JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
... aannndddd..... they determined that those "extinct" poop bacteria were beneficial, how? We're talking about a time when people considered 30 years old to be "ancient".
More likely, the reason those bacteria are now so rare could be because they killed their hosts.

Interesting to consider, but wow, I pity the scientist that digs up the outhouse at the family cabin a thousand years from now.:confused:

... aannndddd..... they determined that those "extinct" poop bacteria were beneficial, how? We're talking about a time when people considered 30 years old to be "ancient".
More likely, the reason those bacteria are now so rare could be because they killed their hosts.
It's a little more complicated than that.

Interesting to consider, but wow, I pity the scientist that digs up the outhouse at the family cabin a thousand years from now.:confused:
The feces were dried.

OTOH: "Because feces aren't considered human remains under U.S. law, Warinner says, there was little discussion early on about the ethics of the research. But when the group reached out to several dozen tribes in the Southwest, some said the samples were a link to their ancestors and were upset they hadn't been consulted earlier."

Oh my! You dug up my ancestor's poop! You desecrated their excrement! :mad:

:rolleyes:

Article noted that "Treponema bacteria, for instance, are virtually unknown in the industrialized gut microbiome and appear only occasionally in people living nonindustrial lifestyles today. But, "They're present in every single one of the paleofeces, across all the geographic sites," Kostic says. "That suggests it's not purely diet that's shaping things." ...

Which on it's face, as presented, sounds "Ominous", in relation to the "scare" article title.

However the fact that Treponema are pathogenic (Syphilis, Yaws, Bejel) is "kinda" glossed over. Completely.

So, the data could also lead one to believe that any number of combinations of behaviours/diet/societal norms could have lead to a change over time of gut flora...for the better.

Interesting none the less. Could do without the sensationalizing is all...IMO.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads