JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have been trying to do some research on a box of ammunition I recieved from my Father after he passed away (WWII Vet).

Its a 20 rd box, with an old date stamp that says June 1 917. The ammunition looks like it is 7.62x54r ammunition, and it has a headstamp that says "Remington 17".:huh::huh::huh:

I have researched the best i can, and found that this seems to be some sort of military contract run from WWI. The box and the rounds seem to be in pretty good condition for being that old.

Does anyone know any more information on this ammunition?

DSC01893.jpg

DSC01894.jpg

DSC01895.jpg

Dont know anything about it, but a friend and I used to go up the mountain to the common shooting areas and pick up all the brass people left behind for re-loading. I remember finding casings that looked just like those a few times in the same spot, and never did find out what they were all about. Sorry I couldnt be of more help

If you have a caliper and can post some measurements it might help track down more info on it. It's tough to tell from the pic but I'm pretty sure that it's not the .17 Fireball since that is a "newer" cartridge that wasn't around back in WWI - WWII days.

I'm pretty sure that the 17 Fireball is a suped up modern caliber rifle round.

I am no expert, but this is what I found...

The 7.62x54R is a Russian rifle cartridge desigend for the Mosin-Nagant. Your rounds appear to be for the Remington M91 as shown here:
R02401_small.jpg
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRareUSRemington.htm

Is those rounds rare? Sorry, dunno.

Here is another example of some rem 17 for your viewing pleasure...
P87-6.JPG
http://www.buymilsurp.com/762x54r-remington-1917-20rd-boxes-qty-3-p-5661.html

Good information............Boy do those examples look thrashed......

Here is a picture with three rounds lined up next to each other.

Left = Russian 7.62x54r

Middle = "Remington 17" round

Right = .303 Enfield

By comparison, I would say that this is definitely 7.62x54r

DSC01899.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA