern war on our own soil because no one not even the little fat guy has so far been that stupid. There is after all a rifle behind every tree.

I never lived in Japan nor have I met many Japanese people. I am American and have lived here for 65 years so anything I would say about their culture in my perception by reading history. Who writes history but the victors so unless it's history you have lived yourself I believe your view is tainted by the agenda of historians.

So I voice my opinion and that's all it is from 65 years of being here. Americans live in more freedom that the Japanese culture does but that freedom has taken from us one of the things that make any culture truly great, honor. Americans suffer from a lack of honor in my opinion, the greatest generation served each other working together in common cause for an honorable outcome.

The Japanese seem to still have their honor but suffer enslavement to the culture they created, they are great followers but can't seem to use their strenths to give themselves a little more freedom. Anyway I talk too much but enjoy sharing opinions, thanks for letting me be here.:)

Americans, :confused: even most Americans don't understand us. If I wanted to teach someone to understand Americans I believe the best man who knows the most about us is Mike Rowe. He knows more than any politicion and he himself is a reflection of how great America is. Just my humble opinion.:)
mike rowe is a good dude for sure

I never lived in Japan nor have I met many Japanese people. I am American and have lived here for 65 years so anything I would say about their culture in my perception by reading history. Who writes history but the victors so unless it's history you have lived yourself I believe your view is tainted by the agenda of historians.

So I voice my opinion and that's all it is from 65 years of being here. Americans live in more freedom that the Japanese culture does but that freedom has taken from us one of the things that make any culture truly great, honor. Americans suffer from a lack of honor in my opinion, the greatest generation served each other working together in common cause for an honorable outcome.

The Japanese seem to still have their honor but suffer enslavement to the culture they created, they are great followers but can't seem to use their strenths to give themselves a little more freedom. Anyway I talk too much but enjoy sharing opinions, thanks for letting me be here.:)
You need to get out more.......I spent 13 years in truly elite American military units, 3 of my 5 step kids served (some continue) with honor, one was a Ranger, one Is a USCG helicopter rescue crewman that risks his life weekly for some unknown soul in trouble and my daughter served protecting the "Deadliest Catch" guys at sea during 3 winters in the Bearing sea. Your comments illustrate ignorance of the greatness of our people that do and have served. Whenever you consider the lifestyle and security you have enjoyed for your 6 decades it is because of the people that serve and served WITH HONOR allowing you to stay home in comfort and safety. Many members here are members and veterans that still serve as they can with the honor and grace taught us by our families commitment and training.......

We have hosted as many as 3 long-term international college students at a time for fall and winter and occasionally summer semesters for going on 30 years now. Japanese, German, Brazilian, Mexican, Korean, Russian, Indonesian, Haitian, China and on and on.
Keep in mind, these are generally not the kids of waiters and mechanics, but rather from the more connected and better-off demographic in their home countries.
They tend to be more motivated and brighter than the usual.
There is a world of difference from what these kids were like from our first 15 years to the last 15 years. They seem less motivated, duller, lazier, less observant, and considerably less independent and much less curious or adventurous. They've gone from 1 very expensive 5 minute phone call home per month to continuous contact with friends and family 24-7, unable to adapt to the time change and being homesick for months instead of days because of it. When they aren't in contact with family, they are "smartphone-slaves" to twitter/Skype/face book/streaming all in their native language, completely wrecking any hope of success learning English.

These kids are not like their parents. They lack their drive or work ethic.
Remember, the kids we hosted years ago are now parents of kids old enough to be the foreign students of today!

Don't get me wrong these students are still generally ok kids, but they are certainly lacking that "spark".

Last Edited:
She is in USA for 17 years and holds citizenship in both countries. We talked about Japan and North Korea [she noted that NK and Japan have always had an enduring stress and strain] and the conversation evolved around to mostly American character and personal strengths or weaknesses of the American people. She pointed out that Japan fought two wars on their home land and their people and culture survived. She noted that Japanese people are willfully strong. She noted that in times of crisis most American "citizens" would be expected to become unhinged. And, noted that we never had to endure a war on our lands. Her English was good but overlaid with Japanese it was hard to understand her. What she was saying was that "most" Americans do not have the strength of character to endure hardship. What I told her was that maybe 40-50% of the population was weak. But the balance was generally strong and a minority had the strength and conviction to fight a common enemy or endure hardship such as in an environmental disaster. Any thoughts? I look at my own neighborhood block and generally see weak minded people that could not fend for themselves nor survive on their own in the face of a disaster. Thanks for the read.

