JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Last weekend I went to the Mason County match to watch, but I didn't bring anything to shoot because I knew I had to do a safety check before hand. Turns out, the RO would have done it prior to the match so I could have participated. At least I got to talk to people and watch some of the match to make sure that it looked like something I wanted to get in to.

I'd like to participate at the match at Paul Bunyan in Puyallup on Sunday, but so far I haven't had any luck contacting the club rep to see when I can do a safety check. Should I just show up to the match a couple hours early and hope that one can be done?

Looks like the club rep for Paul Bunyan is David Farrow? Try calling him--http://www.northwestsection.org/PB_page.html

If that doesn't work contact the Section Coordinator--Gary Wall. He will take care of you.

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!---USPSA (IPSC) is HIGHLY ADDICTIVE. There--You have been warned. Don't come crying to me when your monthly reloading supply bill is higher than your mortgage payment and utilities combined.

Hint: Get your wife/girlfriend/significant whatever started. Sure makes planning weekends/vacations easier.

Thanks for the reply. I just picked up a thousand rounds at the store during lunch today, I figure it won't last long. :)

Something I'm a little worried about, the magazine holders I've ordered won't arrive until mid next week. Would I be allowed to use my back pocket to hold extra magazines?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the reply. I just picked up a thousand rounds at the store during lunch today, I figure it won't last long. :)

Something I'm a little worried about, the magazine holders I've ordered won't arrive until mid next week. Would I be allowed to use my back pocket to hold extra magazines?

Thanks again!

Shouldn't be a problem. Heck---someone might have some spares to loan you. I've loaned new shooters guns, holsters, mag pouches, magazines, pretty much everything to help get them started. We usually put a new shooter with an experienced shooter to act as "coach" for at least the first match. GO SLOW, be safe and accurate. The speed will come with time.
Leave your ego at home, you are about to get your a$$ handed to you by little old ladies and small children. You will never meet a friendlier or more helpful bunch of people!

Hmm... got a discouraging e-mail. Sounds like I can't even get a Safety Check unless I already know certain people.

Hang in there, be patient. Look at it from the other side. Some guy that no one knows shows up with a gun and ammo and is rarin' to go? No one has ever seen him shoot---a complete unknown. From my point of view as a Match Director and CRO (chief range officer), telling him or her to "load up your gun, and when the buzzer goes off run out there and shoot the targets" just isn't going to happen.

USPSA is VERY safety oriented----they are not going to just cut you loose to go run-n-gun through a big field course without seeing some demonstration of your skills. If they offer a safety training course, take it. Might push your debut back a month, but it's well worth it. There is a LOT to remember, both before and after the buzzer goes off. And that buzzer is the ctrl/alt/delete for the human brain.

The "safety check" requirements vary from one place to another. Around my neck of the woods---Northwest Oregon, Columbia Cascade Section of Area 1, The standard regimen is three part. Safety manual self study, then a live fire training session, then successful completion of a regular match. There is also a local club that does "beginners" matches, and in the case of a known shooter or someone with LE, speed steel, IDPA, Cowboy or other experience we can do just a pre-match check and pair them with a coach.

The safety manual we use is here, under CCS business on the left side menu. home This is just for reference, the club/section in your area will have it's own training program.

There is also some "getting started" info on the USPSA website under "about USPSA": Welcome to USPSA.org - Home of the United States Practical Shooting Association

I understand it's safety oriented, I like that. The poor safety practices I see at the I go to the club I'm a member of drive me nuts.

Last weekend I went to a match at the Mason County Sportsman's Club, just to watch, ask questions, and learn. When I got there, the RO told me I should have brought my gun and he would have done the Safety Check and I could have shot that day. I was informed who the RO for the Puyallup matches was so that I could contact him ahead of time.

I'll just keep up the phone calls and e-mails. :)

Bill,

Thanks for the good advice, you were correct that I needed to show a little patience. :)

Early this morning I got the info I needed and went to help set up for the match tomorrow and was able to do a safety check. I'm looking forward to shooting in the match tomorrow and I'm sure that I'm going to enjoy this sport. :)

Bill,

Thanks for the good advice, you were correct that I needed to show a little patience. :)

Early this morning I got the info I needed and went to help set up for the match tomorrow and was able to do a safety check. I'm looking forward to shooting in the match tomorrow and I'm sure that I'm going to enjoy this sport. :)

Good. Go slow and be safe. Help reset and tape targets--AFTER they are scored. Ask lots of questions, and pay attention
to the gear etc. that works for others before you go and spend a bunch of money. Welcome to the addiction!

Bill
L-3292
NROI CRO

I just talked to David Farrow from Paul Bunyan Rifle Range, nice guy who spent a lot of time explaining the safety check process and the logistics. I cant make it tomorrow for the safety check, but will be going by this Sunday to learn what I can during the match.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top