Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Interested in a skeet gun

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by gastronome, Dec 22, 2014.

1. gastronome

gastronome Aloha Active Member 2015 Volunteer

12 Gauge and nothing too fancy, just looking for something other than my shorter barrel pump guns to bust clays with. What's the best value out there?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  2. solv3nt

solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

Price point?

3. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

For trap shooting, you would be fine with a single shot with a decent choke and a 22+ barrel.

Or go bigger and get an Rem 870.

In the middle would be an older pump (I like the ones with an adjustable choke).

4. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

For trap shooting, you would be fine with a single shot with a decent choke and a 22+ barrel.

Or go bigger and get an Rem 870.

In the middle would be an older pump.

5. gastronome

Not sure, maybe <1k for a nice auto loader that handles well. I used to have a Winchester Ranger and Remington 1100 years ago. What is the next step up from there? Browning, Beretta?

6. solv3nt

solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

Oh, I was going to recommend the Ruger o/u, but it sounds like you want an autoloader.

7. BEN LILLY

BEN LILLY Lincoln City, OR NRA LIFE MEMBER Bronze Supporter

For sleet, go with an 1100

8. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

What about Hail?

Joe13 likes this.
  9. Joe13

Use slugs or 00 Buck shot

10. ch139

ch139 teh gehtoe Active Member

"Skeet" is the game you're wanting to play, or are you talking about different clay sports in general?

If you're wanting to "play the game" (any of the clay bird games) a nice over under is great (keep in mind this is all subjective), have never cared for ottos in skeet, but thats just me.

If you're shooting skeet, the game/sport you can get away with just using an 18 to 20-inch CYL bore "defensive" type shotgun. Not optimal by any means, but is adequate and with some practice you can get very good at the game while also getting very good with that HD shotgun.

In a different life used to get to shoot skeet a lot. Almost always used "riot" or "police" type shotguns (18 or 20-inch barrels with CYL bores. 870s, 590s, 97s, Model 12 and whatnot - always fun to see someone put a big ole bayonet on a 97 and shoot a round or two of skeet).

Skeet is pretty fast and close in, so you can use these types of guns (again, they're not "optimum" but they work just fine). If its trap, five-stand, sporting clays or whatnot, those are all different games and the short riot/police guns are not what you're going to want. At that point you might just get a longer ribbed barrel for an 870 or find something more suited like a nice over under (again subjective).

11. ch139

ch139 teh gehtoe Active Member

Also, what are your "shorter barrel pump guns?'

12. gastronome

My old turkey guns w/24" barrels and interchangeable barrels.

13. B5Ben

B5Ben Boise Well-Known Member

PM sent