It all depends on where you are. If you are on a college campus talking to people getting degrees in (insert worthless liberal degree here) then yes, you will be disappointed in how many of them would roll over and die, or wonder why someone hasn't saved them yet in a natural disaster or enemy at the gates situation.

The more rural you get the more people are resilient and determined to prevail over any hardship (natural disaster or enemy who needs killing). That is generally how it always has been. If you look at people who have "grit" it's the people who have had to depend on themselves and their close nit communities during times of hardship, not the people on welfare and government housing or have always had everything easy for them.

I would say as a whole it is true that compared to my grandfather's generation (WWII pacific veteran) yes my generation is a bunch of pussies, but I would also say that there are a large amount of people in my generation who still possess that greatness of our forefathers ;) we just aren't as loud and in the news all the time talking about not knowing what bathroom to enter or how we are offended, because we are busy living life, working hard, and providing for our families and our futures and that type of activity is just boring for the news to report on so instead we only hear about men wearing women's clothes, eating tide pods, talking about sociliasm, etc.

Don't let the media fool you, things aren't as bad as they seem. If for example I thought that the city of Seattle and their collective group think and anti American values represented the entire country we would indeed be screwed as a nation. Thankfully I know that that isn't the case. You don't have to travel very far outside of Seattle for sanity to be common again.

Although even as I type this I acknowledge this state which my family has literally more than 100 years of generations in, may very well be no longer home to me in the future if they can successfully pass tyrannical California style fun bill of rights violations on my 2nd amendment. Montana is looking good at that point, but that begs the question. Liberalism being a cancer that inevitably spreads, where do you run after you have already fled to the last bastions of freedom?

I often ponder these questions about the American people, will we fade silently into the night as our rights get systematically get legislated away from us? Or will the American people finally say enough and respond (with whatever box is necessary to achieve the recedence of further encroachment on our rights)

I really don't know which is why I speculate, my only thought is it would have to be an all or nothing response. Small isolated individuals would be portrayed as crazy extremists and quickly vilified by the media for desiring to retain their evil rights. Millions of people doing the same thing though and all of a sudden it is a different story.

(Thread jack over)

The issue, I think, is that our "leaders" don't lead; so it's up to our young folk to figure out what's worth fighting for and what's not worth it. WWII - clearly worth it; the Korean War - who knows; Vietnam (my fight) - probably not. Iraq II, Afghanistan - probably not. We have so many wars now with such amorphous and ambiguously evil enemies that it's hard to work up a good head of patriotic steam.

That said, if Canada invades they'd better be ready for the fight of their lives!

The issue, I think, is that our "leaders" don't lead; so it's up to our young folk to figure out what's worth fighting for and what's not worth it. WWII - clearly worth it; the Korean War - who knows; Vietnam (my fight) - probably not. Iraq II, Afghanistan - probably not. We have so many wars now with such amorphous and ambiguously evil enemies that it's hard to work up a good head of patriotic steam.

That said, if Canada invades they'd better be ready for the fight of their lives!
The last time Canada invaded......it didn't go well for them.......the war of 1812 is what truly galvanized our country as real as opposed to some novel social experiment.

I think you made a very important point that the common American does not consider. Warfare has changed, it's no longer black and white we both try our hardest to kill eachother. We have effectively been at a "Cold War" with China ever since Korea and to this day they are our single greatest cyber attack originator and they knowingly and willfully subvert our economy and patent laws by sending poison laced products and foods as "trade goods."

Meanwhile we buy their cheap goods because we want to save money.

China is playing the "super long game"

Meanwhile America is only playing from presidency to presidency.

Scary times are indeed ahead IMO, but like I have said in previous posts, as individuals the best thing we can do is prepare accordingly as best we can and live our lives to the fullest.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top