JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So this was a new kind of strange for me, went out to shoot this morning and about 200 rounds in I had a failure to extract (had to use a rod to clear the chamber). When I looked at the case I was astonished at what I was looking at the base or rim buckled. At first I thought out of battery discharge but the shoulder and case mouth are in good condition which means it had to be fully chambered or there would have been mouth or shoulder damage. The case Winchester has only been loaded maybe 3 times and the load was a mid range of hs6 under a 124gr berrys thick plated fn. What are your guys thoughts on this? Should I be greatful that I still got my fingers?View attachment 436751
It's amazing the extractor wasn't damaged. Did you have to force the slide open?

My guess is when the round chambered the bullet was pushed into the case. When fired the over pressure forced the case back causing the squished case.
Just seems like the primer would be flatter and the case head would be more beat up and have at least an ejector scar if the pressure got sketchy. .357 Sig runs at like 40,000 psi and the headstamp on that case isn't severly beaten. I see 9mm major brass out at the club that often looks far worse. Weirdness. I'd love to see a cross section of that case.

Just a wild thought. What if the case damage
happened at the loading bench. Still good enough to chamber but nothing for the extractor to grab so it stays chambered after firing. If overall loaded length stayed in normal range it may headspace close enough for firing pin to hit primer. Anyway it is such a 1 off rare occurrence I don't see any point in bothering Winchester especially after multiple reloads. Not their fault.

Very odd indeed. I've never seen a case do that. I'm just starting to load 357sig but probably would count my blessings and not bother with sending back the case to Winchester. Once it's been fired with their factory load, they're off any hook if there was one. Glad you weren't injured.

Something just occurred to me. If the case is still in the chamber what kicked the slide back? When the cartridge is fired if the casing doesn't move then the only thing that could move the slide is recoil, which seems unlikely as a mid load of HS6 is just a touch above 9mm as far as recoil is concerned.

Just seems like the primer would be flatter and the case head would be more beat up and have at least an ejector scar if the pressure got sketchy. .357 Sig runs at like 40,000 psi and the headstamp on that case isn't severly beaten. I see 9mm major brass out at the club that often looks far worse. Weirdness. I'd love to see a cross section of that case.
I don't have a Dremel but I might be able to get a good cut with my hacksaw...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top