JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was alerted to this by a buddy who ran across this seller. by player14apple. My buddy said he's been corresponding and seller (in South Korea) claims to manufacture these for SB, although their site says made in USA. He ordered one up to compare to the one he bought from SB and says there is absolutely no difference -- they are identical.

Found it interesting that some items are described as "ABC123 style" but others are being represented as legit originals.

Ordered an "SBA3" to compare to my real ones. The "other colors" are unavailable so black only. I can always do a charge back, but even if that doesn't work, it's only $32.

Now I need to find another lower to test this on . . .

Thanks for the heads up.

From the reviews, it might be late April or early May before it arrives. Hah! But I'll definitely let you know how it compares. Maybe even a few photos with an FDE original side by side and some caliper measurements. Don't have any good way of testing plastic composition or durability without destructive testing, so that probably won't happen.

I was alerted to this by a buddy who ran across this seller. by player14apple. My buddy said he's been corresponding and seller (in South Korea) claims to manufacture these for SB, although their site says made in USA. He ordered one up to compare to the one he bought from SB and says there is absolutely no difference -- they are identical.

I wonder if you would be legally covered by this since its not technically a SBA3?

I wondered that too, but if it's exactly identical, who would know?

Does the real sba3 have a serial number on it?

I don't know. I guess it doesn't have a ketter either, but not sure I want to support IP theifs anyway.

Mine arrived at my PO Box a couple weeks back and I recently picked them up (ordered two). Not a lot of packaging. This is the entirety of the packaging they arrived in.

SBA3_Imitation_Box_2020-04-22_1.jpg

Once out of the box and the ziplock bag, here's what it looked like.

SBA3_Imitation_Angle_2020-04-22_1.jpg

SBA3_Imitation_Angle_2020-04-22_2.jpg

First impression: it looks and feels the part. But lets compare it to the real deal. I happen to have an FDE SBA3 on a 10.5" Anderson/PSA build so I pulled it off.

Here they are together in a few comparisons.

SBA3_Imitation_And_Real_Rear_2020-04-22_2.jpg

The real SBA3 has more casting marks. Note the circles on the rear of the rubber portion of the brace.

SBA3_Imitation_And_Real_Rear_2020-04-22_1.jpg

The thickness of the plastic around the sling attachment appears to be slightly thicker on the imitation.

SBA3_Imitation_And_Real_Left_2020-04-22_1.jpg

SBA3_Imitation_And_Real_Right_2020-04-22_1.jpg

Note the slight size difference in the pin/shaft/whatever you want to call it (circle in the middle of the picture). The imitation is slightly smaller.

SBA3_Imitation_And_Real_Bottom_2020-04-22_1.jpg

One major difference is the straps. The imitation is softer and feels stretchier. It also looks like it may be a bit longer. The real one's material feels sturdier.

SBA3_Imitation_And_Real_Strap_2020-04-22_1.jpg

The business part of the brace is how well it interfaces with the buffer tube. I have all the measurements below, but when trying both braces on a PSA mil-spec tube, both had the slightest wiggle and felt very similar. However, the real SBA3 had more defined structure inside the tube portion of the brace.

Real SAB3:

SBA3_Real_Opening_2020-04-22_1.jpg

Imitation SBA3. It might be a bit harder to see because it's darker and the grooves aren't as pronounced:

SBA3_Imitation_Opening_2020-04-22_1.jpg

Key differences:
- Fit and finish is better on the real SBA3, although not by much.
- The rubber portion is softer on the imitation. If the real one has a stiffness of 10, the imitation is about 8.5.
- The strap on the imitation appears to be softer and possibly longer. I didn't want to undo them to compare.
- The pin/shaft/whatever for the latch appears to be slightly smaller on the imitation.
- The thickness of the plastic around the sling mount appears to be slightly thicker on the imitation. That might add a tiny amount of strength.
- The texture is slightly rougher on the imitation.

Overall, they feel very similar. The real SBA3 has more non-cleaned up casting marks, but the overall fit and finish elsewhere is smoother and more refined. The imitation doesn't show nearly as many casting marks, but the details themselves are a tiny bit rougher. If I didn't have a real SBA3 to compare to, I would be hard pressed to identify any failings in the imitation. Even if the strap is slightly softer and the groves aren't as pronounced in the inner portion of the tube, those differences don't appear to have any ill effect on the function of the brace.

Key measurements as taken with a cheap Harbor Freight analog caliper and the thousandths place is approximated where populated:

Real SBA3:
- Sling mount ID: .37"
- Cheek rest width: 1.94"
- Tube vertical height: 1.453"
- Tube horizontal width: 1.66"

Imitation SBA3:
- Sling mount ID: .36"
- Cheek rest width: 1.94"
- Tube vertical height: 1.445"
- Tube horizontal width: 1.675"

Hope that helps everyone. Let me know if there is anything more I can answer.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top