1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting Cartridge

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by RVTECH, Dec 23, 2012.

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

I was given a bunch of old reloading stuff a while back and throughout all the boxes of stuff were several loose rounds of old ammo. One is a small .22 centerfire and I think it is a .221 Remington Fireball. I say think because it is not marked but matches the size and configuration in a reloading manual with actual size pictures. The interesting thing is the headstamp is 'TW" which is the mark of the Twin Cities Ordnance Plant, Minneapolis, MN. I was wondering why a Mfg. of military ammo would produce the .221 Fireball, unless there was a military use for it. Any ideas?
  2. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

The military had some survival rifles chambered in .221 fireball, they were usually .221, or .22 hornet and .410 shotgun.

It's also possible someone with a .221 was reforming .223 brass because .221 has been a hard to come by cartridge for about the last 20 years or so.